Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRL experience and advice

1. Joy
    Banned
    Banned

Question IRL experience and advice

Advertisements
    on TLE Temporary Lodging Expenses. How you used it, how it worked for you and how much you were re-imbursed of what you spent. We're navy and before we spend the money I want to make sure we will get re-imbursed what we spend on hotels and food. TIA
  2. Senior Member
    I believe you are allotted 10 days in temp lodging once to a new duty station. Food will be on you.

Looking for links now....

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/trave...titlements.htm
    TEMPORARY LODGING EXPENSE (TLE). TLE is designed to partially offset lodging and meal expenses when a member and/or dependents need to occupy temporary lodging in CONUS (Continental United States) in connection with a PCS. The member receives reimbursement (for member and family members) for temporary lodging and meal expenses, up to $180 per day.

If the member is moving from from one CONUS base to another, he/she is authorized up to 10 days TLE, either at the losing duty station or at the new duty station (or any combination, up to 10 days total).

If the member is moving from CONUS to overseas, they can only receive up to five days TLE at the losing duty station. If the member is moving from Overseas to CONUS, they can receive up to 10 days TLE at the new CONUS duty station after arrival.

TLE is not paid for lodging made during the actual travel days from one duty station to another (that's an entirely different animal, called "per diem," rather it's for temporary lodging (in the states) at the old duty station, before departure, or at the new duty station, after arrival.

The legal authority for TLE is 37 USC 404a. For more information about TLE, see the TLE FAQ Page, on the Military Per Diem, Transportation and Allowance Committee Web Site.
  3. Senior Member
    gunsgirl may chime in with more specific info, but to add to the post above, you can use up to the 10 days at either the departing or gaining station or a combination of the two. Also, the money is for lodging AND food, not just lodging. It is a reimbursement, not an allowance, so you must save all receipts in order to be reimbursed after the fact.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    hey I am here!! I have been working all day! LOL BUT back to the question:

TLE is paid for a max of 10 days at the old and or new duty station for a max of 10 days=
    the daily MAX rate is 290 per day- BUT is based on a locality rate of the base -
    you are reimbursed dollar for dollar ( MAX locality rate ) and then there is a special formula they use to pay for the "meals and incedentals rate".

this is paid as a reimbursement for the hotel since you have to show actual reciepts for the hotel but not for the meals.
  5. Yes, I am a male
    Yes, I am a male
    Blog Entries

Just to emphasize, KEEP ALL RECEIPTS, and make sure you turn in copies, not the actual receipts.
  6. we survived infertility
    we survived infertility
    Dh has been reimbursed things such as taxi ride fees, tips (like to the porter at the airport who handles your bags so you don't have to drag them around), all meals, etc. You HAVE to save the receipt for everything and then he files a travel voucher. This is what I've been told, anyway, I've never actually seen the receipts or voucher...lol
    Last edited by Gigibear; 02-25-2009 at 12:54 PM.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I was curious about the same this; the reason I registered.
    I do have an additional question on the same topic.
    Are you paid TLE even if you were on leave at the gaining duty station?
    For instance, I don't want to sign in to the unit just yet. I want to look at houses for a few days and make a bid. After bidding I want to visit family then come back and sign in.

thanks
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    I was curious about the same this; the reason I registered.
    I do have an additional question on the same topic.
    Are you paid TLE even if you were on leave at the gaining duty station?
    For instance, I don't want to sign in to the unit just yet. I want to look at houses for a few days and make a bid. After bidding I want to visit family then come back and sign in.

thanks

yes, sorta, the rules for TLE state that it has to be in the vacinity of the old or new duty station- but you cannot use 5 days TLE, go on leave and then go back and use 5 more days -

but you can be on leave and use your TLE-

you can also take 10 days permissive TDY - this may be the best route for you for what you want to do- permissive TDY is nicknamed house hunting leave and is non chargable leave- you do not get any reimbursements but it will free up your TLE for after you get back from leave- and then you will have your TLE for 10 days ( if you do not use any at the losing base) to get into your new house.

you can refer to the JFTR for all the TLE/ permissive TDY directives.
  9. ------------------
    ------------------
    Do be careful. If your duty station/s have a Navy lodge, you are required to check with them for availability. If they have nothing available, you are supposed to get a signed nonavailability note from them. I'll see if I can find documentation of what I am talking about
  10. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by JRalston View Post
    Do be careful. If your duty station/s have a Navy lodge, you are required to check with them for availability. If they have nothing available, you are supposed to get a signed nonavailability note from them. I'll see if I can find documentation of what I am talking about

Found it: TLE ALLOWANCE WITHIN CONUS FAQs

Q7. Am I required to use GOVíT quarters?

ANSWER: Yes, you must use available GOVíT quarters including temporary lodging facilities in the area of the old and/or new PDS. If there are GOVíT quarters, you must provide a signed statement indicating that GOVíT quarters were not available, to support your TLE claim.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast