Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: PCS to Bliss

  1. Soldier's Sweetheart
    armywifecarole's Avatar
    armywifecarole is offline
    Soldier's Sweetheart
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Louisiana
    Posts
    975
    #1

    Help PCS to Bliss

    Advertisements
    So... DH doesn't have paperwork in hand, but has done his briefing to recieve orders and it's already posted that we are going to Ft. Bliss, reporting in Oct. How soon can we get on the waiting list for housing? Does anyone from Bliss know the wait (he's an E-4, and it's just the 2 of us).
    This is where it gets a little more complicated and I may not be able to find the answer... DH is in Germany, I'm in Louisiana. He's on his way back to Germany from Iraq soon ( IDK how specific I can be with OPSEC, but it's not important to my question anyway). He won't be taking leave when block leave is allowed after everyone returns, instead, he's saving it so he can leave Germany and report early to Bliss so we can have 30 days to get settled. When we get to Bliss, can he go ahead and sign in and get us in a house while still on leave? We own nothing, and I mean nothing so we need to go ahead and get housing so that we can buy furniture and all those other things you need for your first home. I guess what I'm asking is can he do this? Can he go ahead and sign in at the beginning of his leave and get us in housing so we can use that leave time to get settled and spend time together?
    Sorry it's so long, TIA.
    Come grow old along with me! The best is yet to be...
    -Browning
  2. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    PeppermintRei's Avatar
    PeppermintRei is offline
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    6,744
    #2
    I may know where your DH is stationed, mostly because I'm there.

    That being said there is a gal in a similar situation, BabyCakes, that is a friend of mine. You should PM her for more specifics, although they are going to Ft Stewart.

    My understanding is that your DH will have to PCS to Ft Bliss first without you, in process, then he can get on the waiting list. Then you have to wait until housing opens up to schedule your move to join him. As far as how long the wait list is, I suggest you contact Ft Bliss and ask them the same question. Some places don't have housing for married couples without children in which case your DH will need to find and rent an apartment before you schedule your move to join him.

    Yes, he can sign in when he arrives, but he won't have leave after that. He'll have to start in processing and apply for leave at a later date which they may or may not grant since it will be ordinary leave and not PCS leave.

    One last thing, your DH has to remain with his unit for a minimum of 90 days when he gets back from Iraq. He won't be able to PCS any sooner by not taking block leave, it just means he'll still have 30 days leave in his "bank" of leave time. Does that make sense?
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  3. Soldier's Sweetheart
    armywifecarole's Avatar
    armywifecarole is offline
    Soldier's Sweetheart
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Louisiana
    Posts
    975
    #3
    I forgot to add that his immediate superior(can't remember the correct term) put in paperwork to waive some of that 90 day period.
    Come grow old along with me! The best is yet to be...
    -Browning
  4. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    PeppermintRei's Avatar
    PeppermintRei is offline
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    6,744
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by armywifecarole View Post
    I forgot to add that his immediate superior(can't remember the correct term) put in paperwork to waive some of that 90 day period.
    Has it been approved? Nothing is final until you have the paperwork saying when you are leaving.

    He cannot get on the housing waitlist until he arrives at Bliss and signs into his unit.

    He cannot be on leave when he signs for housing because he technically doesn't belong to a unit at Ft Bliss yet.

    Once he signs in at FT Bliss so you two can get housing, his PCS leave is over. If he wants leave after he arrives there and signs in to get housing, he has to turn in another leave form and have it approved by his new unit.

    Where are you planning on living while waiting for housing? The wait lists are frequently 4-6 months long. You can't just show up and expect them to put you in a hotel or have immediate housing available.

