Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Asking for advance per diem?

  1. Senior Member
    Ariel's Avatar
    Ariel is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    652
    #1

    Asking for advance per diem?

    Advertisements
    Okay I read on here that you should only ask for 80% advance per diem.

    Why is that? I thought they give you that amount per day of travel.. so how do they over pay you?
  2. Senior Member
    NC@SEA's Avatar
    NC@SEA is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
    Posts
    2,097
    #2
    They only pay you 80% of your entitlement and then when you get to your final location to complete the travel claim the other 20% is paid out but that's if they didn't overpay you at first.
  3. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #3
    here is why I suggest taking only 80%:

    Per diem is a use it or lose it allowance; if you are alotted 7 days to get from the old to the new duty station and you get there in five, you check into your TLE hotel or into a GOV unit- you will either lose the the 2 days of TLE or have to pay back the 2 days of per diem you didn't use.

    if you only take 80% this helps cut down on over payments- and having to pay money back at the end of a PCS!
  4. Senior Member
    Ariel's Avatar
    Ariel is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    652
    #4
    ok so if they say we have 8 days and we get there in 5 days.. than we lose the 3 days of per diem pay?
  5. Account Closed
    Lady T's Avatar
    Lady T is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,708
    #5
    Welcome back. You have been gone for months!
  6. Senior Member
    Ariel's Avatar
    Ariel is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    652
    #6
    thanks yah i've been super busy w/the new bebe!
  7. Account Closed
    J.Ski's Avatar
    J.Ski is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8,962
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    ok so if they say we have 8 days and we get there in 5 days.. than we lose the 3 days of per diem pay?
  8. Senior Member
    kaaau's Avatar
    kaaau is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,818
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    ok so if they say we have 8 days and we get there in 5 days.. than we lose the 3 days of per diem pay?
    That is correct. There is usually a certain number of miles/hours for driving. So they base it on the number of miles, meals and hotels for safety during your move. But if you chose to take less time and check into your unit early, you will only be entitled to the actual days traveled. So you would have to give back the per diem that you did not use.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  9. Senior Member
    Ariel's Avatar
    Ariel is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    652
    #9
    thank you!!
  10. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    That is correct. There is usually a certain number of miles/hours for driving. So they base it on the number of miles, meals and hotels for safety during your move. But if you chose to take less time and check into your unit early, you will only be entitled to the actual days traveled. So you would have to give back the per diem that you did not use.

    miles per day is calculated at 350 miles per day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •