Military Significant Others and Spouse Support -
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Car registration and licenses

  1. Junior Member
    Tamzyn's Avatar
    Tamzyn is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Maxwell AFB

    Car registration and licenses

    Ok .. we PCS'd to Louisiana nearly 2 weeks ago. I'm so lost on what to do about licenses and registration .. we have 2 cars, both registered in Arizona. One car is just in my husbands name, the other in both our names. Do we have to register them here in Louisiana? Even though my husband is not an Arizona resident, his driving license is from AZ .. do he need to change it to a Louisiana one? Do I? I'm stlighly worried because my AZ license is only valid until the end of the year (when my greencard expires) but once I apply the next step of the immigration process, Arizona are really easy to extend the license with. However, I'm not sure if Louisiana will be as easy and trust me, I CANNOT not drive around her, especially due to the fact that even though we live on base, it is a 20 min drive to the main part of the base and even further outside of the gates!! I'm all confused!!
  2. Senior Member
    aheart11's Avatar
    aheart11 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    I'm not sure how the Air Force works, but DB just showed his registration, DL and insurance to the office on base and got his sticker for his car.
    He's a KY resident living in VA for training.

    Also, it was said that if he wasn't on the registration he was going to have to get a notarized letter stating he had permission to drive the car, on base. Might make things easier if your names were on both cars.

    Good luck with everything.
  3. Senior Member
    *Meg*'s Avatar
    *Meg* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    My Uncle kept his RI license for all 25 years he was in the coast guard. As far as I know dependents have to change their licenses. I don't know much though lol
  4. Banned
    GlitterCrotch's Avatar
    GlitterCrotch is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    If you google "LA DMV" then you get their site, which has all the info you should need (bearing in mind your husband who is a military member does not have to switch his vehicle registration to the state he is technically living in if it's already registered in another state).
  5. Member
    mle576's Avatar
    mle576 is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Barksdale AFB, louisiana
    i know there is some way to do it. My Df has kentucky everything and we are at barksdale.
  6. Account Closed
    flangl18's Avatar
    flangl18 is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    NAS Lemoore
    Blog Entries
    Check what the laws are for the state and specifically for military members and their dependents. They all vary.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts