Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Joining him while he's stationed overseas

1. Member

Joining him while he's stationed overseas

Advertisements
    So we got married March 7th. I have my ID and all the medical paperwork is done. Now he is heading back to Germany to finish up the papers to get me command sponsored. Does anyone have any idea how long this may take? I don't know how long it will be before the movers get here and I get my ticket over there.
    I want to plan so I can notify my apartment complex and my employer. I also need to give my parents a heads up so they can fly out to get my car since I'm not taking it.

Advice or info??
    "To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  3. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Usually if you are joining him midtour you are responsible to pay for the cost of your move. Unless your DH is doing a COT or IPCOT to bring you over, OR he gets special approval (which doesn't happen often).

If you have everything turned in, it can take from 2-8 weeks or so for them to issue your orders. During that time, I advise you or your DH to contact them every couple of days to find out the status of your paperwork. It's the best way to ensure it will be completed swiftly and correctly.

If you have more specific questions I'm happy to answer them. Send me a PM or pop over to the OCONUS SOS group. http://militarysos.com/forum/group.php?groupid=185
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    As far as notifying your landlord, once you have command sponsorship, new orders will be issued with your name on them.

Take a copy of those orders to your leasing office and that will allow you to terminate your lease.
  5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    Usually if you are joining him midtour you are responsible to pay for the cost of your move. Unless your DH is doing a COT or IPCOT to bring you over, OR he gets special approval (which doesn't happen often). http://militarysos.com/forum/group.php?groupid=185
    What is COT or IPCOT? According to what I've been told they will sponsor me and pay for the move, as long has he still has over a year left in the service.
  6. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by gianeen1 View Post
    What is COT or IPCOT? According to what I've been told they will sponsor me and pay for the move, as long has he still has over a year left in the service.
    Wow, I want your unit. I've never heard of that before.

Who gave you this information and which regulation are they processing your orders under? (personal curiosity, I try and keep track of this kind of info to help other people trying to sort these things out)

A COT is a Continuious Overseas Tour, basically a second tour served overseas. An IPCOT is an In Place Continuous Overseas Tour, a second overseas tour served at the same duty station with the same unit.

Usually the time requirement is 24 months for a paid move for the family, with the soldier/airman being oconus for 36 months total. 12 months is usually only if you pay for your own move and covers the housing costs.

Are you Army or Air Force? That does make a small difference.

Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  7. Member
    DH told me because he asked the people who do that sort of thing. Well DH has been in Germany (Army by the way) for 5yrs, minus 2 tours to Iraq. I did go over to your other forum and was reading some of the posts there. I had no problems at all getting my EFMP paperwork done. It only took us 3 days.
    So how do you know all this stuff anyway? LOL If it wasn't for DH I wouldn't be able to keep any of this military stuff straight. It's a lot of information to retain.
  8. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by gianeen1 View Post
    DH told me because he asked the people who do that sort of thing. Well DH has been in Germany (Army by the way) for 5yrs, minus 2 tours to Iraq. I did go over to your other forum and was reading some of the posts there. I had no problems at all getting my EFMP paperwork done. It only took us 3 days.
    So how do you know all this stuff anyway? LOL If it wasn't for DH I wouldn't be able to keep any of this military stuff straight. It's a lot of information to retain.
    I have absolutely no idea. I have a good memory, I guess. I remember stuff for YEARS, just ask my DH.

The EFMP stuff is hit or miss. It all depends on where you are. I'm on my 6th time of submitting it. I've been working on it since August. Some offices are busier than others and some are unfamilar with the overseas process. Mine happens to be super busy AND can't get their act together.

I've certainly heard of more problems than simplicity in getting this paperwork done. Normal processing time for command sponsorship is about 6 months for mid tour additions. If it's less than that, I applaud your unit.

I hope that the Army pays for your move. I can tell you that most spouses here that joined their DH's mid tour had to pay for their move. Technically, according to one of these three regulations: AR 614-30, AR 55-46, or AEP 37-10 or some combination there of, the Army is not obligated to pay to move you until your DH's next PCS. Now, a COT, an IPCOT and a return to the states does count as a PCS.

I'm a total realist and I would hate to see you expect these things and them have someone come in and tell you that someone was wrong and now you're stuck doing everything yourself. I'm like a boy scout, always prepared for the worst.

The whole point of our OCONUS group, is to provide information for people attempting to navigate these things alone, with support staff that are unhelpful or improperly trained.