Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: In Processing at a new duty station? Some help would be great!

1. Senior Member

Exclamation In Processing at a new duty station? Some help would be great!

Advertisements
    DH and I arrived yesterday at Ft. Stewart. When he reported there this morning, they told him in processing would take 8 days (all 8 days are mapped out, so its not really an estimate) even though all of his sgts told him it would only take 2 .

We are actually stationed at Hunter, but all the in processing takes place at stewart.

I ended up being on his orders (im not really sure how but i was so happy!)

So because i'm on his orders, he is allowed to stay with me at the hotel every night during this process. The on base hotel was all booked when i called, So we are staying at a nearby hotel off base instead.
    My concern is, will they reimburse us for this?
    And also, i know that you are allowed 10 days of TLE when PCSing...are these 8 days of in processing included in that 10? Because if so, it's going to be almost impossible for us to find an apartment within those 10 days if he is gone all day, and i've heard we can't sign a lease until we go talk to housing at hunter.

does anyone have some advice on how this works?
    Anything would be great..im going out of my mind trying to figure out how we're going to afford this hotel bill
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I could be wrong but I dont think they will reimb. for the hotel.........some of the pther ladies probably know.
  3. Senior Member
    If its because lodging isn't available on base he should be able to get reimbursed...
  4. Yes, I am a male
    Yes, I am a male
    Blog Entries

Make sure that they stamped on his orders that lodgings weren't available and be sure to submit the receipt for the hotel when he does his travel claim, that SHOULD ensure that he is paid, but never rely on the military pay system if you can avoid it.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    yes it is for the first 10 days you are at your new duty station- and will be reimbursed -there is a cap per day- and you will need to save all your hotel reciepts to show proof of the hotel costs.
    adding in here- if you did not stay at a hotel at the old duty station you will have the full 10 days where you are now- but if you stayed at a hotel at the old duty station you have to subtract that many days from what you can use now-

you will have to do some of the leg work yourself- you can go with him to housing and then go on your own to look at apts or plan to go on a sat- and take 5-7 hours to find a place-
  6. Senior Member
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/trave...titlements.htm

Anything over the allowed days will be an out of pocket expense.

I don't know about Stewart, but when DH has improcessed, it never took up all of the business hours of the day so it allowed us a couple hours on different days to speak to housing or landlords (say apartment hunting). But the short time span is one reason families are encouraged to research their accepting bases and if possible take their 10 days of free days for house hunting. Since your DH has already signed into base and started house hunting it is too late to take these free days.

Good luck.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carney View Post
    Hi,
    It is true that while PCSing you are entitled for TLE (Temporary Lodging Expense). The member and his dependents do get reimbursement for 10 days. So I guess you will receive it. However, the amount is pre decided so anything exceeding that will be paid by you people. Also, these 8 days of processing will be included in your TLE period of 10 days. My friend was in the similar circumstance as you, and eventually he decided to take a loan for PCS move from Military loans http://www.militaryloans.com/our_military_loans/kinds.html. Their processing was fast and he received the money through direct deposit. The cost of move could have landed him in debt which he got rid of through the loan.
    a need for a loan is lessened if they are smart and get thier allowances in advance- dLA, per diem and MALT can be paid in advance.
    also there are 2 ways to get an interest free loan from the military by applying for advance PAY or advance BAH and you can ask for up to three months in advance.
    why pay an interest rate when you don't have too.
  8. Formerly known as stapletonlove
    Formerly known as stapletonlove
    Quote Originally Posted by armygirl8714 View Post
    DH and I arrived yesterday at Ft. Stewart. When he reported there this morning, they told him in processing would take 8 days (all 8 days are mapped out, so its not really an estimate) even though all of his sgts told him it would only take 2 .

We are actually stationed at Hunter, but all the in processing takes place at stewart.

I ended up being on his orders (im not really sure how but i was so happy!)

So because i'm on his orders, he is allowed to stay with me at the hotel every night during this process. The on base hotel was all booked when i called, So we are staying at a nearby hotel off base instead.
    My concern is, will they reimburse us for this?
    And also, i know that you are allowed 10 days of TLE when PCSing...are these 8 days of in processing included in that 10? Because if so, it's going to be almost impossible for us to find an apartment within those 10 days if he is gone all day, and i've heard we can't sign a lease until we go talk to housing at hunter.

does anyone have some advice on how this works?
    Anything would be great..im going out of my mind trying to figure out how we're going to afford this hotel bill

They will not reimburse you for the hotel, but the 8 days of processing does not count for your 10. Also, they say it takes 10 days to in process, even though it is maped out it it changes. So, it could be longer than that or shorter.

We are in Stewart!

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You get up to 10 days of TLE when PCSing - they can be used in combination at either the starting or ending duty station. There is a formula that can be found here http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/faqtle.html along with more helpful information. If you have a copy of your DH's orders and a power of attorney then you can go to the housing office on your own to get things started there.
    Visit my Etsy shop - All Ribboned Out
    Guy meets girl
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by steelrfn View Post
    Make sure that they stamped on his orders that lodgings weren't available and be sure to submit the receipt for the hotel when he does his travel claim, that SHOULD ensure that he is paid, but never rely on the military pay system if you can avoid it.
    once you have signed in at the duty station, even though you are allowed 10 days lodging, you will need to get a stamp or letter from lodging saying there is nothing available in order for you to be reinbursed. They also may give you a list of hotels where you can stay and once something becomes available at lodging, they may require you to move in there. If you don't have approval from lodging to stay offbase it will be out of your pocket.