    Am I making sense and answering your questions?
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    jeepgirl's Avatar
    jeepgirl is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Veteren
    Posts
    763
    #5
    Have fun in El Paso....
    Dont look for an apartment in the lower side...stay close to base....
    the lower side would be anything past walmart and the railroad tracks...
    Its hot in the summer....Hot, dry Hot....
    not much to do...
    Hubby there now and awaiting med board paperwork to return...
    then Outta there....
    have fun PM for any questions...
  6. Account Closed
    Babycakes's Avatar
    Babycakes is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,309
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by armywifecarole View Post
    So... DH doesn't have paperwork in hand, but has done his briefing to recieve orders and it's already posted that we are going to Ft. Bliss, reporting in Oct. How soon can we get on the waiting list for housing? Does anyone from Bliss know the wait (he's an E-4, and it's just the 2 of us).
    This is where it gets a little more complicated and I may not be able to find the answer... DH is in Germany, I'm in Louisiana. He's on his way back to Germany from Iraq soon ( IDK how specific I can be with OPSEC, but it's not important to my question anyway). He won't be taking leave when block leave is allowed after everyone returns, instead, he's saving it so he can leave Germany and report early to Bliss so we can have 30 days to get settled. When we get to Bliss, can he go ahead and sign in and get us in a house while still on leave? We own nothing, and I mean nothing so we need to go ahead and get housing so that we can buy furniture and all those other things you need for your first home. I guess what I'm asking is can he do this? Can he go ahead and sign in at the beginning of his leave and get us in housing so we can use that leave time to get settled and spend time together?
    Sorry it's so long, TIA.
    (This is all coming straight from Dh's words cause I have no clue)You can get on the waiting as soon as you get pin point orders and submit paperwork. And yes he can sign in early and get things in order.

    You and your SO are in the exact same sitsuation my DH and I are in. He was in Germany and I am in Oregon. He's PCSing to Ft Stewart at the end of the month, but I have to wait til about July until we get housing. We have nothing furniture wise, and no car. It's a tough spot to be in, but things will work out. If you need to talk my PM box is open for you.
  7. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    PeppermintRei's Avatar
    PeppermintRei is offline
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    6,744
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    (This is all coming straight from Dh's words cause I have no clue)You can get on the waiting as soon as you get pin point orders and submit paperwork. And yes he can sign in early and get things in order.

    You and your SO are in the exact same sitsuation my DH and I are in. He was in Germany and I am in Oregon. He's PCSing to Ft Stewart at the end of the month, but I have to wait til about July until we get housing. We have nothing furniture wise, and no car. It's a tough spot to be in, but things will work out. If you need to talk my PM box is open for you.
    But if he signs in early he is no longer on leave. I just want to make sure you understand that.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  8. Soldier's Sweetheart
    armywifecarole's Avatar
    armywifecarole is offline
    Soldier's Sweetheart
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Louisiana
    Posts
    975
    #8
    Thanks for answering my questions ladies, I appreciate the help. DH is supposed to have orders in hand once he gets back to Germany (soon-ish). We still haven't decided what to do From various things I've read here and on other sites, if we get on the waiting list as soon as we have orders in hand, then we wouldn't have to wait too long for housing.
    As I said, we haven't decided what to do really. It's such a weird situation, and I'm not sure how to make a move like that on my own. It scares me to move a thousand miles from home without having a house/apartment leased.
    Who cares, though?! DH and I will be living together for the first time since he joined the Army in Oct. 2006!
    Come grow old along with me! The best is yet to be...
    -Browning
  9. Junior Member
    Kitten35's Avatar
    Kitten35 is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    1,676
    #9
    I don't want to threadjack but I thought you couldn't get on the housing list at any base until you had concrete orders, in writing on paper orders?
  10. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    I don't want to threadjack but I thought you couldn't get on the housing list at any base until you had concrete orders, in writing on paper orders?
    generally this is true- but is completely at the discretion of the housing office.

    many areas will allow you to get on the list as soon as you are "penciled" in,, and then have xx amount of days to get the hard copies forwarded.

    some will allow you to get on the list- and will continue to skip over you until 30 days before you are scheduled to arrive as long as you keep them updated on the status of the orders-

    if orders get changed they just drop your name off the list.

    also this is branch specific.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •