Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: extended stays?

1. Junior Member

extended stays?

Advertisements
    Anyone ever lived in one of those extended stay hotels for a few months while looking for an apartment or waiting for orders? We're looking at doing it while he finishes up AIT school (about 3-6 months, they don't know yet how long. They may add courses/extension). We *may* remain on this post for our PCS as it is a big post for his MOS, but we *may* get orders to go to Germany or somewhere else in the US. It is by far the cheapest option, as there are no utilities to deal with, but he's worried about me staying there until I get a job (hard in this economy, could be awhile) because it's not very homey and he's worried I might not be happy. Well, maybe it's not ideal, but it's better than being 600-700 miles apart and having the first three months of marriage and maybe having seen each other for 10 days of that on visits/honeymoon and not being there for each other.

What do y'all think? Is it a good idea to do it till we get orders? Anyone else done it?

Besides Extended Stay Hotels America and Savannah Suites, what other hotels do it for a decent price?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    We have stayed at Suburban Lodge. DH stayed at the one in Hampton while he was in VA for 4 months.
  3. Senior Member
    We were considering this for while he is in tech. When I looked into it, we found that an actual motel 6 or similar place was cheaper by the month than an extended stay hotel. I have no clue why. I would definitely check out the other options in the area.

I personally would look into it, and if it was doable for me I would probably do it.
  4. Junior Member
    What about putting two people in there? I think they're a little more because they have kitchens and things. Could we do that without too much pain on either part?
  5. Junior Member
    He's the kind of guy that needs down time?
  6. Banned
    Banned
    IF it is just the 2 of you I would say go for it-
    with a kitchenette at least you can cook a little.
    they are not so bad, especially if they have a pool and gym.

also ask for a military discount- even 10% off will help!!!
  7. Senior Member
    I used to work at a Residence Inn by Marriott. It was NICE. It was also pricy. People would stay there for various reasons, usually a business trip for a couple months at a time. I also became friends with a woman who came to be with her fiancee was transferred to Kessler institute (hundreds of miles from their home). I would say go for it, but be prepared to pay.
  8. Junior Member
    Well, we found a place for a little under $600. It's not very big, but it would work. Not very fancy and no amenities, but I think that's what we may do. Very tiny, too. But I think it's better for our marriage this way, to be together, as newlyweds. He's having kind of a tough time in AIT and I want to be able to be there.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    Well, we found a place for a little under $600. It's not very big, but it would work. Not very fancy and no amenities, but I think that's what we may do. Very tiny, too. But I think it's better for our marriage this way, to be together, as newlyweds. He's having kind of a tough time in AIT and I want to be able to be there.
    where is this? I was thinking about doing this too, but they are all so pricey
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    That sounds like a good plan to me