Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Alaska (need advice!)

1. New Member

Moving to Alaska (need advice!)

Advertisements
    So I am moving back up to Fairbanks before DH gets back from deployment. That way we can do the move in the SUMMER TIME. Anyways, I'm moving from Colorado Springs, CO to Fairbanks, AK and I need to get it done before August this year. I looked at renting a Uhaul trailer (I have a truck here) and towing our goods, but it will cost just shy of $4000! And then the cost of gas, hotels, food, etc. Plus, I'll have my baby girl with me (she'll be 10 months in July). I'm trying to find a company that will ship BOTH our truck AND our household goods. I have MAYBE 1 bedrooms worth of goods. Or I am trying to find a company for the truck and a company for the goods that will cost less or around the same amount as the Uhaul would have. Any ideas on the best way to do this whole move?! Or does anyone know a way of shipping both goods and truck together? Ugh. I'm not sure if we can get a sponser move because they didn't sponser me to move to Alaska the first time...and we didn't have them move me back to CO either. Any ideas on how that works either?

One True Love
  2. Banned
    Banned
    before you move you must get command approval and do the medical screenings.

if he is on unaccompanied orders he will need to request that they be changed and his tour in AK could be extended.
    even tho AK is in the us it is considered OCONUS- and you cannot just "decide" to move there.

they will not pay for you to go- unless you get approval to go- and then it is iffy if they will pay any way.

he needs to find out from the people in fiarbanks what you need to do.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleW View Post
    So I am moving back up to Fairbanks before DH gets back from deployment. That way we can do the move in the SUMMER TIME. Anyways, I'm moving from Colorado Springs, CO to Fairbanks, AK and I need to get it done before August this year. I looked at renting a Uhaul trailer (I have a truck here) and towing our goods, but it will cost just shy of $4000! And then the cost of gas, hotels, food, etc. Plus, I'll have my baby girl with me (she'll be 10 months in July). I'm trying to find a company that will ship BOTH our truck AND our household goods. I have MAYBE 1 bedrooms worth of goods. Or I am trying to find a company for the truck and a company for the goods that will cost less or around the same amount as the Uhaul would have. Any ideas on the best way to do this whole move?! Or does anyone know a way of shipping both goods and truck together? Ugh. I'm not sure if we can get a sponser move because they didn't sponser me to move to Alaska the first time...and we didn't have them move me back to CO either. Any ideas on how that works either?
    Are you moving on orders? Does he have the hard copy orders already?

If so, you can move up there. Moving companies will not move your vehicle, you will need to drive it to Seattle (or wherever the closest shipper is for you) and they will ship it from there. But you need to do this about a month before you leave or expect to be carless for several weeks. And than you will have to drive down to Anchorage to get it.

If you are not on orders everything will naturally be out of pocket. Still moving companies will not move your vehicle and you will have to drive it to the shippers and than drive down to pick it up in Anchorage.

My husband did mentioned doing a move via getting one of those pods. He says vehicles can go in those and they can be shipped that way. What but that is a hire the pod, they bring it to you and you pack and load it up. They come and get it and then move it and deliver it to you at your location which than you unpack it and they come pick it up. DH says a vehicle can go in those but mentioned having to have someone come in and strap down the car so it doesn't get tossed around while moving.

As for the sponsor thing. Eh sometimes the incoming sqds assign them and sometimes they don't. I never count on them and either try and make online friends in my new location to be or figure it out all myself.

Good luck!

ETA: I may be confused. Is DH already there but simply deployed? And did you move yourself to CO? If so than you will have to do everything out of pocket from my understanding. Were you ever on his orders for AK? Or was he stationed up there before you were married? I do know if you are not on his orders you will have to get clearance to go as it is considered an overseas base.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Him- Iraq then we will be at Ft wainwright again
    I am going back in September good luck with the move
  5. New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Are you moving on orders? Does he have the hard copy orders already?

If so, you can move up there. Moving companies will not move your vehicle, you will need to drive it to Seattle (or wherever the closest shipper is for you) and they will ship it from there. But you need to do this about a month before you leave or expect to be carless for several weeks. And than you will have to drive down to Anchorage to get it.

If you are not on orders everything will naturally be out of pocket. Still moving companies will not move your vehicle and you will have to drive it to the shippers and than drive down to pick it up in Anchorage.

