Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Per Diem

1. Senior Member

Per Diem

Advertisements
    So i used http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/pdc...s/opdrates.cgi to find out our Per Diem rates.. but im a little confused.

I understand that its per day correct?? But is it per day - per person? Or is the 177 lodging cover all of us??

Is the 85 for local meals a piece? or 85 total for all three of us?

What is the Prop. Meals?? DO we get the Prop meals? or Local Meals?

And when does our TLE start?? is it right away?? Can someone explain to me how it works?? you can PM if you'd like...TIA
    "You are good, when there is nothing good in me
  2. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    As with everything in the Army, it depends. Are you staying on post in lodging or off post in a hotel?

You are eligible for TLE the day you arrive, however, as with most pays in the Army, you have to pay out of pocket first and get reimbursed after.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    As with everything in the Army, it depends. Are you staying on post in lodging or off post in a hotel?

You are eligible for TLE the day you arrive, however, as with most pays in the Army, you have to pay out of pocket first and get reimbursed after.
    we will be staying on post in lodging. And i knew we paid first which isnt a big deal as the inn doesnt charge you out of pocket they wait until you get your TLA before you have to pay. Im just wondering how it breaks down thats all...Ive heard from alot of the ladies over there that they are banking the TLA as its more then what they are paying out and im just trying to figure out how this is so we can do the same...
  4. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    The amount for lodging is per day for all of you. You are reimbursed exactly what your room costs (up to the maximum amount allowed), no more, no less. You either turn in the receipt and they reimburse you the exact cost or when you are in on post lodging, the hotel usually bills the Army directly for it.

Meals costs depends on where you are staying and the particular post. In some cases the family is expected to eat at the DFAC and will get the lower prop rate. In some cases you get the local rate. Each person gets a set amount. Regardless of which rate you get, your DH will get the highest amount, you as the spouse get about 75% of that amount, and each child gets an amount based on their age that is between 25% and 50% of your DH's rate.

Some of what determines what amount you get is based on whether you are staying in a room with a fridge and microwave or not. You get less if you have those because they expect you to buy milk, cereal, lunch meat, bread, etc and eat out of the room. That's really where you can save money is by buying your own food at the commisary and making meals in your room instead of eating out.

The per diem rates you are looking at is based on a single soldier going somewhere on TDY or moving. The family rates aren't posted anywhere I've ever found.

I'm sure it's not as complete an explanation as you would like, but there are way too many variables to properly predict these things. Even finance can't easily explain it without you going through everything they have to fill out and basically teaching you how their job is done. I hope this at least clarifies a little bit for you. If I haven't answered a question or you have a few more, let me know. I'll do my best to answer it.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    ok-- first take a deep breathe: here it comes::

LOL

first you are looking at the wrong chart-
    PCS per diem is different than TDY per diem and TLE:

PCS per diem is per pay per person payable like this:
    AD member is 109 per day- spouse and dependants over 12 are 84.75 per day dependants under 12 are 54.25 per day.

for PCS TLE- ( in conus ) is a max of 290 per day per family- this includes meals and incedentals- you have a locality cap for the room and for food- BUT cannot exceed 290 per day ... for a max of 10 days combines
    for TLA- the cap is higher but the same rules as TLE apply - but the max is 60 days total.

TLE starts the day you check out of your house- whether it is a rental or GOV unit- you can only use TLE at the old or new duty location.

Per diem is for enroute PCS.
    HTH's

Quote Originally Posted by army mommy View Post
    So i used http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/pdc...s/opdrates.cgi to find out our Per Diem rates.. but im a little confused.

I understand that its per day correct?? But is it per day - per person? Or is the 177 lodging cover all of us??

Is the 85 for local meals a piece? or 85 total for all three of us?

What is the Prop. Meals?? DO we get the Prop meals? or Local Meals?

And when does our TLE start?? is it right away?? Can someone explain to me how it works?? you can PM if you'd like...TIA
  6. Senior Member
    thanks ladies.. you both cleared up alot.. but im still confused on how people are making money?? lol.. I guess we will just wait and see.. thanks again!!
  7. Banned
    Banned
    ok- as for making money it is like this:

for us- there were 3 of us- 109 + 84.75 + 84.75 per day= 278.50 per day-

we had 9 days of authorised travel- 278.50 x 9= 2506.50

this is for ENROUTE TRAVEL: for almost each night we stayed in Days INN's or Comfort inns for 59- or 69 a = leaves 209 a day for food- we ate Breakfast free at the hotel - cost 0 dollars, we packed a cooler for lunches and drinks- ice - free from hotels- lunch meat, cheese, chips, bread mayo and drinks- 2.00 a day for lunch- leaves 206 a day for dinner- we ate a good dinner- applebees, BBQ or a local fav recommended by the hotel clerk= 50.00 - leaves 157 a day ( about) - leave a profit of 1400 dollars .

then you have the DLA- this is at least 1887-- 100% profit.

then you have TLE- your hotel costs are 99 a day that is paid dollar for dollar- then you get 35 dollars each a day for food- eat breakfast for free at the hotel, eat a cold lunch in the room - and pay for dinner- Mc donalds, apple bees- you can have a 35- dollar a day profit- 35 x 10 ( max TLE days) = 350 dollars.

and then add in your Partial PPM- 400 lbs - will equal about 250 dollars after taxes-
    your total profit- 3880.00 and change.

it is just being smart and thrifty.

oh and I forgot - you will also get BAH while in transit- and depending on when you move out and move in- that can also be considered in your pocket cash.
  8. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Ok Schofield works alittle different once you guys step off the plane here in Hawaii you will go to the Military Liason in Airport.

Your hubby will do a bunch of paperwork and then the liason will call Schofield Inn (If thats where your staying) and let them know you are on your way there. He will give you a form that you will give to the Inn .

At this point the Inn will not be charging you , because one your dh begans his improcessing and does so with the finance unit they will file all his TLE paperwork.

The Inn will collect payment every 10 days when the TLE money is deposited or at the end of your stay. Its hard for me to tell you how much it was because we were only in lodging for 8 days so by the time we got our TLE payment we were out of lodging in a house. I can tell you they deposited over $2800 bucks into our account and only 1100 was for the inn which we had to to go and make the payment to them.

so if you subtract 1100 from the 2800 thats 1700 bucks. Thats how people are making money .

That plus your DLA if you still have it are good pieces of change. Also my hubby filed receipts we had such as our ride to the airport in a taxi, the mcdonalds we brought in the airport and a few other things.

So just be prepared to foot the bill for your means for a few days unless you get your DLA soon.

Also please reread the PM's I have responded to of yours theres tons of info in there about this.
  9. Senior Member
    DH didnt get anything before we leave....so we can apply for DLA when we get there right?
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by army mommy View Post
    DH didnt get anything before we leave....so we can apply for DLA when we get there right?

yes, and you can get the money for malt and per diem then too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast