Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Geo-Bachelor

1. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.

Geo-Bachelor

Advertisements
    Last edited by dotb182; 01-06-2010 at 10:02 AM.
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  2. Regular Member
    My boyfriend is forever away (I'm in FL he is in Washington) and we are TRYING to work it out to see each other once a month till I move there... But we talk on the phone all the time.. So I think it makes up for a little of the time that we could see each other...
  3. suckin it up & drivin on
    suckin it up & drivin on
    My dh and I have been living in diff states since last July due to him having one school after another. I've only seen him twice (for a few days after the 1st 2 schools), but we talk almost every day.
    Proud Army Wife of 2LT Parker
    Proud Mom of 3-Chris, Abbey, and Jordan
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    DH and I did it for 3 months until he made chief and got new orders. We would talk all the time on the phone (cell phones so that it was free since we are on the same plan), used webcams and talked over the computer, and I went to see him about once a month. he also came home for a weekend once during that time instead of me going up there to visit him.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We did it for almost 3 years. He came home about every 3-4 months on leave. I went down to VA twice. To me it was just like when he was on subs except with better communication.
  6. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    We did it for almost 3 years. He came home about every 3-4 months on leave. I went down to VA twice. To me it was just like when he was on subs except with better communication.
    Yeah we're thinking he might end up getting orders in DC or MD. but there is not way we both move up there b/c of our house. With the economy the way it is, we won't be able to sell if for what we want, and we couldn't rent it out for enough to cover the mortgage either... So i'd have to stay behind, until it would sell. Luckily DC is only 3 hours from here, so I guess it might not be that bad.
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I flew out to see DH every 6-8 weeks. Luckily, it was a pretty cheap flight.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by dotb182 View Post
    Yeah we're thinking he might end up getting orders in DC or MD. but there is not way we both move up there b/c of our house. With the economy the way it is, we won't be able to sell if for what we want, and we couldn't rent it out for enough to cover the mortgage either... So i'd have to stay behind, until it would sell. Luckily DC is only 3 hours from here, so I guess it might not be that bad.
    My dh has orders to MD. I'm in the same situation right now, but it's 6 hours away from CT.
  9. Senior Member
    We did it years ago, but it wasn't easy. It was basically running two houses at once for us. I'd do it again if I had to, but not if I had a choice you know? You're in a totally different situation than we were, but all things considered, I'd probably do it too if I were in your shoes. Depending on the command, they could be fine with it and allow him to take leave and such to go visit. We were at a command once when the sailors who were geo baching actually got to see their wives more than the ones who weren't.
  10. Senior Member
    We aren't doing it now, but unless something changes we're looking at doing it for 2-3 years starting late next year. DH will be about 5 hours away. I am planning to make my work schedule so that I have 3 day weekends, so that the kids and I can spend weekends with him as often as possible. Also I work on an academic calendar, so we'll be able to spend breaks with him (fall break, Thanksgiving, a month at Christmas, spring break, approximately 3 months in the summer). It will be a pain financially as we will have our mortgage/utilities here and have to pay rent/utilities at DH's post too... but we are alway saving in anticipation of the separation.