My husband did mentioned doing a move via getting one of those pods. He says vehicles can go in those and they can be shipped that way. What but that is a hire the pod, they bring it to you and you pack and load it up. They come and get it and then move it and deliver it to you at your location which than you unpack it and they come pick it up. DH says a vehicle can go in those but mentioned having to have someone come in and strap down the car so it doesn't get tossed around while moving.

As for the sponsor thing. Eh sometimes the incoming sqds assign them and sometimes they don't. I never count on them and either try and make online friends in my new location to be or figure it out all myself.

Good luck!

ETA: I may be confused. Is DH already there but simply deployed? And did you move yourself to CO? If so than you will have to do everything out of pocket from my understanding. Were you ever on his orders for AK? Or was he stationed up there before you were married? I do know if you are not on his orders you will have to get clearance to go as it is considered an overseas base.
    We were already stationed in Fairbanks, and I was there almost a year with him before they deployed. (I'm assuming that I am on his orders for up there, because we receive BAH and COLA for Alaska) but he was stationed up there before we married. He's going to be stationed there AGAIN, which is a new development because he was supposed to be going to Kentucky. MOST of our household goods and ONE of our trucks are in storage in Fairbanks. (We had two trucks, but one is being shipped down here because we traded it in for a truck I have here now, which we mostly did for a nicer vehical and for less hassle since we were supposed to go to Kentucky.) We still have two trucks but one is in AK and now one is here (I know it's really confusing, and I apologize).
    The container you were talking about, as far as you know, can I use one for both my truck and the few household items I have here, or would I need to do them seperate? (I will do some research into it as well).
    Sorry this was so long. And thanks for your help!

One True Love
  6. New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy88443 View Post
    I am going back in September good luck with the move
    Thanks, it's just more of a pain in the butt this time around than it was when I first moved up there!

One True Love
  7. Senior Member
    Ok...still slightly confused. Let me try and unconfuse myself. Fix any points I get wrong.

~Your husband is on deployment but he is stationed in Ak
    ~You were living up there previously on his orders (went through the clearance and everything?)
    ~DH went on deployment and you went to CO
    ~DH is coming home and will be stationed again in AK
    ~You want to move back up there since his deployment is over

Is that all right? So if he is on the same orders as before or his orders from before are just extended than you should still be included. Which will mean whatever you need to move will be out of pocket. If he is currently stationed elsewhere (but obviously deployed) and is getting stationed in AK, you need to make sure you are on the orders or he will need to get you on them in order for basically the military to accept you (not sure exactly what happens if dependents aren't cleared for overseas tours). I think since you have opted to live in a different state than where he is stationed (again assuming he is stationed somewhere other than AK) than either way you will have to pay for the move yourself.

As for the pod thing I am talking about, yes it would be for all of your stuff. If they will allow a vehicle in it, that is in addition to your household stuff. One thing to remember is regardless of if you do that (if allowed) or take it to a shipper make sure when it is ready to be shipped it has less than I think it is a 1/4 tank of gas. One eighth would be even better. But yes, contact one of the pod type businesses and ask them for specifics.

ETA: this is what I can remember from when I moved and from what I know.
  8. New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Ok...still slightly confused. Let me try and unconfuse myself. Fix any points I get wrong.

~Your husband is on deployment but he is stationed in Ak
    ~You were living up there previously on his orders (went through the clearance and everything?) but he moved me, not command sponsorship
    ~DH went on deployment and you went to CO
    ~DH is coming home and will be stationed again in AK
    ~You want to move back up there since his deployment will be over
    I didn't figure that we could get command sponsorship this time around (even though we didn't do it in the first place) but I thought I would ask. I am on his paperwork as a dependant (I should have realized this considering I filed our taxes and all that). I'm sorry this is so confusing. It's been a REALLY long day. Thank you SO MUCH for your help! You have no idea how much I appreciate it!

One True Love
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    sorry I cant be any help, but I did want to say welcome...back? to AK.
  10. New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDarland View Post
    sorry I cant be any help, but I did want to say welcome...back? to AK.
    Yes, back. How long have you been there? (I'm assuming that's where you are based on your comment, )

One True Love
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast