Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to make a decision

1. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed

I need to make a decision

Advertisements
    And, I could use some input!

My husband has orders to Alaska- he's off his current ship in mid-September.
    I'll be graduating in May and will be going on vacation to Alaska with my family (this has been planned since before my husband got orders) for a couple of months in June-July.

I have 2 options: I can stay in Alaska...Devin will join us in October or November or so...or I can go back with my parents once the trip is over, stay with my family and save up a bit of money. (About $2000/mo for BAH and $1000 in childcare that I won't be paying for.)

If I go early, I will be looking for a job right away.

If I go a bit later, I'll probably start an accredited financial planner program (the exam would be proctored at a local college). I would still need to get in about 1000 hours of experience before I could get certified, but it would give me something to work on while I wait. I'll stay at home with my daughter and will also have a bit of time to focus on some of the things I'm interested in.

I see the benefits of both...on the one hand I can get settled into Alaska, hopefully find a job, would move in the summer and not at the end of fall, which I imagine would be a huge adjustment. On the other hand, I could get started on the certificate, would get to spend more time with my family and have the ability to save up some money which would help with our expenses getting moved into a new place (and the vehicle that we will need to buy my husband once we get there).

So...what would you do? My parents are willing to bring us in for a few months...my little sister moved out so there will be three extra bedrooms.
  2. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    I would join my husband as soon as I could. You never know what could happen if you wait (deployment, etc)
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  3. Junior Member
    I'd go home and save as much as possible. I think I'd wait on the finance planner program, until you get to Alaska, and maybe get a second job to save save save. (I'm kind of a crazy saver). Just something part time maybe where you could work out child care with someone else so you dont have to pay for it.

Then start the program in Alaska (that way the requirements will be just for one state) when you go there with hubby.
  4. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    I would join my husband as soon as I could. You never know what could happen if you wait (deployment, etc)
    We would be joined together at the same time. In the first scenario, I would be up there on my own until he got there, in the second scenario, I would be with my family and meet him up there once he PCS's. He'll be going on part of a deployment with his ship and then heading to recruiter school so we would be apart anyway. And, he won't be deploying as a recruiter.
  5. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    I'd go home and save as much as possible. I think I'd wait on the finance planner program, until you get to Alaska, and maybe get a second job to save save save. (I'm kind of a crazy saver). Just something part time maybe where you could work out child care with someone else so you dont have to pay for it.

Then start the program in Alaska (that way the requirements will be just for one state) when you go there with hubby.
    The program is nationally accredited, self-paced. Per the recommendation of my family economics instructor.

In Alaska, I would be able to get a job (or at least look), in Texas with my family, I would not want to get a job for only three months, which is why I was going to focus on the certificate.
  6. I love all my wifeys!! They rock my socks!!
    I love all my wifeys!! They rock my socks!!
    all I am thinking is how you are going from one extreme to another

Hawaii to Alaska!! I would catch the massive flu

YES I AM ADDICTED!!!!
  7. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mara Ray View Post
    all I am thinking is how you are going from one extreme to another

Hawaii to Alaska!! I would catch the massive flu
    Oh, I'm going to die for sure. We had a hard time acclimating to the Texas winters.
  8. I love all my wifeys!! They rock my socks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Oh, I'm going to die for sure. We had a hard time acclimating to the Texas winters.
    I am sure you will be ok. Just stay indoors a lot and MSOS

YES I AM ADDICTED!!!!
  9. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mara Ray View Post
    I am sure you will be ok. Just stay indoors a lot and MSOS
    Oh for sure. Y'all will probably have to listen to me pissing and moaning about the weather for the first couple of months.
  10. I love all my wifeys!! They rock my socks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Oh for sure. Y'all will probably have to listen to me pissing and moaning about the weather for the first couple of months.
    I will listen

it will be fun to get new clothes!!

YES I AM ADDICTED!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast