Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAS Jax

1. Senior Member

Help NAS Jax

Advertisements
    DF just got to NAS, we plan on getting married this summer and I plan on moving up to Jax to join him. Does anyone have any idea on how long the waiting list for housing would be? or where good areas to rent, that aren't terribly expensive are? TIA.
  2. Senior Member
    Orange park or Mandarin would be good places to start looking for rentals. Orange park is on the NAS side of the bridge. Right now is a great time to buy there though as prices have tanked and you have that great $8K tax credit.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. Banned
    Banned
    move to GA!! it is only 45 minutes from the base- the cost of living is cheaper and you will get BAH for JAX!

if you want to buy? you can buy a really nice house here ( 3/2) for about 150,000 or less.
  4. Patiently waiting....
    Patiently waiting....
    DH lives in a one bedroom apt for 645 a month I think. It's in Orange park...waterford at orange park. It takes him 15 mins to get to base.
    Someone suggested GA...Dh's boss lives in GA and drives an hour to work each day so that would be alot of driving...but I guess if he's up to it

Sorry I don't know how long the wait is for base housing!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crumper07 View Post
    DH lives in a one bedroom apt for 645 a month I think. It's in Orange park...waterford at orange park. It takes him 15 mins to get to base.
    Someone suggested GA...Dh's boss lives in GA and drives an hour to work each day so that would be alot of driving...but I guess if he's up to it

Sorry I don't know how long the wait is for base housing!
    the drive takes DH 45 minutes- it is not bad at all. well he never complains about it any way
    there are some places in orange park and manderine that can take 45-60 minutes to get to the base- for DH it was better to do 45 minutes highway than 45 minutes bumper to bumper red light to red light.....
  6. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    Both my parents were stationed at NAS Jax most of their career, so thats where I grew up. Orange Park and Fleming Island are nice, close, but traffic can be bad on Blanding (the road feeding orange park from base) and 17 (the road feeding fleming island) Try to avoid the West Side, which is right north and West of the base because its hit or miss if you'll get a nice area. From my experience, unless you are driving way to fast, it takes an hour to get to GA, so I wouldn't recommend that unless you were at Mayport. Southside is a little further, pricier, but nice. Middleburg is cheaper, but its further down Blanding than Orange Park. I grew up on the Orange Park/Middleburg boarder and it took my parents about 20 -30 minutes to get to work.
  7. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Ditto to Jenn..OPHS and UNF girl here. We own a home on CR220 and it takes DH about 30 mins to get to work in traffic, less w/o. Love the area though.

Don't bother w/on base, last I was there, it was total crap. BAH totally covers rent. There are a bunch of pretty nice apt complexes on Wells and rent isn't too bad. We also used to live at Waterford at OP, haha, next to Hooters!!! (and the mall and Target and about 4 miles from base)

I'm in HI now though, so I've only seen the area once in the last 2 yrs.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    we are moving there in a few months!

some areas of OP are sketchy though.......but the ones mentioned were pretty nice.....I've found if you go too far north/west of the base it's weird.

we're building a home there........can't WAIT to get there!
  9. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I'm in the Flemming Island area and I love it here. We used to live in some apartments here which were very nice and we own our house now. It's about 13 miles to the base.
    If you are interested in any info around here let me know and I can help you with that.
    I don't know how long the wait is for housing but all the housing right now is off base, they are rebuilding the ones on base so maybe by the summer they will be ready
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    I'm in the Flemming Island area and I love it here. We used to live in some apartments here which were very nice and we own our house now. It's about 13 miles to the base.
    If you are interested in any info around here let me know and I can help you with that.
    I don't know how long the wait is for housing but all the housing right now is off base, they are rebuilding the ones on base so maybe by the summer they will be ready

fleming island is nice........good school district too! we looked in that area, but ended up building a home up in oakleaf plantation.......we also looked across into southside by St. Johns County near Bartram Trail HS.....and Julington Creek Plantation.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast