Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Okay more ?s

1. Junior Member

Okay more ?s

Advertisements
    I'm sorry this is the first PCS and I have no idea what I'm doing. I live at home currently while DH was away, and now I am joining him. When the packers/movers come, what do I need to do? Some of my stuff is intermingled with my parents' stuff, as I live there. I have tried to separate most of it out into the garage or separate rooms, but there is some stuff in the house. Even my storage unit has my stuff and my parent's stuff in there, and I don't want them to take everything as it's not all mine. Can you tell them what to take and what not to take?

How many movers come, and how do they coordinate it? I've never used professional movers and I have no idea how it will work. Will they pick up things from two storage units?

Also, can you get your car weighed full on the way as you're moving? It seems ridiculous to load it up, weigh it, and take it back out? Does it have to be the same weigh station as you weighed it empty?

Sorry for all the questions.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    I'm sorry this is the first PCS and I have no idea what I'm doing. I live at home currently while DH was away, and now I am joining him. When the packers/movers come, what do I need to do? Some of my stuff is intermingled with my parents' stuff, as I live there. I have tried to separate most of it out into the garage or separate rooms, but there is some stuff in the house. Even my storage unit has my stuff and my parent's stuff in there, and I don't want them to take everything as it's not all mine. Can you tell them what to take and what not to take?

How many movers come, and how do they coordinate it? I've never used professional movers and I have no idea how it will work. Will they pick up things from two storage units?

Also, can you get your car weighed full on the way as you're moving? It seems ridiculous to load it up, weigh it, and take it back out? Does it have to be the same weigh station as you weighed it empty?

Sorry for all the questions.
    it is best to get everything seperate from your parents- if you have a room of your own have everything ready in that one room- anything you don't want to go should be seperate from the stuff you want moved.

same for the 2 storage units- get everythng to one unit- take all your parents to one and yours to the other.

as for your car- take your car empty- get it weighed- the the night before you leave load it and take it to the scale- weigh it and then leave it packed for when you leave the next day. ( or get it weighed the morning you leave on your way)

if you do not weigh it when you leave- and something happens along the way- you will have no proof of the starting weight.

you will not have to weigh it again when you get there-

oh and they will send 2-4 packers to pack your stuff.
  3. Junior Member
    Thanks! I don't know if we can move the stuff from the units though--it's too heavy it's a bedroom set from my grandfather. We had help putting it in there. It's all in the front of the unit. Will that be an issue?
  4. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    It shouldn't be an issue but you should ensure that you notify the movers that it's large/heavy/bulky so they can bring appropriate packing materials. You'll also want to provide dimensions of each item and tell them if it comes apart.

I want to warn you that if you cherish anything so much that it would kill you if it was broken, don't have it packed. It's pretty normal to have things broken in each move.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Take Polaroids of expensive items and write the serial number on the back of the picture.

Double check and make sure everything got packed, before they leave.

Hide anything you don't want shipped.
    They once packed my trashcan, with trash inside it
  6. 0o0o0 My Airman's Jewel 0o0o0
    0o0o0 My Airman's Jewel 0o0o0
    I know that they come and move our stuff...I am not sure if they also pack.. but I am starting to pack some stuff...and I know we have to take my car somewhere for it to be shipped...I think it also has to be drained b4 shipping as well..I am not sure about anything just yet.. but I have went on militaryhomefront.com & militaryonesource.com & they kinda have a few things on there about moving. I am trying to find more websites or answers about moving. I do know that we have a limit of 5,000 pounds

I my new WiFeY'Z AloneInParadise, StonieBolonie, Army_Wife04, JasonsAngel, Sparks24, & ArmieGirl!~!!!