Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving question

1. ...

Moving question

Advertisements
    Dh an I have never moved before so we have a ton of questions. The biggest question is how far in advance can we apply for housing? Do we need to have the orders in hand to do so? Were going to Camp Lejeune this fall and i've looked online and it says the waiting list is about 5 to 8 months. What do we do if it's going to take 8 months to get a place?
  2. Senior Member
    I'm trying to remember when we moved to San Diego, so it may be different elsewhere, but I believe you can apply for housing as soon as you have orders in hand. You have to check in once you are physically there, and they backdate you to the date that you applied. If you do have to wait, I think your options are the hotel on base (if it's a short wait and there is a hotel/motel/inn on base), or renting out in town.

When we moved to San Diego, we had to rent an apartment for 6 months before we were assigned housing. We chose the community we liked and waited it out. The estimates were pretty accurate for us.
  3. ...
    Ok thanks.
  4. Junior Member
    You can also look off post, then you will recieve BAH so it will cover most of housing same as if on post. Personally I prefer off because it lets him get away from work, but I know some like convenience of on-post too. Contact the housing office at the base you are going to not the one you're going from.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed

The wait at Camp Lejeune is notoriously long, depending on what housing you are trying to get into. You would be better of to find a house/ apartment off base. You do have to have you rorders to apply, but I think you can apply as soon as you get them.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Most bases, the active duty member has to be checked into the new command to get on the list. Your best bet is get on the list when you get there and find an apt and just sign a 6 month lease while you wait for housing.