Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What do we do?

1. Finally Mrs. Nyman
    Finally Mrs. Nyman
    Me: WIU in Macomb, IL / Him: Jacksonville, FL
    Blog Entries

Question What do we do?

Advertisements
    DF and I are talking about where he should request to go to when he gets stationed. He keeps asking me where I would want to go but I have no clue! I've moved a lot but always within the middle of the country. (IL, IA, MO, NB, etc...) He's in training in FL and I went to visit and fell in love with the beach! But how do we know where we would want to commit if we don't know what all these new parts of the country are like? Any wise words for us please?

My heart goes wherever the Navy takes you
  2. Senior Member
    Is he enlisted or an Officer? And if he is does he have shore or sea duty first? Depending on that will narrow down his choices.
  3. Finally Mrs. Nyman
    Finally Mrs. Nyman
    Me: WIU in Macomb, IL / Him: Jacksonville, FL
    Blog Entries
    He's enlisted in air crew. He's got a list of possible places he can go, which are mostly on the coasts, but all we know midwest life...

My heart goes wherever the Navy takes you
  4. I Love my Navy Boy
    I Love my Navy Boy
    Florida is nice. Just depends were you live so you can find stuff to do.. But i like it and i've lived here my whole life..
    good luck on what you choose..
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for him View Post
    He's enlisted in air crew. He's got a list of possible places he can go, which are mostly on the coasts, but all we know midwest life...
    So he is going to a squadron? Here at Great Lakes, all that is here is the RTC side, the Hospital and the A school side. So he probably couldn't get stationed here until he is at leased an E-5, since he is not a medic. There is a base in TN, but that is normally for Shore Duty people. Other than that unless he can get stationed at an Air Force base then he will mostly have to go to either the East or West Coast. Florida is nice, it is where I would prefer to go next. BUT if he is going to be part of a squadron that deploys then I have heard its better to be close the base where the ship leaves out of, so you have the family support from not only the squadron but also the ship.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I don't know what to tell you, but I know this--I do NOT want to live in California. Everything I see there is exercise and fit bodies. Dude, I'd stick out like a sore thumb!! lol Not to mention the high cost of living.

I DO love beaches, though-as I'm from the coast.

If I had a choice and wanted to be near a beach, I'd likely pick NC or SC because you are near a beach, but you don't have all the hot-bodied women running around and while there are tourists, it's not the constant tourism like the beaches of Florida-and the beaches there aren't so ridiculously crowded. The cost of living is not bad, and it's beautiful country all the way around..AND you're within 8 hours of the mountains as well!

I am originally from the Coast of NC And it is one gorgeous place.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Adding-I have lived here in Kansas for many, many years (midwest, of course) and I have to say that in terms of the STYLE of living, midwest and NC/SC are very similar. The pace is about the same (NC may be a little slower even!), and the people are similar...not a lot of plastic surgery and fake boobs, and a lot of just...niceness, I guess. I'm not saying everyone in Cali is fake boobed and mean, mind you!!! lol But, to ME, the generalities are that the closest thing to midwest life on a coast would be NC/SC.