Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navy duty stations?

1. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed

Navy duty stations?

Advertisements
    My husband is up for orders soon- probably the end of this month he'll be looking at new duty stations- is basically going to call me from the ship, tell me our options, and we'll make a decision together.

I need information on duty stations...I know Washington is a possibility (Everett, I believe), as is Virginia and Florida (Mayport?). That's about all I know! I'd kind of like to start researching the possibilities so that I have an idea of what I want before we have to make a decision.

Of the naval bases, which would you pick and why? (Not just of the above.)
    Which should we stay away from?

Are there any good universities (for graduate programs) located close to a navy base? Any information on school districts or recreational activities?

We're still hoping that come March orders for recruiting duty in Austin will open up, but it looks like the chances are slim to none- which kind of throws a kink in things.
  2. Senior Member
    What kinda graduate program are you looking into?
  3. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    I'm partial to WA.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    What is is job? A lot will depend on what is important to you both. Location, schools, economy, close to family, what is best for his career, etc.
    Most boards will want to see career progression from duty station to duty station - flexibility in jobs, progression in duties and the challenges. We have always been able to balance what was best for my husband's career with what we wanted as far as location - for the most part. Without knowing his rate or his paygrade or if he is up for sea or shore duty, I would say looking at special sea or shore programs should be an option - i.e. recruiting, RDC, instructor duty, etc.
  5. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Of those choices, We'd choose Washington or Florida. I actually wanted Florida for shore duty, but had to be fair to G and live near his family since we'd lived near mine during his last tour. San Diego isn't hell, but it isn't my favorite place, and G prefers it over VA, which would be the last place he'd ever choose to go.

Good luck choosing. We've been to Groton, CT, Ingleside, TX and here in San Diego.. Groton wasn't bad, because there was a lot to see in New England. I loved Ingleside because it was my home area, but most don't like it there... and as I said before I can't say I like San Diego very much. (The area is beautiful, but the cost of living blows, and the traffic is nightmarish.)

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

6. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    For school- counseling or social work.

I'm thinking WA but my husband is iffy- he says he doesn't like the weather (but he's only been there once, for like a week). He's giving me a lot of say in the decision because my graduate degree and career, Autumn's education, etc, will all be dependent on where we stay- it doesn't really affect him as much, you know?

I like that Virginia has all four seasons- but I don't think they like the military very much over there...

Oh, and my husband is a GSE (gas systems electrician). He said his options are basically San Diego, Everett, Norfolk, Mayport, Hawaii, or Japan. I don't want to live outside of the continental US.
  7. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    The weather isn't so bad here. It gets a bad rap. There are tons of great schools here though which would be great for you.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    The weather is not as bad as everyone says. Like right now it is clear and sunny, its cold... but its beautiful.

Just wanted to throw that out there.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I can't say that I'm a fan of VA but there are some good schools here.
  10. Senior Member
    Where in Japan? Sasebo? DH is in Sasebo right now and LOVES it. There is no crime and there is a brand new command that I guess is just amazing...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast