Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving ?s

1. Junior Member

moving ?s

Advertisements
    Okay, I don't mean to be asking a stupid question here...but can't you tell the movers what to take and what not to take? I mean, they told me at the office near my house it was okay to have some things mixed in with my mom's stuff (I lived at home while we were separated). I have it in piles for them to take, it's organized, but I haven't removed my mom's stuff as I'd be moving the entire house. Then the office told me I also had to take anything out of the storage unit that wasn't mine. I can't, that's why we went with the movers, it's too heavy for me and her. If I was able to move it myself, I would have just done a DITY and saved the hassle. It's all in the front of the unit and her stuff is in the back so it's organized. I'm a bit confused as to why you can't just tell them after they take the last item, "That's the last item from the unit you need to take." Same with the stuff in the house. "Pack up the stuff in this pile, this pile, and this pile and that's all." If they send just a few movers, why can't you just tell them what not to take? It doesn't seem like it'd be all that difficult.

If you can't do that, then how should I have it organized? I can't move everything out of the way because most everything is hers and there are piles in different rooms. But there are very organized piles...
  2. Senior Member
    We are living with my parents for now, so all of our stuff is mixed in. We have a section of our things set aside and piled in the basement, everything in our bedroom, and a section of things in the garage. He has told TMO and they said it wont be a problem, we just need to direct them.
  3. Junior Member
    Okay, thanks, that's what I was doing. I was just getting some conflicting information from the tsp office and I wasn't sure what to do but thought if I'm going to pack it all, anyway, then i'll just do a DITY and cancel the paperwork to do it myself next time. But if they are willing to work with it then it will be fine how it is. Thanks!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    Okay, thanks, that's what I was doing. I was just getting some conflicting information from the tsp office and I wasn't sure what to do but thought if I'm going to pack it all, anyway, then i'll just do a DITY and cancel the paperwork to do it myself next time. But if they are willing to work with it then it will be fine how it is. Thanks!
    Yeah thats what we were told, I dont see why it should be a big deal. We are going to put post its on things we want packed too so there is less confusion. Thats what we figured too, if we needed to pack it all, we might as well move it all too. Good luck with your move
  5. Junior Member
    Good idea with the post-its.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    like I said in the last thread- they will pack whatever you tell them--- BUT you need to watch them- they are there to pack- and pack they will- and if it is not clearly marked or clearly defined they will pack it- if you are the only one watching 4 packers you need to make sure everything is clearly defined.

that is why I said HAve as much of your stuff seperated before they come-

and seriously- the TMO office does not care that you cannot lift it- or move it-

if they tell you that it has to be all seperate- then that is what you will have to do-

it is your responsibility to ensure the stuff that needs to be packed and shipped is ready and set to get packed-
    if they pack something you don't want them to pack and it gets to your new PDS YOU will be responsible for paying for it to get back to your parents.

also if you go over your weight allowance due to items not belonging to you you will pay for the overages- and it is about 1 per pound conus to conus.

please just try to get everything together in one room and one storage- after 20 yrs involved with the military and moves it will better for everyone involved if you listen to this advice.

if you cannot lift it or move it yourself- HIRE a STUDENT or a couple of teens to come and move it for you.
    even if you have to rent a storage unit close to the one you have and move it from one to the other until you can get the movers out to the unit.

oh and make sure you let TMO know you need multiple pack and picks ( if you have;t already)
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    like I said in the last thread- they will pack whatever you tell them--- BUT you need to watch them- they are there to pack- and pack they will- and if it is not clearly marked or clearly defined they will pack it- if you are the only one watching 4 packers you need to make sure everything is clearly defined.

that is why I said HAve as much of your stuff seperated before they come-

and seriously- the TMO office does not care that you cannot lift it- or move it-

if they tell you that it has to be all seperate- then that is what you will have to do-

it is your responsibility to ensure the stuff that needs to be packed and shipped is ready and set to get packed-
    if they pack something you don't want them to pack and it gets to your new PDS YOU will be responsible for paying for it to get back to your parents.

also if you go over your weight allowance due to items not belonging to you you will pay for the overages- and it is about 1 per pound conus to conus.

please just try to get everything together in one room and one storage- after 20 yrs involved with the military and moves it will better for everyone involved if you listen to this advice.

if you cannot lift it or move it yourself- HIRE a STUDENT or a couple of teens to come and move it for you.
    even if you have to rent a storage unit close to the one you have and move it from one to the other until you can get the movers out to the unit.

oh and make sure you let TMO know you need multiple pack and picks ( if you have;t already)
    ive got everything you said covered, but the last sentence confused me?
  8. Junior Member
    Thanks! Next time, I'm definetly doing a DITY. What is multiple packs and picks?
  9. Banned
    Banned
    sorry- I meant to say Multiple locations for packing and pick ups!! this means you need the packers to go to different locations to complete the move-

ie: the house and the storage unit (s).

I deleted part of the sentence on accident !!!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    sorry- I meant to say Multiple locations for packing and pick ups!! this means you need the packers to go to different locations to complete the move-

ie: the house and the storage unit (s).

I deleted part of the sentence on accident !!!
    okay nowwww that makes sense
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast