Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Confused about everything

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Confused about everything

Advertisements
    HI ladies. I have so many questions but don't know how to go about asking them. Here it goes my DF and I have been in a long distance relationship ever since he joined the Army. We are both getting tired of being apart and so we plan to get married sometime in May to be together. I don't know anything about anything LOL. He keeps telling me he needs to enroll me in DEERS so I can receive military benefits after we get married and what not. Also we want to live off base but we are unsure whether we should just live on base... what's the difference? l've read that it's better to live off base bc you get more privacy and bc sometimes it's more economical. I'm also concerned about moving out there with him. He is stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA and I live in CA. How do you go about moving? Does the military help with the move? I have a car and don't want to leave it behind, will the army pay to ship it to WA? I was thinking maybe I could just pack my stuff and drive up there but honestly I'm scared to do that all by myself and I'm also unsure if my car will make the drive up there. I just want to get information about what to expect and what do I need to know and do before we get married. Please help me understand better. I only know what it's like to be a GF in long distance relationship and have no clue as to what to expect and don't really understand how everything works
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    After you get married you will take you Marriage certificate to where you enroll in DEERs and get an ID card. Its very easy and doesn't take long. Both of you will need to go. As far as getting BAH. If you live on base you will not see the money they will take all of it for your "rent". If you live off base you will get the money in your pay checks (split in 2) and if you don't spend it all on rent you can spend it as you like. On base your utilities are paid. Of course off base most places you have to pay them all yourself. As far as moving I am pretty sure the military will not pay for you to move nor will they ship your car. The only time the military moves family and the service member is when there are orders to a new location. Good Luck.
  3. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I stuck some answers into your quote; they are in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Paque View Post
    HI ladies. I have so many questions but don't know how to go about asking them. Here it goes my DF and I have been in a long distance relationship ever since he joined the Army. We are both getting tired of being apart and so we plan to get married sometime in May to be together. I don't know anything about anything LOL. He keeps telling me he needs to enroll me in DEERS so I can receive military benefits after we get married and what not. Also we want to live off base but we are unsure whether we should just live on base... what's the difference? The major differences is that if you life off base and your rent is less than your alloted amount (BAH), you pocket the difference. Also, be sure that he is authorized to live off base - he most likely is but I'm here in Korea and some people are not authorized to live off. l've read that it's better to live off base bc you get more privacy and bc sometimes it's more economical. I'm also concerned about moving out there with him. He is stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA and I live in CA. How do you go about moving? Does the military help with the move? The military will not pay for the move if he is already stationed there before you were married. I have a car and don't want to leave it behind, will the army pay to ship it to WA? Even if you were married already and you were on his orders, for a CONUS PCS they will not ship a vehicle. You will have to drive it there. I was thinking maybe I could just pack my stuff and drive up there but honestly I'm scared to do that all by myself and I'm also unsure if my car will make the drive up there. I just want to get information about what to expect and what do I need to know and do before we get married. Please help me understand better. I only know what it's like to be a GF in long distance relationship and have no clue as to what to expect and don't really understand how everything works