Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deferment of COT leave (AF)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Deferment of COT leave (AF)

Advertisements
    Ok... so right now we are in USAFE and will be PCSing to Hawaii. We have asked and been approved to leave USAFE early so that we can get the kids enrolled into school as soon as possible (so they do not miss out on the first couple days of school-Hawaii starts earlier that where we currently are stationed). We would like to defer our COT leave so that we can get to Hawaii ASAP to enroll the kids and get settled in. Does anyone know if this will be possible? My husband is trying to look into the regs, but isn't having much luck. Does anyone out there have any information?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    you can use your COT any time-- BUT you cannot take ANY leave before taking the COT-
    PCS travel, HH TDY does not count-

he can find the COT information in the JFTR.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    What we keep being told is that we HAVE to take the COT leave because when we leave here to go to Hawaii we have to travel through mainland US. We have also been told that it basically takes an act of Congress to get a COT deferment approved. I was hoping that someone out here has been in the same situation and could tell me how they were able to get it approved.
  4. Senior Member
    What is COT leave?
  5. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Consecutive Overseas Tour leave...it's a perk for doing back to back OCONUS tours.
  6. Senior Member
    DH deferred his COT leave a whole 2 weeks after he PCD'd, lol. He got permission from his oncoming command ahead of time, it may have to do with how soon it was after he left too though... I can ask him.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    One step closer to heading to the island in July. There is only one more signature needed to get us to the the island early. We still have not found anything saying that We can postpone our COT leave until next summer. You see we were suppoe to leave in September, but we want to get the kids into a house and meet friends before they start school so we put in a request to leave here early. So far it has been approved for us to get there in July, but it also means that we will not have the time to take our COT leave. Is there anyone out there that knows of any regualtions that could help us with our quest to defer?
  8. Senior Member
    You CAN defer COT travel. The only stipulation is that it is done before you finish the tour at the gaining command. Have your husband look it up in the JFTR.
    Needs work.
  9. Senior Member
    Oh ok I know now. Not sure if it what I am thinking of. When we left AK as we had been at an overseas base we were suppose to get leave to go to his home of record. We never got that leave. I don't know if it was something dh was suppose to request or if he requested not to get it.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Southern-Momma, exactly... We have gotten mixed reports. Some people say that there is nothing we can do to get the COT leave deferred because we will HAVE to travel through the US in order to get to Hawaii, but then I have talked to someone who said that as long as we do not spend any more than 10 days in the Mainland that we can still take the COT leave during our stay in Oahu. That person couldn' remember the regulation that stated that. I was hoping that someone here had done it and could point out regs. or give me advice. I have been looking through all of the regs that I can find and I am having problems understanding the jargon. I was hoping that because we were able to get a curtailment (change of PCS date) that we would automatically be approved for the curtailment... but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I want to be able to do all of the research for this without stressing out my husband since he has many other things on his plate right now.
    THank you ladies for your help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast