Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Questions about PCSing, again.

1. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed

Questions about PCSing, again.

Advertisements
    I'm tentatively planning on leaving Hawaii, going on a 2 1/2 month vacation and then living with my parents for about the same length of time, then joining my husband when he gets to our new duty station. (He'll be either deployed or at school when I'm gone anyway, so it's not like I'm just leaving him for the hell of it.) Anyway, we're planning on moving out of housing when I leave and I'm wondering what we would do with our belongings.

Will the military ship our stuff because I've left if we won't be in our new duty station for several months? Would we need to put our things in storage and then have it shipped just before Devin is sent back from the deployment and heads to school? Would it be a problem that we're packing our own things? I know they want the movers to pack stuff for liability reasons. Hmm.
  2. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    I think you can put your stuff in storage and then have the movers repack it from Hawaii to the new duty station. You may also be able to request an early move to your next duty station if your DH already has orders.

I would contact transportation and ask them about it. I know it can be done, I just don't know how to do it.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I'm tentatively planning on leaving Hawaii, going on a 2 1/2 month vacation and then living with my parents for about the same length of time, then joining my husband when he gets to our new duty station. (He'll be either deployed or at school when I'm gone anyway, so it's not like I'm just leaving him for the hell of it.) Anyway, we're planning on moving out of housing when I leave and I'm wondering what we would do with our belongings.

Will the military ship our stuff because I've left if we won't be in our new duty station for several months? Would we need to put our things in storage and then have it shipped just before Devin is sent back from the deployment and heads to school? Would it be a problem that we're packing our own things? I know they want the movers to pack stuff for liability reasons. Hmm.
    Have you thought about shipping your HHGs out early, that way it's at your new duty station when you arrive?!?

We left Hawaii in April 2007 and didn't arrive to our new duty station until July 2007. Our HHGs stayed in storage until our arrival. I believe HHGs can stay in storage for up to 60 days w/o having to file an extension. I know Gunsgirl would know more.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    you can move early- how they do this is they will come pack you out and send your stuff to the new duty station where it can sit in storage for 60-90 days ( I have to check to see which amount will apply)
    after that "free period " you will be responsible to pay for any storage costs.

if you leave the stuff in storage- someone with a Power of attorney needs to be present while they unpack and repack all your stuff.

Also if you are Navy- they recently implemented a new BAH rule for HI-
    if you leave you will no longer get HI BAH- you MUST tell them that you are moving off island -
    failure to file the move with finance ( PSD) will result in pay back of all over paid BAH, possible capt's mass, loss of rank and possible brig time for the member.
    the NAVY in it's budget crunch has decided that the DUTY station BAH will not apply for HI any more.
    OH and also your COLA with dependants will stop the day you fly out, and will revert to COLA with out dependants.
  5. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you can move early- how they do this is they will come pack you out and send your stuff to the new duty station where it can sit in storage for 60-90 days ( I have to check to see which amount will apply)
    after that "free period " you will be responsible to pay for any storage costs.

if you leave the stuff in storage- someone with a Power of attorney needs to be present while they unpack and repack all your stuff.

Also if you are Navy- they recently implemented a new BAH rule for HI-
    if you leave you will no longer get HI BAH- you MUST tell them that you are moving off island -
    failure to file the move with finance ( PSD) will result in pay back of all over paid BAH, possible capt's mass, loss of rank and possible brig time for the member.
    the NAVY in it's budget crunch has decided that the DUTY station BAH will not apply for HI any more.
    OH and also your COLA with dependants will stop the day you fly out, and will revert to COLA with out dependants.
    So what BAH would we receive if I'm vacationing to Alaska and staying with my family in Texas for 5 months? Texas BAH, or Alaska?
  6. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    I think you can put your stuff in storage and then have the movers repack it from Hawaii to the new duty station. You may also be able to request an early move to your next duty station if your DH already has orders.

I would contact transportation and ask them about it. I know it can be done, I just don't know how to do it.
    He doesn't have orders yet.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    So what BAH would we receive if I'm vacationing to Alaska and staying with my family in Texas for 5 months? Texas BAH, or Alaska?
    you would get BAH T- which is about 600-700 dollars a month until you actually move somewhere.
    BAH T stand for BAH in transit.
    you can have the BAH changed to where ever you will recieve your mail- in texas most likely. SPOUSEs resident location- no residence- you will recieve the BAH- T until you get one.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    He doesn't have orders yet.
    you cannot get a GOV paid move with out orders.

there is a number on the orders called a TONO number- they need this number to process the move.
  9. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    you cannot get a GOV paid move with out orders.

there is a number on the orders called a TONO number- they need this number to process the move.
    That's why we're unable to actually go through with our original plans for me to move to Alaska before him. I would hope that by the time I leave here, they will have arrived, but I'm not going to count on it. Which is one of the reasons why I was looking into staying with my parents- I'm not sure when we'll receive them.
  10. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    you would get BAH T- which is about 600-700 dollars a month until you actually move somewhere.
    BAH T stand for BAH in transit.
    you can have the BAH changed to where ever you will recieve your mail- in texas most likely. SPOUSEs resident location- no residence- you will recieve the BAH- T until you get one.
    Even if he's still living in Hawaii? He'll be deployed for part of that time but for the first month or so will be staying with a friend and may have our mail routed there.

I guess it's kind of frustrating because I'm not wanting to live in base housing- Devin loves Alaska and is wanting to stay there after his tour is up (he'll be getting out of the military if he can't continue recruiting in Alaska) and I'd rather just start off in an apartment or house off base rather than having to move. But if I'm only getting $600 a month, in order to save up for the first and last months' rent, it would take...6 months or so. (The $600/mo would have to go to storage fees, anyway.) It's almost forcing us to live in base housing until I can get a job and we can save up enough money to move off base. (Yeah, I know we can get an advance in pay, but I'd rather not. The move is costing us enough as it is between getting an entire new wardrobe for each of us, getting him a vehicle, buying things for my car that we'll need because of the climate change- like snow tires, etc.)

Do you work for one of these agencies on base? How do you know all this? I might be PMing you.