Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: OCS and housing

1. Loving my soldier since '96
    Loving my soldier since '96

Question OCS and housing

Advertisements
    Please help!!!!

I have heard a few different rumors and wondering if anyone can help me.

Since dh will be leaving for OCS soon, Is it true that we have to move out of housing here because he is not doing a TDY return? Or can we remain in housing until he gets his orders to his next duty?

Thanks in advance!!
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
  2. Senior Member
    When DH went to OCS we remained in housing until he came home.
  3. Loving my soldier since '96
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    When DH went to OCS we remained in housing until he came home.

Thank you for answering!
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
  4. Senior Member
    Your welcome.

Technically he is going TDY and will be returning to his duty station to do a PCS move once he gets orders out of OCS. We came back from graduation on Friday and the movers came on Monday, checked out of housing on Wednesday. It was crazy for us but we were moving the week of Thanksgiving because our kids were out of school and starting school someplace else the following week.

I also want to say this is Coast Guard, so I don't know for sure if the Army is the same way or not.
  5. Loving my soldier since '96
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Your welcome.

Technically he is going TDY and will be returning to his duty station to do a PCS move once he gets orders out of OCS. We came back from graduation on Friday and the movers came on Monday, checked out of housing on Wednesday. It was crazy for us but we were moving the week of Thanksgiving because our kids were out of school and starting school someplace else the following week.

I also want to say this is Coast Guard, so I don't know for sure if the Army is the same way or not.
    Wow, You didnt have time to breath.

Thats good to know. He has to go to at the end of summer OCS and then branch training which is an extra 19.4 weeks. Since we just found out today that he made it, I wanted to be prepared. I heard it was the same for Army but someone told me it wasnt true. I guess dh will verify when he goes to retention next week.

Thanks again.
  6. suckin it up & drivin on
    suckin it up & drivin on
    My dh went to OCS last Oct. If your dh is tdy and return then you can stay. If not and he's clearing post then you will have to leave too. It just depends on his orders. What branch did he get? My dh's original orders had him returning to clear and we could have stayed, but he had them changed so the Army would move the kids and I back home until he was done w/OCS, BOLCII, and BOLCIII
    Proud Army Wife of 2LT Parker
    Proud Mom of 3-Chris, Abbey, and Jordan
  7. Loving my soldier since '96
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleLP View Post
    My dh went to OCS last Oct. If your dh is tdy and return then you can stay. If not and he's clearing post then you will have to leave too. It just depends on his orders. What branch did he get? My dh's original orders had him returning to clear and we could have stayed, but he had them changed so the Army would move the kids and I back home until he was done w/OCS, BOLCII, and BOLCIII
    He was branced Field Artillery. He is meeting with retention next week but I want to make sure that I am set since my son will be going to the first grade around the time dh is due to leave. I actually wouldnt mind either way. I just want to plan.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Oh! Darn I wish I could help, but DH was only in OCS for a little less than 2 weeks, and we didn't live in housing. He did still receive the BAH of his duty station until we arrived in Cali though.

Good luck to you!
  9. Loving my soldier since '96
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
    Oh! Darn I wish I could help, but DH was only in OCS for a little less than 2 weeks, and we didn't live in housing. He did still receive the BAH of his duty station until we arrived in Cali though.

Good luck to you!

Thank you!

My need for planning ahead is getting the best of me.
  10. suckin it up & drivin on
    suckin it up & drivin on
    My dh is Field Artillery also. If you are wanting to stay where you are until he gets back, then have him call his branch manager. She is the one who will cut his orders. My dh was in contact w/her and she let him change his. Her name is Ms. Patrick (first name Mary I believe). PM me if you need anything else. I'd be glad to give you any info that I can.
    Proud Army Wife of 2LT Parker
    Proud Mom of 3-Chris, Abbey, and Jordan