Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is probably a dumb question

1. Beltway Bandit
    Beltway Bandit
    Blog Entries

This is probably a dumb question

Advertisements
    We've always lived off-post but since we are leaning towards DH staying in the Army indefinetely, we've realized that there may come a time when we'll be living on post. My question is, are you allowed to let your cats out if you live on post? Does it vary by post or is there a general policy?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Every house that we have lived in that allows pets, people let their cats out. I HATE it. It's always such a lovely thing when I go out back to smoke and sit in the patio chair and it's been sprayed.
  3. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    Good question. I have lived here 2 years and have not seen one cat...just dogs. I'm sure somebody here on base has a cat, but I've never seen one.
  4. Do fairytales ever come true?
    Do fairytales ever come true?
    Virginia Beach Va (hubby is on USS Bataan)
    Blog Entries
    not sure i think it would vary by post

[/url]
  5. Banned
    Banned
    in most housing areas cats are suppose to remain indoors at all times or be on a leash when out side-

I have seen lots of cats running free in housing- BUT I have also seen many dead on the side of the road and picked up as strays - and without ID are taken to the shelter - and with ID are taken to the shelter- the base commander notified and the AD member in front of the captian or commander for not following the rules in housing.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    We've always lived off-post but since we are leaning towards DH staying in the Army indefinetely, we've realized that there may come a time when we'll be living on post. My question is, are you allowed to let your cats out if you live on post? Does it vary by post or is there a general policy?
    Generally policy is that your cats like your dogs are to be contained. Either in your house, in a fence or on a leash.

Unfortunately and at cost to other peoples property many people do not follow these rules and allow their cats to wander.

Please don't be one of those housing residents.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyykooolaid View Post
    Good question. I have lived here 2 years and have not seen one cat...just dogs. I'm sure somebody here on base has a cat, but I've never seen one.
    Seriously? You are so lucky. I have had to throw lots of stuff away because a cat has sprayed it. I have had two cats living on my porch (where we have outdoor stuff stored) and my car was damaged due to one cat.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    in most housing areas cats are suppose to remain indoors at all times or be on a leash when out side-

I have seen lots of cats running free in housing- BUT I have also seen many dead on the side of the road and picked up as strays - and without ID are taken to the shelter - and with ID are taken to the shelter- the base commander notified and the AD member in front of the captian or commander for not following the rules in housing.
    This base does nothing about the cat problem. We have a animal control person who drives around and only looks for the dogs running loose. Totally ignores the cats.
  9. Beltway Bandit
    Beltway Bandit
    Blog Entries
    We have an indoor cat for the first time in our lives, due to the fact that he has FIV. It is heartbreaking to watch him cry at the window to go outside. We have decided that in the future we want cats we can let outside, which means that if the post policy is no cats outside we would not opt to live on post.

I'm kind of surprised at all the cat hate. I love to see my neighbor's cats and I've never had a problem with them spraying - if they're neutured, which they should be, they shouldn't be spraying.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    We have an indoor cat for the first time in our lives, due to the fact that he has FIV. It is heartbreaking to watch him cry at the window to go outside. We have decided that in the future we want cats we can let outside, which means that if the post policy is no cats outside we would not opt to live on post.

I'm kind of surprised at all the cat hate. I love to see my neighbor's cats and I've never had a problem with them spraying - if they're neutured, which they should be, they shouldn't be spraying.
    My MIL has had lots of cats that were fixed but still sprayed. It's not 100%. I dont hate cats either. I have 2 of my own. I just dont like the fact that people let them out and they destroy my property.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast