Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think I can do it?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Confused Think I can do it?

Advertisements
    DH may not be able to fly up to help me with the drive down to Florida due to his training schedule. So basically that means I may have to drive from Mount Holly, New Jersey to Panama City, Florida, on my own with my cat. Do you think I could handle it? I think I can, but if anyone on here has done this or something similiar, could you give me some pointers?
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

Back in the Pure Romance Business....visit my page at
    http://michellemcmullen.pureromance.com
    DONE WITH GRAD SCHOOL! TIME TO CELEBRATE! :

2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I drove from Miami to South Dakota in a 2 seater truck with 2 cats and a hedgehog. It was a LONG trip.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I drove from Miami to South Dakota in a 2 seater truck with 2 cats and a hedgehog. It was a LONG trip.
    So it's doable then. He thinks I can't handle it. I keep telling that I can.
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mushortgurl03 View Post
    So it's doable then. He thinks I can't handle it. I keep telling that I can.
    It's doable. You may lose your sanity, but you can do it
  5. I am a Pielott.. Pylot... Pilote... I FLY PLANES
    I am a Pielott.. Pylot... Pilote... I FLY PLANES
    Blog Entries
    I drove from Orlando to Chicago basically by myself straight through, my little bro was in the car but he slept the whole way. Just make sure you have money to stop at a hotel if you really start getting tired, always have a back up plan don't try to push yourself too much. You can even go to the point of looking at hotels along the way that will let your cat stay too. It helps having an ipod with music you like and giving yourself points.. like oh I'm only a couple hours from such and such city. Any time you start to feel a little sleepy but don't feel like spending the night.. just stop and walk around and then reevaluate if you want to sleep somewhere or think you're awake enough to keep going. Also have someone you can call if you need a distraction. Let us know how it goes!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin Jollyfish View Post
    I drove from Orlando to Chicago basically by myself straight through, my little bro was in the car but he slept the whole way. Just make sure you have money to stop at a hotel if you really start getting tired, always have a back up plan don't try to push yourself too much. You can even go to the point of looking at hotels along the way that will let your cat stay too. It helps having an ipod with music you like and giving yourself points.. like oh I'm only a couple hours from such and such city. Any time you start to feel a little sleepy but don't feel like spending the night.. just stop and walk around and then reevaluate if you want to sleep somewhere or think you're awake enough to keep going. Also have someone you can call if you need a distraction. Let us know how it goes!
    Excellent advice! And I have my Iphone on me and it will constantly be on charge mode! YAY!
    -Me

7. Tough times don't last....but tough people do.
    Tough times don't last....but tough people do.
    You can do it!!!
    I drove from Northern Michigan to Fort Polk Lousiana (23 hours) right before New years...and I am getting set to do it again the beginning of May.
    I was alone. My best advice would be make up a few different fun playlists on your ipod to listen to. I made up one of like 80s and 90s some rap some punk, so I could vary it up, play something loud if I was feeling sleepy. I also drank a few Monsters. And I had a line up of friends who said I could call them if I needed to talk to someone to stay awake.

If you get too tired, like was mentioned before...getting out and walking around for a few minutes usually helps refresh and wake you up. Do some jumping jacks or what not in a parking lot.
    I actually just packed some blankets and pillows, so if I got to the point where I thought I might fall asleep driving I could find a hotel parking lot and take an hour nap in the car.

Gettin hype for my wild Single-Girl's weekend with BuckeyeAGF!!
  8. Senior Member
    It's definitely do-able! I just got back from driving CO to OK to AZ back to CO by myself with 4 little kids!! Just make sure you have hotel $$ in case you need to stop. We stopped every 4 hours or so to get gas/eat/go to the bathroom. It's nice to walk around and stretch your legs!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kt1449 View Post
    You can do it!!!
    I drove from Northern Michigan to Fort Polk Lousiana (23 hours) right before New years...and I am getting set to do it again the beginning of May.
    I was alone. My best advice would be make up a few different fun playlists on your ipod to listen to. I made up one of like 80s and 90s some rap some punk, so I could vary it up, play something loud if I was feeling sleepy. I also drank a few Monsters. And I had a line up of friends who said I could call them if I needed to talk to someone to stay awake.

If you get too tired, like was mentioned before...getting out and walking around for a few minutes usually helps refresh and wake you up. Do some jumping jacks or what not in a parking lot.
    I actually just packed some blankets and pillows, so if I got to the point where I thought I might fall asleep driving I could find a hotel parking lot and take an hour nap in the car.
    The blanket Idea is great...and I have 2 that are coming on the ride anyways. And yeah I still have my gym playlist so I'll use that to keep me awake.
    -Me

10. Banned
    Banned
    I drove from Miami FL to bellingham WA then took a 9 day ferry from WA to AK- with a 14 yr old and 2 cats.

it was a great trip!

tips for making uneventful and fun: make sure the car is in tip top shape,
    plan your route on either a GPS or Mapquest

look online for pet friendly hotels

plan to only drive 6-7 hours a day- leave late stop early- stay in hotels that offer free breakfast and a pool ( pack your swimsiut and a good book!)

when you stop- for gas or to use the restroom- stop only at busy gas stations, and at rest areas-

when you get out of the car- even if you think no one is close by- tell your cat they you will be right back- ( gives the impression there is someone waiting in the car)

never stop along the highway- if you break down- use your cell phone to call your insurance company to send someone- ( roadside assistance), do not get out of the car unless it is on fire or until the maintainance guy gets there or the police.

when you check into a hotel- if there is anyone standing behind you quietly tell the clerk you are traveling alone- and to please keep all information gathering low key-
    make sure they never write the room number on your key envelope.

when you check in do not carry anything in with you except your purse- get your room, and location and use the closest door to your room-
    take the cat in first- place him the litter box and set up his food and water in the bathroom and close him in- go get the rest of your stuff your bringing in- try to limit the trips to 2-3.

when you leave make taking the cat out last- keeping him in the bathroom until your ready to leave.

when you eat breakfast- it is ok to eat in the lobby- but when you go back up to your room, take an extra plate of food and coffee- it gives the apperance your travel partner is still in the room.

I have made 10 cross country trips without incident-

be smart, Act smart! and you will be fine!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast