Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving without military's help

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Hello Moving without military's help

Advertisements
    So I am moving to Guam in the Fall and since I am going to be under command sponsorship and DF signed for an unaccompanied tour...then the military can't move my things.

So, I guess I'll be shipping him my stuff that I can fit into boxes..and send that way
    But we're going to be moving in a house..and I have a bed and dressers, and tvs....

How does that get shipped?
    Am I gonna have to buy everything over again once I am in Guam?

jw,
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I am not sure I understand-

you are not getting command approval- your DH is officially unaccompanied and you are paying out of pocket to get there?

if you are not command sponsored you cannot live in housing- you will have to rent on the economy- and he may have a hard time getting approval for OHA ( depending on his rank)

as for the moving part- you will have to arrange for an international move- you will have to contract with a moving co like Bekins, Atlas ect that will crate and ship you belonging to the oCONUS location-
    this will run about 3-5,000 dollars-

or you can sell everything and buy more after you get there.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    I am not sure I understand-

you are not getting command approval- your DH is officially unaccompanied and you are paying out of pocket to get there?

if you are not command sponsored you cannot live in housing- you will have to rent on the economy- and he may have a hard time getting approval for OHA ( depending on his rank)

as for the moving part- you will have to arrange for an international move- you will have to contract with a moving co like Bekins, Atlas ect that will crate and ship you belonging to the oCONUS location-
    this will run about 3-5,000 dollars-

or you can sell everything and buy more after you get there.
    they are allowing sponsorship..so once my paperwork goes through I will be able to go over there
  4. Banned
    Banned
    OK that's cool! so you will be able to live in housing or get OHA!!
  5. Senior Member
    I think it would cost a fortune to pay to ship your stuff yourself. You'd be better off keeping your stuff in storage on the mainland or selling it and buying new stuff.
    Needs work.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    OK that's cool! so you will be able to live in housing or get OHA!!

We're excited!
  7. Senior Member
    How did you get command sponsorship if its unaccompanied?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    First you must be married. Otherwise I didn't think you could have a sponsorship.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    First you must be married. Otherwise I didn't think you could have a sponsorship.
    Her siggy says she will be getting married in Aug. I am assuming she will be moving after they are married.

Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    How did you get command sponsorship if its unaccompanied?

I am guessing he got unaccompanied because well he isn't married currently and the command sponsorship will be coming or attempting to come due to the marriage to come.
  10. Senior Member
    If you're getting command sponsored they should be able to move your stuff. If your fiance/husband has not gone yet you can take what you would want over there to his place before the movers come and he can have it as part of his shipment of belongings and then you can just make do in the mean time... you're only gonna need one bed over there anyway. As far as a TV and stuff goes, I wouldn't bother shipping that. You could probably buy one cheap over there and sell it before you come back. Try looking into a storage unit wherever you're at or where you have family. The ones I've had run from $75-$150/month for a 10X10 and a 10X20.