Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Command sponsorship

1. Junior Member

Command sponsorship

Advertisements
    Since I am new to all this exactly what is it and who will need it?
  2. Senior Member

CS is mostly for overseas locations. Your sponsor has to apply for CS if he gets orders, you have to have an overseas screening which is just getting a physical to see if you may require any special needs and if the potential location has the means to take care of it, you have to have this in order to be even considered for CS. If you get approved for CS then your sponsor will have to fill out paperwork for no-fee passports and visas, you need pictures, birth certificates and SS cards to get the passports. Most orders will specifically say you need a no-fee passport but some people say you can use a tourist passport. Just get the no-fee anyway even if you already have tourists passport, you'll need the tourists passport to travel for leisure. When you travel for leisure you need to have both passports because you'll need the no-fee passport to get back into the country your stationed in.

Anyone else? Did I miss anything or get something wrong, LOL! I am going by what I remember having to do to come here to Korea.
  3. Junior Member
    Thank you so much
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Does it all take forever?
  5. Junior Member
    I was not sure what it was for thanks
  6. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by navygirl8407 View Post
    Does it all take forever?
    It can usually take from 1-6 months. DH was in Germany, we eloped in Denmark in January, and then he just PCS'd to Italy last week. It's taken us since mid-January to get my CS. Some ladies get it much more quickly.... but ours took a long time because he was already overseas and had less than 2 months to get all of my paperwork submitted and approved.

If anyone is working on a CS or will need one soon, you can go to 2 places on MSOS for more info and support from those of us currently in the process or who have just finished the process:
    1. "OCONUS SO's" under Social Groups
    2. "My SO is overseas and I'm here in the States" posse in the "clubs, posses" forum.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Ive finally made it to Italy with my wonderful husband!!!

Hello

I also need help, Me and my 10 week old daughter have been approved for CS to Aviano, Italy. Went yesterday to apply for our no fee passports. my question is what do I need to get our visas?
  8. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Also keep in mind that Hawaii and Alaska are considered Overseas tours to so a EFMP screening will be needed if you wind up going there.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leenback View Post
    I also need help, Me and my 10 week old daughter have been approved for CS to Aviano, Italy. Went yesterday to apply for our no fee passports. my question is what do I need to get our visas?
    The passport office should help you apply for your Visa, it has to be sent out to the Italian embassy and then returned.
  10. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    Command sponsorship also depends on your spouses direct chain on command.
    My CS took TEN months to be approved because paperwork just SAT on people's desks even though my husband asked DAILY what was happening with it.
    He is Navy and he was stationed with a Marine Command, so that also made matters more complicated. (Marines and Navy apparently have different paperwork for this process and cannot understand each others, LOL!)

For Japan, I didn't need a VISA. I had a letter from my husband's command that I took through immigration and they gave me a Tourist VISA. I then went with my husband's ammended orders (saying I had CS) to IPAC (for Marines, PSD for Navy) and they stamped my passport for me with a "Re-entry" stamp allowing me to come and go from Japan as I pleased until XX date.

If you have any other specific questions, by all means ask. I remember this process all too vividly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast