Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Really serious situation

1. Nikolai is here!!
    Nikolai is here!!

Question Really serious situation

Advertisements
    OK I will try to explain this as simply as possible.

DH leaves in June for the first portion of EOD school. It is of course considered a TDY. DH found out today that he can choose to do a TDY en route or something like that. WHere I would move up there with him and the army would move us from Redstone Armory to Eglin once he completes that portion of the school. We of course would have to move the ourselves to Redstone.

Now here are the things I have to take into account. It is only four hours up there. I will be 7,8 and give birth while he is still stationed there. So he may miss the birth if I dont go up there with him.

I dont know if we could get housing up there and the hospital doesnt have an obgyn as far as I know. What would you do in a situation like this.

Would you stay put and have the baby without him? Or would you TDY with him to Redstone and hope you get DLA to help get a new apartment if we cant get a house on base.
    Gearing up for deployment #2
  2. *
    I would move but that's b/c I hate being away from my SO. My exH had to go to school in Texas (we're in VA) and I moved myself out there. However, I waited until I delivered our son in VA and he was 4 months. Then I drove across country and got an apartment outside of base. They let my exH fly home for the birth of our son though. Could you wait until after your little one is born? You said the hospital where you'd be going doesn't even have an OB/GYN.
  3. Nikolai is here!!
    Nikolai is here!!
    Yeah they dont have one from what I can see. I could wait till I have the baby but then we will be moving to FLorida for the second portion of school. DH wont be allowed to come home for the birth even though we are only 4 hours away.
    Gearing up for deployment #2
  4. *
    Quote Originally Posted by Casadorra View Post
    Yeah they dont have one from what I can see. I could wait till I have the baby but then we will be moving to FLorida for the second portion of school. DH wont be allowed to come home for the birth even though we are only 4 hours away.
    I'd personally wait until you move to FL but that's just b/c I'd want to be home, with my doctors who have been treating me the past 9 months. That's why I waited until our son was born before I went. Pregnancies are also considered high risk with me as well... I don't know how comfortable who'd be having your baby with doctors who don't know your history, only you'd know that. It just wasn't an option for me. I hope you guys figure something out.
  5. Member
    Id go with. But there is just no way I would want DH to miss the birth of his child if he didnt have to. The way I look at it, right now you have the CHOICE to have your Dh be with you during your labor and deliver, your next child (if you have another) you might not have the choice (he may very well be deployed, especially being EOD). If the base doesn't have a hospital no biggie, you'll just be seen off base. The base we are at has no ob/gyn care, so we are seen off base. There would be no copays or anything for you, it would still be covered 100%.

Personally I'd rather get to know a new set of doctors and deal with the PIA of moving rather than having DH be apart from his child. JMO.