Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Move back home... he's almost done! (Qs??)

1. Senior Member
    Boston, MA (DH-Currently deployed on the USS John C. Stennis via NAS Lemoore)

Dance Move back home... he's almost done! (Qs??)

Advertisements
    Hi!! I wanted to reach out for some advice or stories that anyone may have to share regarding the situation DH and I are in right now.

Here's the deal: We are currently stationed in CA. He is deployed until this summer and his end of service date is July2009. I just got a job offer for the Boston area, which is our home of record. As long as all the HR things go well, I will need to start my job sometime near the beginning of April. I have a couple questions: 1) Do you think they will move our things back to DHs HOR this month, even though he's not out yet? (I mean, they would be doing it in a couple months anyways) 2) Would we still get BAH even if I am living back there (if they move us)? 3) BAH would be for the current area we are in, not the HOR zip code, correct? 4) I would have to ship our personal car myself, on our dime, correct? 5) Do they pay anything towards flights of the service member or spouse back to the HOR if the military is moving us?

I have not talked to personal property but I figure that's what I need to do next...

I know that's a few questions but any help, advice, or stories would be great!

Thanks so much!!
    ~~He's finally home!~~

2. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Salty View Post
    Hi!! I wanted to reach out for some advice or stories that anyone may have to share regarding the situation DH and I are in right now.

Here's the deal: We are currently stationed in CA. He is deployed until this summer and his end of service date is July2009. I just got a job offer for the Boston area, which is our home of record. As long as all the HR things go well, I will need to start my job sometime near the beginning of April. I have a couple questions: 1) Do you think they will move our things back to DHs HOR this month, even though he's not out yet? (I mean, they would be doing it in a couple months anyways) 2) Would we still get BAH even if I am living back there (if they move us)? 3) BAH would be for the current area we are in, not the HOR zip code, correct? 4) I would have to ship our personal car myself, on our dime, correct? 5) Do they pay anything towards flights of the service member or spouse back to the HOR if the military is moving us?

I have not talked to personal property but I figure that's what I need to do next...

I know that's a few questions but any help, advice, or stories would be great!

Thanks so much!!
    it is possible to get them to pay now for you to go home- BUT he needs a letter from the detailer saying that he will be getting out and when-
    BUT if you move on the GOV dime- and he does not get out- YOU will be on the HOOK for every penny paid to move you.

for BAH it will be for the duty station unless he had PCS orders for you when he first deployed, and then it would be for where you are.

there is a way to get a partial reimbursement for a second vehicle when PCSing, but not for the only vehicle.

you can get a flight paid for- but it will be for the amount of the per diem and MALT- from where you are to where you are going.
    BUT if you can drive a car- they will insist you do that and you will have to fight for them to pay for the flight ( this is considered unusual and noncustomary mode of transportation)

if you are moving the only car with you they will pay to fly the service member to the HOR.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    it is possible to get them to pay now for you to go home- BUT he needs a letter from the detailer saying that he will be getting out and when-
    BUT if you move on the GOV dime- and he does not get out- YOU will be on the HOOK for every penny paid to move you.

for BAH it will be for the duty station unless he had PCS orders for you when he first deployed, and then it would be for where you are.

there is a way to get a partial reimbursement for a second vehicle when PCSing, but not for the only vehicle.

you can get a flight paid for- but it will be for the amount of the per diem and MALT- from where you are to where you are going.
    BUT if you can drive a car- they will insist you do that and you will have to fight for them to pay for the flight ( this is considered unusual and noncustomary mode of transportation)

if you are moving the only car with you they will pay to fly the service member to the HOR.
    Great thank you. I will only be shipping one vehicle because our second is a company car which I will return while in CA. Would they really expect me to drive from CA to Boston (like 3000 miles) by myself? That would be a bit crazy. I definitely understand if it was closer. I guess I could drive, that would be an adventure.

I will have to research per diem and I dont know what MALT is but will be sure to ask personal property when I visit them. It is good to know they may pay for DHs flight home when he returns from deployment.

He is 100% getting our in July 2009, no ifs ands or buts about it!
    ~~He's finally home!~~

4. Banned
    Banned
    per diem is 109 per day if you go unaccompanied=

and yes they will want you to dirve- I did it with 14 yr old and 2 cats from Miami to Ak.

they do not care if you don't want to- that is just how it is written in the regs.

Oh and malt is for mileage and is 24 cents a mile.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    per diem is 109 per day if you go unaccompanied=

and yes they will want you to dirve- I did it with 14 yr old and 2 cats from Miami to Ak.

they do not care if you don't want to- that is just how it is written in the regs.

Oh and malt is for mileage and is 24 cents a mile.
    Wow! Okay, good to know they will expect me to drive. I have my 2 cats as well. I was a bit concerned about driving all by myself from one side of the country to the other and having to have 2 cats to deal with at a hotel. Understandable though, I guess. Thanks for the info.
    ~~He's finally home!~~

6. The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    could you have someone fly out to you-and have them drive back with you??

when i move to hawaii this summer, im driving from ohio to san diego-to ship my car. im having either my sister or one of my good friends drive with me, and depending on who it is-sister will fly home, friend would fly to hawaii with me and spend a week with me.
    ~Ashley

7. Senior Member
    Going to Personal property on base tomorrow.... hopefully get more answers!!
    ~~He's finally home!~~