Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about moving after tech school

1. Regular Member

Question about moving after tech school

Advertisements
    Dh is currently at BMT, but after tech school I was wondering how long are you given to actually get your stuff together and move to the base? All I've heard is you get 10 days of "vacation" after tech school but is that the only time given for the dh to get his stuff together and find a place to live?
  2. Senior Member
    I don't know what the time frame is but on his orders there should be a report no later than date on them.
  3. Junior Member
    Hey! My dh has like a week and a half left of tech school then he graduates and he will come home. He gets two weeks home because he is doing the recrutor assisting program, otherwise he would only get 10 days! And I'm not positive but if they dont do the recritor assisting I think the 10 days go against their leave! But anyways, we will have those 2 weeks to get stuff ready then the whoever the military contracts for our move is coming to pack everything up for us and do our move to oklahoma! When we get there I think we have 7 or 8 days to find somewhere to live! Hope that helps
  4. Banned
    Banned
    he will have accrued leave time of 2.5 days per month of AD service-

he will get XX number of days based on the miles x 350- so if he there are 1500 miles from HOR to the first duty station he will get 5 days to get from A to B.

the "10 days" is called permissive TDY or househunting leave and is non chargable leave and is granted by the gaining command in your case- BUT it is not guarenteed- he will need to get there and then request the time off.
    HTH's
  5. Senior Member
    with what everyone else said

however, time off after tech is never guaranteed. a friend of mine's husband took christmas exodus, so he isnt allowed to come home after tech. she needs to pack up her and her two kids and make the cross country trek herself.

if he does recruiters assistance ( he can sign up for this in tech ) he can get some extra days home.

the general rule of thumb is 10 days, but we are getting 7 ( i think?) and that has to include our 3 days of driving we have.

his orders will have a report no later than date on them.

they have temporary lodging on base that you can stay at for a little while once you arrive and are looking for a new house.
  6. Senior Member
    The 10 days house hunting thing. It is suggested that one plans to do this before they report to their new duty station since there is no promise one will get it. But straight out of tech school I don't believe that is possible.
  7. Regular Member
    Wow thank you. Yeah I had heard 10 days from his recruiter but then read otherwise and wanted to hear from real people what goes on.