Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving in together after marriage...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Moving in together after marriage...

Advertisements
    DF and I are discussing not moving in together right after marriage and waiting for our name to come up on the base housing list. I live in Missouri and he'll be back in North Carolina at that point. How many of you ladies have done something like this?? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by DF View Post
    You'll be ugly when you're old too...but you'll still be beautiful to me.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    No one??

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You can't move into an apartment and get BAH?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I guess I don't know how BAH works.

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Well, I'm not sure either, but, you should really look into it and talk to him about it! What's holding him back from moving in after you get married?
  6. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Well, you are entitled to bah from the moment you are married. However, it's pretty common to have to come up with the first 2 to 3 months rent out of pocket before the army reimburses you and you start receiving half your monthly bah on each pay check. Hopefully that helps about bah.

Waiting to come up on housing can be less expensive, however the wait times can be quite long.
  7. The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    that's what im intending to do. DF is in Hawaii, im in Ohio. we're getting married this summer, and im staying in Ohio until our name comes up on the housing list, then we'll move in together....
    ~Ashley

8. Senior Member
    Personally I would just move to where they are stationed and get an apartment downtown or whatnot and wait for a house on base as opposed to living separately.

Once he is married he is entitled to BAH for his rank with dependents. If there are no children involved normally one can find a pretty decent apartment on that BAH.

We did not have an issue with housing or bah when we married but I know there can be a wait for both. I know for housing you can get a house the day you put your name on the list, or you could have a 2 year wait. And I have heard people waiting still 3 months later for BAH to show up. Plus side to that is that when it does show up you get all the back BAH pay. If you have paid everything out of pocket that is cash in your hand for whatever.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Personally I would just move to where they are stationed and get an apartment downtown or whatnot and wait for a house on base as opposed to living separately.

Once he is married he is entitled to BAH for his rank with dependents. If there are no children involved normally one can find a pretty decent apartment on that BAH.

We did not have an issue with housing or bah when we married but I know there can be a wait for both. I know for housing you can get a house the day you put your name on the list, or you could have a 2 year wait. And I have heard people waiting still 3 months later for BAH to show up. Plus side to that is that when it does show up you get all the back BAH pay. If you have paid everything out of pocket that is cash in your hand for whatever.

i would personally move into an apartment off base and use BAH, and then when housing opened up for us i would move on base.
  10. Senior Member
    When me and DB (soon DF) get married I will stay in the states for about 7 months and then move over with him as soon as on base housing becomes availible. It will just be more convenient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast