Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: advice?

=]

advice?

Advertisements
    DB found out yesterday he's going to germany when he finishes ait (in June). Last night we were talking about when we should get married so that i could go with him. We're trying to decide if we should do it when he comes home for 2 weeks in June, or when he comes homefor Christmas. I suggested maybe we could have a JOP this summer and then a big church wedding in maybe a year or 2, but he said he doesn't wanna do a JOP , he wants a church wedding, even if its a small one.
    Anyway, my question is, how long does it take to get the paper work done so that I could move with him?

ETA: We're not getting married just because he's going overseas, we've beentalking about itfor about a year now.

2. Senior Member
    I would get married asap so you're on his orders or you're going to have to move at your own expense.
    =]
    Thanks. i'mready for him to call tonight so we can talk about am I supposed to be planning a wedding right now haha

4. Banned
    Banned
    it can take 6 months=
    he will first have to get the orders extended= most of the time single members get shorter overseas tours- as married it will change the tour length ( most likely from 2-3 yrs)
    then he will have to ammend the orders to add you-

then you will need to get command sponsorship, do the overseas screenings, get the passport and visa done, and try to arrange for them to pay to move you.
    =]
    wow that sounds like alot

6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kasey shack View Post
    yes it is not easy getting everything done for a reg dependant move- but adding all the orders stuff too makes it even more difficult.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Good luck with getting everything done. It will work out, but it seems like you should be planning now according to the advice above
    Missing Him
    We're both in "a" desert on a mission
  8. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    it can take 6 months=
    he will first have to get the orders extended= most of the time single members get shorter overseas tours- as married it will change the tour length ( most likely from 2-3 yrs)
    then he will have to ammend the orders to add you-

then you will need to get command sponsorship, do the overseas screenings, get the passport and visa done, and try to arrange for them to pay to move you.

It's a lot. There are lots of us that have done it and are familar with the process. I just finished my second command sponsorship packet and I leave for Germany soon. You're welcome to PM me with any questions.

I suggest checking out the OCONUS SOS group which has a ton of information on the paperwork requirements that apply to overseas moves. http://militarysos.com/forum/group.php?groupid=185

As far as when you get married. The sooner, the better. Before AIT if possible because then his orders should be issued as an accompanied tour. You still have to do all the Command Sponsorship paperwork, except for the ammendment to change the orders from 2 years to 3 years. Let me tell you, saving that much paperwork will save you many headaches in the future.

Good Luck with your decision.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  9. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by kasey shack View Post
    Welcome to Army spouse life. It's a trial by fire for sure.

First piece of advice - save yourself some trouble, get POA's to do everything. Expect to do everything yourself too.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.