Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK .. a few more questions about PCSing!

1. Junior Member

OK .. a few more questions about PCSing!

Advertisements
    I'm sorry I keep asking questions - but this is all new to me, my husbands away in tech school and we are PCSing next month! I have searched the forums, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for! So here are my questions ...

1) How long before you PCS should you apply for DLA?
    2) Does anyone know what the rates are for a partial DITY?
    3) Do we have to do anything with finance before we do the partial DITY or do we just go to the weighing station with the empty car and when the car is full?
    4) We have just purchased a brand new bedroom set. Anyone have any tips to ensure that if scratches etc are created while being moved, we will be compensated?
    5) What items do you guys think we should move ourselves? I have heard instances of certain items going 'missing' during a move. I'm going to take my IMac and my husbands computer - what else?

Thanks guys - sorry for being such a pain!!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    4) We have just purchased a brand new bedroom set. Anyone have any tips to ensure that if scratches etc are created while being moved, we will be compensated?
    5) What items do you guys think we should move ourselves? I have heard instances of certain items going 'missing' during a move. I'm going to take my IMac and my husbands computer - what else?

Thanks guys - sorry for being such a pain!!
    I would take pictures and keep all your receipts handy. Also def. take anything like laptops and whatnot you can fit in your car. We also took all his uniforms and enough clothes and stuff incase our stuff wasn't there when we got there. Also watch them when they pack your stuff and make sure your breakables get packed and wrapped good. Also we got our DLA like a week before we PCS'd I believe but DH was a tech school at the time. Good luck with your move .. we're at barksdale too!!

3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

reguardless of weither you are doing a pertial/full DITY or the military are moving you, you have to go through TMO and go to a breifing and everything there, they will have all the information on where to go to get the car and trailor weighed for you (I am pretty sure if you just have a car with stuff in it, they consider it personal items and not a DITY).
    Do you have a POA, you will need that to do anything. Anything that you move, if it is damaged I am pretty sure it will not be covered if it is damaged. If you have a plasma tv, you will have to move that yourself, or get a special made crate for it.
    We have done 2 partial DITYs in the past and will never do one again. From now on, the military moves what we can't fit in the car.

4. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykay View Post
    reguardless of weither you are doing a pertial/full DITY or the military are moving you, you have to go through TMO and go to a breifing and everything there, they will have all the information on where to go to get the car and trailor weighed for you (I am pretty sure if you just have a car with stuff in it, they consider it personal items and not a DITY).
    Do you have a POA, you will need that to do anything. Anything that you move, if it is damaged I am pretty sure it will not be covered if it is damaged. If you have a plasma tv, you will have to move that yourself, or get a special made crate for it.
    We have done 2 partial DITYs in the past and will never do one again. From now on, the military moves what we can't fit in the car.
    The military are moving the majority of our stuff, but we were told that what can fit in our cars would be concidered partial DITY. We will not be moving furniture so I was wondering about if the movers scratch it etc. Is TMO the meeting thing about PCSing? We went to that but we were not told specifics - like where to get the car weighed etc. We were also not told we would need a special create for the Plasma TV. It's to big to fit in any of our cars. My hsuband PCSed from England to Tucson with a Plasma and he didn't have a special create for it, but now I'm worried! (the worrier that I am!). What is POA??? Thanks
  5. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofabeach85 View Post
    I would take pictures and keep all your receipts handy. Also def. take anything like laptops and whatnot you can fit in your car. We also took all his uniforms and enough clothes and stuff incase our stuff wasn't there when we got there. Also watch them when they pack your stuff and make sure your breakables get packed and wrapped good. Also we got our DLA like a week before we PCS'd I believe but DH was a tech school at the time. Good luck with your move .. we're at barksdale too!!
    Thanks How long have you been there? Do you live on or off base? sorry for yet more questions! lol!
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

If you have pictures/portraits that can't be replaced, take them out of the frame and move them yourself... I also move my completed scrapbooks myself as well.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Senior Member
    Thanks How long have you been there? Do you live on or off base? sorry for yet more questions! lol!
    We bought a house off base and we've been here 3 years and we're hoping to get outta here soon!!

8. Banned
    Banned
    1) How long before you PCS should you apply for DLA?you should apply for this no longer that 30 days out and will generally recieve 5-14 days before PCS date
    2) Does anyone know what the rates are for a partial DITY?Paratil PPM rates are about 85 cents to 1.25 per Lb
    3) Do we have to do anything with finance before we do the partial DITY or do we just go to the weighing station with the empty car and when the car is full?you must get the Partial PPM authorised before actually doing it and you will do that at the TMO
    4) We have just purchased a brand new bedroom set. Anyone have any tips to ensure that if scratches etc are created while being moved, we will be compensated?yes to a point- there is a dollar cap for damaged and broken items, your TMO will have that information if you need it fast let me know I have it
    5) What items do you guys think we should move ourselves?
    important papers, photos, things that are valuable or irreplacable ( jewlery, guns,)I have heard instances of certain items going 'missing' during a move. I'm going to take my IMac and my husbands computer - what else? those things I listed, also clothing shoes, makeup, candles ect
  9. Banned
    Banned
    The military are moving the majority of our stuff, but we were told that what can fit in our cars would be concidered partial DITY. We will not be moving furniture so I was wondering about if the movers scratch it etc. Is TMO the meeting thing about PCSing? We went to that but we were not told specifics - like where to get the car weighed etc. We were also not told we would need a special create for the Plasma TV. It's to big to fit in any of our cars. My hsuband PCSed from England to Tucson with a Plasma and he didn't have a special create for it, but now I'm worried! (the worrier that I am!). What is POA??? Thanks
    for the plasma with the new rules they will either need the original box and packing material or they will need to biuld a crate for it-- they need to know this before you schedule them to come out.

also the replacement value will cap at 1500 dollars NO matter what it cost you to buy in the first place.
  10. Junior Member
    Thanks for the answers guys I spoke to my husband who is in tech school right now. He told me that before he went to tech school he went to finance and all that , gave them his orders etc. He tells me that he doesn't have to do anything to get DLA, they know hes PCSing, so they will just give him the money. Is this true? It's all a bit up in the air because he is away. He also said that when he arranged for the movers, he had to write down he had a plasma TV, but they didn't say anything about having a custom crate made! The fact they know he has one means we don't have to worry right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast