Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH explained our move better...

1. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish

Grumpy DH explained our move better...

Advertisements
    I now understand why we are paying for the move ourselves instead of the navy moving us. My DH is getting out of the military in Dec 2009 and if we choose to have the navy move us to SD instead of doing it ourselves he basically has to extend till June 2010. He absolutely hates this command so extending for 6 months just so they can move us there just isn't worth it. I really think it's crap that anyone they move there has to be stuck with this crap command till June 2010 even if their enlistment is up. So yeah we're paying for the move ourselves which sucks but it's better than him being stuck for another 6 months.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by =Mrs.AiNokeA= View Post
    I now understand why we are paying for the move ourselves instead of the navy moving us. My DH is getting out of the military in Dec 2009 and if we choose to have the navy move us to SD instead of doing it ourselves he basically has to extend till June 2010. He absolutely hates this command so extending for 6 months just so they can move us there just isn't worth it. I really think it's crap that anyone they move there has to be stuck with this crap command till June 2010 even if their enlistment is up. So yeah we're paying for the move ourselves which sucks but it's better than him being stuck for another 6 months.
    Ummm who is telling you this?? You get one last move when you separate at your EAOS. Have you talked with JPPSO about the move?
  3. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Quote Originally Posted by NC@SEA View Post
    Ummm who is telling you this?? You get one last move when you separate at your EAOS. Have you talked with JPPSO about the move?
    I don't know who is telling my DH this. His command is so messed up. I do know we will be moving again once he gets out in Dec. and finds a job. So I don't know if maybe moving twice in a year is a reason. I don't think so though since everyone on his boat was told the same thing.
  4. Senior Member
    I don't know who is telling my DH this. His command is so messed up. I do know we will be moving again once he gets out in Dec. and finds a job. So I don't know if maybe moving twice in a year is a reason. I don't think so though since everyone on his boat was told the same thing.
    Well you are authorized one move to be taken within a year of separation to your home of record or other designated place of choice. If it's not to your home of record and it's futher then you pay the difference.

Since he is getting out in Dec then he needs to attend TAP right away as they will tell him what's authorized.
  5. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Quote Originally Posted by NC@SEA View Post
    Well you are authorized one move to be taken within a year of separation to your home of record or other designated place of choice. If it's not to your home of record and it's futher then you pay the difference.

Since he is getting out in Dec then he needs to attend TAP right away as they will tell him what's authorized.
    Hmm I have to talk to him. They kept changing their minds about the move till we got to the point where we are now. I don't think it has anything to do with him getting out since he said everyone on his boat was told the same thing about being at the command till June 2010. Everything just really sucks since after his 6 days of leave to move to SD he has to fly back to TX. Then he goes on the boat for over 50 days to slowly move the stupid crap ass boat that will most likely break down many times on it's way to SD.

After he gets here they will be in SD for a month or so and then they deploy. The main reason we are even moving me over there is so I can spend that short time with him. If we didn't move then it would be like starting the deployment months earlier since I'd have to say goodbye to him next month.

I don't know all this military stuff confuses the hell out of me.

Them moving us after he gets out wont be a problem at all. Home of record is where he joined the navy from right? Not where he is now a resident? He became a resident of TX when we moved here but we are originally from Hawaii. So pretty much almost anyplace on the mainland would be cheaper to move to than moving us back to Hawaii.
  6. "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    I hope you can get everything figured out Stacey
  7. Senior Member
    Hmm I have to talk to him. They kept changing their minds about the move till we got to the point where we are now. I don't think it has anything to do with him getting out since he said everyone on his boat was told the same thing about being at the command till June 2010. Everything just really sucks since after his 6 days of leave to move to SD he has to fly back to TX. Then he goes on the boat for over 50 days to slowly move the stupid crap ass boat that will most likely break down many times on it's way to SD.

After he gets here they will be in SD for a month or so and then they deploy. The main reason we are even moving me over there is so I can spend that short time with him. If we didn't move then it would be like starting the deployment months earlier since I'd have to say goodbye to him next month.

I don't know all this military stuff confuses the hell out of me.

Them moving us after he gets out wont be a problem at all. Home of record is where he joined the navy from right? Not where he is now a resident? He became a resident of TX when we moved here but we are originally from Hawaii. So pretty much almost anyplace on the mainland would be cheaper to move to than moving us back to Hawaii.
    Yes home of record is the location where he lived when he enlisted.

Now I guess the Navy could be different, but it is my understanding that when the military gives you orders to move, they pay for your move. Either by hiring the movers or reimbursing you if you do a dity move. And then yes you get one move after you get out.

I have never heard of if you want them to move you, you have to extend your enlistment. When we moved to our current base DH had about 1 year left before he would have to either reenlist or get out. The AF moved us no issues.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I get what she's trying to say and I understand what the Navy is doing. It sounds like the ship is going through a change of homeport. When that happens they will move all the families with the ship with a few exceptions. Since he has less than one year left in the military they will not to pay for the family to move to a new homeport because they will then have to turn around and move them after he gets out. If he had more than a year left in before his EAOS then they would pay the family to move.

The same happens if the member has a short amount of time left on the ship when it makes the port change.
    Visit my Etsy shop - All Ribboned Out
    Guy meets girl
  9. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste9 View Post
    I get what she's trying to say and I understand what the Navy is doing. It sounds like the ship is going through a change of homeport. When that happens they will move all the families with the ship with a few exceptions. Since he has less than one year left in the military they will not to pay for the family to move to a new homeport because they will then have to turn around and move them after he gets out. If he had more than a year left in before his EAOS then they would pay the family to move.

The same happens if the member has a short amount of time left on the ship when it makes the port change.
    the ship is doing change of homeport. I can understand why they'd want him to extend too, since his EAOS is so soon after their arrival. (it's complicated for a lot of people to understand with this group of ships and their crew swaps though, crew swaps threw us all for a loop for a good while.)

I think you guys are doing the right thing Stacey.. this way Joey doesn't have to prolong the agony and can get out as planned.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

10. Senior Member
    Homeport Changes are sometimes tricky and I am starting to understand the whole story.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast