Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: japan?

1. Do fairytales ever come true?
    Do fairytales ever come true?
    Virginia Beach Va (hubby is on USS Bataan)
    Blog Entries

japan?

Advertisements
    ok so explination to come later maybe. for now, my question is, if someone were to take orders to japan...what is it like there? what would the work schedule be like? how are the schools? what if your a single parent? how is the childcare and other resources? anything else i should know?

[/url]
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I can't answer any of those questions but I wanted to say, I'm going to Kadena this summer!!
  3. Senior Member
    My DH is in Sasebo. He loves it there... if there are any specific questions you can PMme. I'll make sure they get answered!
  4. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    my SO is in Sasebo as well....
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Depends on where in Japan you go.

6. Lovin My Sgt
    Lovin My Sgt
    Me: (currently) Newport Beach,CA Him:Sasebo,Japan (Soon To be MINE too!)
    We too just got orders to Sasebo...
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBoyOneGirl View Post
    ok so explination to come later maybe. for now, my question is, if someone were to take orders to japan...what is it like there? what would the work schedule be like? how are the schools? what if your a single parent? how is the childcare and other resources? anything else i should know?
    There is a TON of difference between Sasebo, Atsugi, Yokosuka, Okinawa..... it really depends on where you go and the type of command you go to.

We were at Yokosuka. Schools were great, but DoD schools tend to be very good because the schools have the luxury of having full and complete contact with parents, and kids who are major disciplinary problems get sent back to the States.

A single parent will have a priority for placement in the base child care centers, which I thought were very, very good. If they don't have an opening, there are usually home parents (moms and grandparents) who do in-home care from their base housing unit. There are also LOTS of activities for school-age kids through the base recreation centers, including summer camp.

Try not to take more stuff than you really think you'll need. Storage space, even in housing, is limited. Also, you probably won't be able to take your own vehicle, so you'll need to decide if you want to sell it or store it. if you store it, you need to do certain things, but you can usually get a really good insurance rate.

You'll be able to buy a good-enough used vehicle there, same with furniture.
  8. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by Bex; 04-01-2009 at 06:26 PM.
  9. Senior Member
    A couple things I can comment on. If you were to go to Misawa that is an awesome base as well. It is an air base so it has all branches there all mingled in with another.

I never went to day care nor do I know anyone now who put their kids in daycare so I can't comment on that.

The school of course was DOD school. I remember it fondly and love the Japanese learning I was required to do while there.

Misawa is a small enough base that you can walk downtown from your home. I remember when we were there it was actually more common to walk or take the base shuttle to the gate and walk around off base.

I would think but not sure now, that say you are a single parent that you can hire a Japanese lady to come in and basically be your housekeeper. I remember my mom having one and it was nice. She came in a few times a week and did the cleaning. Fairly cheap but this was in the 80s.

I don't know anything about the other bases, but over all I recommend Japan. It is a great country, the people are *typically* overwhelmingly friendly to americans and all around nice people. The country is beautiful, it is easy to get to the other islands regardless of which one you are one, and it doesn't really take along time to travel the country.

Eelo mentioned furniture and cars. I know when we got there my dad picked up a vehicle within days and when we left he had no problems selling. With people coming and going from that island and not bringing their cars or taking the japanese ones easy turnover. And I don't know if they do this either anymore, but I remember my parents able to get furniture loaned. Kinda like the loan locker, but long term loan.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    do they let single parents take their children over there? seems to me that would be something the navy would put their foot down on.