Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: transporting firearms?

  1. Junior Member
    Kitten35's Avatar
    Kitten35 is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    1,676
    #1

    transporting firearms?

    Advertisements
    I’m sorry if this is a silly question—I should preface to say I don’t know anything at all about guns or firearms.

    DH and I are PCSing . He is already at the duty station and I am joining him in a few weeks. We are doing a partial DITY, so they are taking some of our larger furniture and I’m bringing the rest down in the car. He has some personal rifles for hunting that he wants me to bring that he did not take when he went (he’s just in barracks now because our lease doesn’t start till may 1).

    I do not posess any sort of gun ownership permit or anything but he does. Am I allowed to take them? I’d be crossing most of the southern states. He said it should be alright as long as I don’t stop in a state for too long and if ticketed, to tell them they are there and I am only transporting them to a new state where they will be registered. He also said to leave them in a case, locked, in the trunk, and the ammo in a separate case, locked, in the backseat so neither is accessible from the passenger seat. Anyone know any more about this? IS there anywhere I can go to get the specific laws?
  2. Member
    armywife84's Avatar
    armywife84 is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    202
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    I’m sorry if this is a silly question—I should preface to say I don’t know anything at all about guns or firearms.

    DH and I are PCSing . He is already at the duty station and I am joining him in a few weeks. We are doing a partial DITY, so they are taking some of our larger furniture and I’m bringing the rest down in the car. He has some personal rifles for hunting that he wants me to bring that he did not take when he went (he’s just in barracks now because our lease doesn’t start till may 1).

    I do not posess any sort of gun ownership permit or anything but he does. Am I allowed to take them? I’d be crossing most of the southern states. He said it should be alright as long as I don’t stop in a state for too long and if ticketed, to tell them they are there and I am only transporting them to a new state where they will be registered. He also said to leave them in a case, locked, in the trunk, and the ammo in a separate case, locked, in the backseat so neither is accessible from the passenger seat. Anyone know any more about this? IS there anywhere I can go to get the specific laws?
    When we pcs'd we locked then in their case, unloaded in the trunk....we drove from Florida to Kansas with no problems.
    I found this for you:
    Under federal law, a person is allowed to transport a firearm across state lines from one place where it is legal to possess firearms to another place where it is legal to possess firearms. The firearm must be unloaded and in the trunk of a vehicle. If the vehicle has no trunk the firearm must be unloaded and in a locked container (not the glove compartment or console). This federal law overrides state or local laws.

    Many states have laws governing the transportation of firearms. Also, many cities and localities have ordinances restricting their transportation. Travelers must be aware of these laws and comply with the legal requirements in each JURISDICTION. There is no uniform state transportation procedure for firearms. Once you reach your destination, the state law—or, in some areas, municipal law—will control the ownership, possession, and transportation of your firearms.

    It must be stressed that as soon as any firearm— handgun, rifle, or shotgun—is carried on or about the person, or placed in a vehicle where it is readily accessible, state and local firearms laws dealing with carrying come into play. If a person wishes to transport firearms in such a manner, it is advisable that he become aware of local laws by contacting the Attorney General's office in each state through which he may travel, or by reviewing an NRA State Firearms Law Digest.
    http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-e...a/firearm-laws
  3. Account Closed
    Capt.Obvious's Avatar
    Capt.Obvious is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,383
    #3
    Keep the clip out of the weapon, and the weapon locked in a case in the trunk or far back of your car. Seperate the weapon and the clip.
    You should be ok. If you get pulled over, just explain to them that you are moving, and the gun is in the car, but it's unloaded and seperated from the clip.

    Be sure to register your firearm with the Armory, if you will be taking it on post.
  4. Senior Member
    BlueBird's Avatar
    BlueBird is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,084
    #4
    I don't know where you can find it in writing but from experience you can put the guns, locked in the trunk and the ammo locked separately in the trunk. As long as you can't access the trunk easily from inside the car - does it have a locking access to the trunk?

    If you get pulled over declare that you have them in the trunk and put ur hands on the wheel right away.
  5. Senior Member
    swrlygrl's Avatar
    swrlygrl is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,694
    #5
    all of the above is correct, you will be fine, just remember the nylons for the bank heist
    bye for now
    W~

    "Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown



    [/url]
  6. Account Closed
    Capt.Obvious's Avatar
    Capt.Obvious is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,383
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by swrlygrl View Post
    all of the above is correct, you will be fine, just remember the nylons for the bank heist
    OMG.. I totally just sorted out loud!
  7. molon labe
    ForeverBaby's Avatar
    ForeverBaby is offline
    molon labe
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,725
    #7
    The magazine and ammo has to be totally seperated from the weapon and I believe the weapon has to be in a case. It's also a g ood idea to have all the paperwork on you just in case you get pulled over .
  8. Junior Member
    Kitten35's Avatar
    Kitten35 is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    1,676
    #8
    Thanks all. What do I do if he doesn't have the cases anymore? I think those are long gone. They don't usually go anywhere except around home.
  9. Member
    armywife84's Avatar
    armywife84 is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    202
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    Thanks all. What do I do if he doesn't have the cases anymore? I think those are long gone. They don't usually go anywhere except around home.
    We had a shotgun that didnt have a case, made sure it was locked and wrapped it in a blanket.
  10. Junior Member
    Kitten35's Avatar
    Kitten35 is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    1,676
    #10
    Okay. Is wrapping it in a blanket going to be worse though if I don't have a CC permit, or will they see that as good?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •