Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLA questions etc.

1. Junior Member

DLA questions etc.

Advertisements
    Hi ladies,
    Moving to join hubby soon! YAYAYAY!

Some questions:

1. We were told by a ssg that you can not get DLA twice in one year; however, we think they are probably going to move us twice this year. I called the moving guy on post at the transportation office and he said that they do indeed pay you DLA each time regardless of the fiscal year. Is that true? It would make a difference in when we rent the apartment because of deposits and all that.

2. Anyone have experience with Army movers? We are thinking of going that route, it's easier for me here alone, but I have heard some negative things.

3. ANyone know exact amount of DLA? Is it $1887? That's what he told me but I want to double check.

Thanks!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    there is a rule in place that states DLA cannot be paid more than once per yr- with exceptions- I am not at home and cannot look in the JFTR till later to pull the regs for you-

but it may be possible- and DLA for you would be 1887.

I will post back later when I have more time to look for it.
  3. Junior Member
    Thank you! I was going with what the post moving guy said since he works in the transportation office there but I Have heard various things so I am really confused. What's JFTR?
  4. Banned
    Banned
    the JFTR is the Joint Federal Travel Regulations.

you can google it and look there for tons of PCS information.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    U5620 FISCAL YEAR LIMITATION ON PAYMENT OF DLA
    A. General. Under 37 USC 407, a member is authorized only one DLA during a fiscal year, unless the:
    1. Secretary concerned determines Service exigencies require more than one PCS during the current fiscal year.With the exceptions noted below for USCG and NOAA, the authority to make this determination may be
    delegated no lower than general/flag officer level in the Army, Navy, Air Force, O-6 in the Marine Corps, at the
    headquarters level that directs assignments for the Service concerned. Based on SECDEF memo “Waiver
    Authority for Dislocation Allowance Entitlements” of 5 June 1995, this authority for humanitarian or
    Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) assignments may be delegated to O-6 level at the headquarters
    that direct humanitarian or EFMP assignments for the Service concerned. NOTE: For the Coast Guard:
    delegation is to the Commander, Coast Guard Personnel Command (CGPC) with no further re-delegation
    authorized; for the NOAA Corps: delegation is to the Director of the NOAA Corps only.
    2. Member is on PCS to, from, or between courses conducted, controlled and managed by one or more of the
    Services;
    3. Eligible dependents are relocated to a designated place incident to an evacuation (see pars. U6012 and
    U6059);
    4. Movement of a member's household is made in conjunction with a national emergency or in time of war;
    5. Movement of a member and/or dependents is made as envisioned by par. U5630-B6, U5630-B8 or U5630-
    B10;
    6. Movement of member’s and or dependent’s household is made ICW base realignment or closure (BRAC); or
    7. Member’s dependents relocate incident to the member being assigned to Indeterminate TDY (see par.
    U4605).
    NOTE: The one DLA per fiscal year limitation does not apply to partial DLA. See par. U5630-B15.
    B. Application of Fiscal Year Limitation on DLA Payment
    1. When determining the fiscal year in which DLA authorization occurs, the member's departure (detachment)
    date from the old PDS in compliance with the PCS authorization/order governs.
    2. Prior PCS moves in the same fiscal year for which a DLA was not authorized must be excluded from the
    computation. Example: PCS moves of a member without dependents when assigned to Gov’t quarters carry no
    DLA authorization. Example: Multiple DLA payments are appropriate for PCS moves to, from, or between
    courses conducted at a Service installation, or conducted, controlled and managed by one or more of the
    Services at a civilian educational institution, or elsewhere.
    3. Except under the conditions in pars. U5620-A2, U5620-A5, and par. U5620-B2 above, all PCS moves
    (including those approved by the Secretary concerned) are counted to determine if the statutory limitation
    applies and Secretarial approval of DLA for the next PCS is required.
  6. Junior Member
    Thank you!!! Very helpful. I Think we would be eligible according to #2. His AIT school is considered on his written orders as a PCS because it's really long and then in June or Sept we are going to PCS to a permanent duty station again. Would that be correct?
  7. Banned
    Banned
    YEP that would be right!!! copy and paste this and print it to show them that YOU can get it 2 times in one yr!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I had no problems with the movers when we PCSed here. They were on time, very polite and our stuff arrived faster than I expected.
  9. Junior Member
    Okay, one more question: He's been there a few months because they told him at basic that he was not authorized to have me along; after arriving, he was but he had to be a phase 5 and he is now. Are we still eligible to get it since it took a few months until I joined him? I read something about that and was confused.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    yes, as long as you are authorised a PCS move they will pay DLA and all other PCS entitlements.
    it is called 'defered dependant travel"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast