Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New to this PCSing

1. Regular Member

New to this PCSing

Advertisements
    Okay my DH got orders to San Diego. I want to get on base housing waiting list as soon as possible since I have 4 lil ones and two will be going to school. Now he has his web orders. So cant I get on the waiting list or do I have to wait til he depart this base first? I know San Diego has a long waiting list. We went to base housing office and told us we will be on Wire Mountain I but need to wait. I thought with his web order I can be on the waiting list. Also if I cant be on the waiting list what other area are nice to look at and stay away from. I heard of Temecula but not sure
  2. Senior Member
    In our experiences, you can call and get put on the list 30 days before your no latter than date of arrival. But just because you go on than doesn't mean you will get housing right away. It could be days or it could be months. I think that you should prepare yourself, your family and your finances for the possibility of living off base for a couple months just in case.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I'm also wondering in a situation like this-if you have orders and evidence you are waiting on base housing, can you go ahead and enroll the kids in the school that the base goes to? I would hate to move, transfer kids to a new school, just to transfer them again when we get a house on base!

I don't know how it works everywhere, but here, where you live determines which school you go to, and you can't switch even within the same district.
  4. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackidlc View Post
    Okay my DH got orders to San Diego. I want to get on base housing waiting list as soon as possible since I have 4 lil ones and two will be going to school. Now he has his web orders. So cant I get on the waiting list or do I have to wait til he depart this base first? I know San Diego has a long waiting list. We went to base housing office and told us we will be on Wire Mountain I but need to wait. I thought with his web order I can be on the waiting list. Also if I cant be on the waiting list what other area are nice to look at and stay away from. I heard of Temecula but not sure

Temecula is very far away. What base is he going to be stationed at?

Check out greatschools.net when you are trying to find housing.

Also, the School Liason will be able to answer any questions you have regarding enrollment

Linda
    858-431-6482

Also, in San Diego, for housing, you can submit the paperwork to be put on the housing list, but you are not put on the list until your husband detaches from his current command. You have to go in when you arrive in San Diego, and they will put you on the wait list by that date. Be prepared to live in ahotel for a month.
  5. Regular Member
    We will be station in camp Pendelton towards the 15 fwy. In Fallbrook, so temecula is about 30 mins away. I figure we will be living off base once we get there. I just wanted to be put on the waiting list before we live this base. Thank you all for your help. Ill look more into it.
  6. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackidlc View Post
    We will be station in camp Pendelton towards the 15 fwy. In Fallbrook, so temecula is about 30 mins away. I figure we will be living off base once we get there. I just wanted to be put on the waiting list before we live this base. Thank you all for your help. Ill look more into it.

Oh ok, Camp Pendleton is about an hour north of San Diego, which makes sense for you to live in Temecula!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarsie1 View Post
    I'm also wondering in a situation like this-if you have orders and evidence you are waiting on base housing, can you go ahead and enroll the kids in the school that the base goes to? I would hate to move, transfer kids to a new school, just to transfer them again when we get a house on base!

I don't know how it works everywhere, but here, where you live determines which school you go to, and you can't switch even within the same district.
    It is worth a shot, but it may not happen. I know a friend who lives about 5 minutes from base her hubby just got out but still works on base and the school would not allow her child to stay in the school for the rest of the year.