Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: relocation question

1. Junior Member

relocation question

Advertisements
    How long will it take to set up a move to an PCS location? I just got power of attorney and was curious as to how long it takes the military to set up the move between two bases--paperwork and all. I was thinking about a month-is that accurate?
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

when we moved here, we moved from Okinawa and once we had orders, we were out of there in 2 weeks. that included movers, plane tickets, everything. We took leave in route on the way here and went and saw DH's family, but it can be done really quickly, you just have to get on people to do their job.

3. Banned
    Banned
    the actual move from initial contact to pack out as little as 5 days- just depends on how busy the movers are at the time you want to move.
  4. Junior Member
    thanks! We want to move end of April-I won't be ready until then with things like wrapping up my job, selling stuff, etc. Can you get it all set up early but then not have them come until a certain day or time frame? I don't want to dally here but I'm not quite ready to go, either. :-)
    Last edited by Kitten35; 04-02-2009 at 06:55 PM.
  5. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    thanks! We want to move end of April-I won't be ready until then with things like wrapping up my job, selling stuff, etc. Can you get it all set up early but then not have them come until a certain day or time frame? I don't want to dally here but I'm not quite ready to go, either. :-)
    You can pick your date. Once it's picked, you can't change it usually unless it's a bonafide emergency.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    you can set up today to have them come on the 30th- and if you have orders already that's what you should do- waiting till the last minute can result in not getting out when you need to-
  7. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you can set up today to have them come on the 30th- and if you have orders already that's what you should do- waiting till the last minute can result in not getting out when you need to-
    you can set the move up in advance-- definitely don't wait! most resources i've read say 60 days in advance is optimal.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  8. Junior Member
    Okay thank you! I'm just waiting on getting the Power of Attorney paperwork so that I can do it, they won't let me without. We don't really have orders persay--it's to his AIT station, which is going to be at least 8 months, so it's not too crucial as per specific day I dont think but I'd like to do it asap in May.
  9. Junior Member
    Also, can they make the check for the DLA and the advance on the DITY out to me not hubby? We don't have a joint account yet, and I'd like them to do it to me not him since I'm the one handling the move and paying all the bills, haha. Can they do that if I have POA?
  10. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    Also, can they make the check for the DLA and the advance on the DITY out to me not hubby? We don't have a joint account yet, and I'd like them to do it to me not him since I'm the one handling the move and paying all the bills, haha. Can they do that if I have POA?
    No.

DLA and the advance will be direct deposited into the account that your DH's paycheck is deposited into. There are no actual checks anymore.

ETA: Pay can only be paid to the military member unless the command has to garnish wages for child support or something like that.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast