Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Got our orders - help help help!!!!

1. Regular Member

Got our orders - help help help!!!!

Advertisements
    Deep breath... We're going to Germany.

So I need to know from those of you that have been stationed there:

1 Is the wt allowance 8000 for an E3, or does an OCONUS move cut your wt allowance in half (this is according to DH; I'm hoping he's confused)

2 What should I do with our major appliances?

3 What kind of passport do the kids and I need and will the military help out with the costs?

4 What clothing should I just get rid of (what's the average temperature)?

5 Do I need to quarantine the cat, or is a health certificate going to be good enough?

6 Where should I get replacement furniture for the items I'm getting rid of before we move?

7 Is DH REALLY going to get 10 days to move us?

Thanks in advance
    Leaving this blank, y'all know why
    Banned
    I'm not positive but I'll for you!!!

3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kendermom View Post
    Deep breath... We're going to Germany.

So I need to know from those of you that have been stationed there:

1 Is the wt allowance 8000 for an E3, or does an OCONUS move cut your wt allowance in half (this is according to DH; I'm hoping he's confused)

2 What should I do with our major appliances?

3 What kind of passport do the kids and I need and will the military help out with the costs?

4 What clothing should I just get rid of (what's the average temperature)?

5 Do I need to quarantine the cat, or is a health certificate going to be good enough?

6 Where should I get replacement furniture for the items I'm getting rid of before we move?

7 Is DH REALLY going to get 10 days to move us?

Thanks in advance
    1)as far as weight - I do not think Germany has a weight limit- Japan does I think but not germany.

2)you can NTS your stuff for your tour length or you can sell them

3) you will need visas and passports- you can get the no fees thru the military

4) you should plan to keep clothing for all 4 seasons

5) not sure but I think you jsut need the health cert

6) no this is not a guarentee- it is called house hunting leave and you do not get it if you are going into housing, but other wise it is up to the command to authorise it.

congrats on the orders!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    One thing to know about the one from the military, is that it is only to get you into the country and to allow you to live there basically.

If you want one to be able to visit other countries and such you will need to get the one that you pay for.
  5. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    1)as far as weight - I do not think Germany has a weight limit- Japan does I think but not germany.

2)you can NTS your stuff for your tour length or you can sell them

4) you should plan to keep clothing for all 4 seasons

5) not sure but I think you jsut need the health cert

6) no this is not a guarentee- it is called house hunting leave and you do not get it if you are going into housing, but other wise it is up to the command to authorise it.

congrats on the orders!
    1.) There is an OCONUS weight limit and yes, it is 8000 lbs. You'll also be authorized a rapid shipment to ship a small amount of good, like your dishes and bed linens, extra clothes, etc. That begins with 500 lbs for the Service Member, 350 lbs for you, and the kids get about 150 lbs each, unless they are over a certain age (like a teenager).

2.) NTS is non-temporary storage that the Army will pay for for the duration of your tour in Germany.

3.) You'll need no-fee passports. You'll need to go to your nearest base to apply for the passports which will be returned to you with the sofa stamp. It will take 6-8 weeks to get your no-fee passports. This passport only enables you to live there, as gunsgirl said, you are required to apply and pay for tourist passports to travel outside of the country. Those cost $100 each for adults.

4.) As gunsgirl said, it's all four seasons. It can be bitterly cold in the winter and quite warm in the summer. Part of it depends on where in Germany you are stationed.

5.) shipping pets: please see this link: http://militarysos.com/forum/group.p...scussionid=202 No quarantine required, however shots and deworming as well as a special health certificate from the USDA is required. More explanation in the link.

6.) I assume you're asking about buying replacement furniture there? I suggest most place besides the furniture store. You'll get better quality for your money off post. Most people use IKEA or similar stores. Houses there are smaller and frequently won't accomodate American furniture. If you have a king size bed, or oversized couches I would suggest replcing them with something smaller.

7.) From prior experience, I doubt it. I've done pretty much all our moves alone. It all depends on your unit and if you guys all get to travel together or if you have to join him later.

Be welcome to the SOS OCONUS group: http://militarysos.com/forum/group.php?groupid=185 You should find most information you'll need to move over there, including information on the required EFMP screenings, pet travel, No-fee passports, etc. If there is a topic not covered, please post a new thread and we will help you find the answer.

I also happen to be leaving tomorrow, with my two cats for Germany. This is our second tour, so I've done it all twice. I would be happy to help in any way I can so don't be afraid to PM me. I apologize if my post wasn't clear enough, I'm trying to stay up late because of the time change and I'm still packing.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  6. ProudArmyWifeD
    Last edited by ProudArmyWifeD; 01-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.
  7. Regular Member
    Awesome, thanks so much everyone. He's only got a little while longer until we're together again for a little while... Then off to Germany...
    Leaving this blank, y'all know why
  8. Senior Member
    I'd bring the furniture you already own... why buy new stuff if you already own it... Rei and everyone else have the rest covered.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    I'd bring the furniture you already own... why buy new stuff if you already own it... Rei and everyone else have the rest covered.
    It may not fit in the rooms of where they will be living if the stuff is larger. Like my parents had a cali king bed when we moved to Japan and it literally took up 3/4 of the room when they had it set up. Thank goodness they had a huge walk in closet because otherwise they would have been screwed.