Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I found out our options....

1. Senior Member

Confused I found out our options....

Advertisements
    I know I don't have to decide for awhile, but I'm a worrier and seriously losing my mind over it. I get a place of interest in mind and then hear a horror story about it, so....I just don't know. If you could pick your #1 out of these places, where would you go? And if you would just crawl under a rock and die if you had to go to one of them, which one? Also, if you've lived on base at any of these places....do you know if there was a huge wait list? Would a lower rank not be a good idea there? Thank you to anyone who responds.

Fort Shafter, HI
    Helemano, HI
    Fort Bragg, NC
    MacDill AFB, FL
    Columbus, OH
    Fort Hood, TX
    Fort Bliss, TX
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Fort Carson, CO
    Fort Detrick, MD
    Fort Drum, NY
    Fort Gordon, GA
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Fort Meade, MD
    Fort Monmouth, NJ
    Fort Riley, KS
    Fort Stewart, GA
    Fort Greely, AK
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Fort Buchanon, PR
  2. Senior Member
    Personally, I'd wanna go to Ft. Lewis or Ft. Carson. I would not want Ft. Hood or Ft. Bliss.

It depends on where you grew up though... I'd go someplace new and different!
    Cori Aletta______ Avery William

09.23.09_________06.13.11
  3. bend...and snap!
    bend...and snap!
    My dh isn't Army, but honestly I've been to most of those areas. I would want to go to MacDill or Fort Carson. I love, love, love Tampa and CO. I would NOT want to go to Columbus, OH right now, simply b/c the job market isn't great up there and I love to work. I couldn't handle not having a job.
  4. Senior Member
    I'm from Michigan so almost all of them is going to be a 360 change. I kinda feel like "ya! let's go to hawaii!" but then think, it's SO far away, ya know? I'm originally from Hawaii and I'd love to go back, but I'm still unsure about it. I've lived in CA and NV too and hated it, but those aren't options anyway. I was looking at the housing in TX and noticed some of them don't have A/C! How the hell would you survive? lol I was also interested in MacDill AFB in FL, but all there housing is apts. and I have big dogs so I don't think that would be a good idea.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
    My dh isn't Army, but honestly I've been to most of those areas. I would want to go to MacDill or Fort Carson. I love, love, love Tampa and CO. I would NOT want to go to Columbus, OH right now, simply b/c the job market isn't great up there and I love to work. I couldn't handle not having a job.
    Ya, I'm not interested in OH at all! lol I hate it there. Some of the worst drivers I've ever seen. I don't work, but Ohio would barely be a change from MI at all. I want something new and exciting. As of right now, I think Fort Carson is at the top of my list but I'm a little concerned if we'd be able to get into housing fairly soon because of my DH's rank. I guess I'm concerned about that anywhere we'd go though.
  6. Formerly known as stapletonlove
    Formerly known as stapletonlove
    You should come to Stewart. I am here. Lol. It's a beautiful post. And it's close to Savannah, GA

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSnap View Post
    I'm from Michigan so almost all of them is going to be a 360 change. I kinda feel like "ya! let's go to hawaii!" but then think, it's SO far away, ya know? I'm originally from Hawaii and I'd love to go back, but I'm still unsure about it. I've lived in CA and NV too and hated it, but those aren't options anyway. I was looking at the housing in TX and noticed some of them don't have A/C! How the hell would you survive? lol I was also interested in MacDill AFB in FL, but all there housing is apts. and I have big dogs so I don't think that would be a good idea.
    I didn't even see Hawaii on the list at first... that'd be my top pick! That's actually where my husband and I are hoping and crossing our fingers to go next.
    Cori Aletta______ Avery William

09.23.09_________06.13.11
  8. bend...and snap!
    bend...and snap!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcclady View Post
    I didn't even see Hawaii on the list at first... that'd be my top pick! That's actually where my husband and I are hoping and crossing our fingers to go next.
    See, I am the opposite. I don't want to go to Hawaii. For vacation it's fine, but I wouldn't want to live there. The cost of living is just too high for me. Then again, I never have and probably never will live on base. Living on base might help offset the cost a little bit, but it will still probably be more expensive than the continental U.S.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Honestly everyone is going to have a different opinion.

What are you use too big city, small town and what are your values? Do you want churches, nice base, good places to eat, nightlife nice off base housing etc..
  10. Senior Member
    I know this is probably stupid, but the only thing I'm worried about is my dogs. I know most of these places don't have yards, which I'll just have to figure something out, but if I could find housing that did, I would just be over the moon. I also don't want to be in an apt. as long as it's on the top floor. Having to bring the dogs down with my daughter from an upstairs apt. is my worst nightmare. I've done it once, and never will again if I can get around it. Other than that, I'm pretty open to anything. Hot, cold, middle of nowhere, big city, etc. I just love moving and I'm ready for change.

Edit: Living off base would be a worst case scenario for me, so that's why I'm kinda basing everything on what they're on-post housing is like.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast