Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DH getting told to leave barracks?!

1. Senior Member

Help DH getting told to leave barracks?!

Advertisements
    Last edited by foxytango; 01-11-2010 at 01:14 PM.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    almost all branches are not allowing GEOgraghical BACHelors ( geo bach) to live in the barracks-

you need to get the BAH started ASAP or you will end up in the whole big time.

BAH is paid retro actively- so when you move in you will need to pay for the rent in advance- so if you move in say MAr 1st the BAH that is paid on march 1st is actually for feb 15-30 march BAH is then paid in 1/2 on the 15th of march with the balance paid april first.

I am not sure why they told you you would get reimbursed when you paid your rent- I do not see how that is possible-

your Dh will have to stay with someone or get a hotel room until you guys get housing.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    yeah, i think that's normal. dh had a week to find a place off base and move out. he had to pay two months rent out of pocket before bah caught up.

i hope things work out.
  4. Senior Member
    oh, we are going to be living on post housing.

at housing they told us that BAH will come in automatically once we sign for the house, but we have to pay whatever is left over for the month up front and then the BAH would make up for whatever we had to spend??

she said you only sign up for BAH when you are living off post, otherwise it is automatic.

she also said she has been an army wife for 15years and Drum has the worst housing system she has seen.
  5. Senior Member
    They didnt make my DH leave the barracks. He stayed there untill our apartment was ready for us, that turned out to be over a month after he got his orders.
  6. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxytango View Post
    oh, we are going to be living on post housing.

at housing they told us that BAH will come in automatically once we sign for the house, but we have to pay whatever is left over for the month up front and then the BAH would make up for whatever we had to spend??

she said you only sign up for BAH when you are living off post, otherwise it is automatic.

she also said she has been an army wife for 15years and Drum has the worst housing system she has seen.
    She's probably sympathetic to your situation and right about moving out. We pretty much expect if it costs money, we're gonna have to pay for it first.
    (My favorite pay first reimburse later expense was the $2800 Euro we got to pay for a 40 day hotel stay in Germany. That was brutal. )

As far as your DH living in the barracks, they usually have 10 days from the wedding to move. If a unit is kind, they could let him stay, but if they need the room or decide to be mean about it they have the right to kick him out.

Did you guys discuss this plan with his chain of command?
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    almost all branches are not allowing GEOgraghical BACHelors ( geo bach) to live in the barracks-

you need to get the BAH started ASAP or you will end up in the whole big time.

BAH is paid retro actively- so when you move in you will need to pay for the rent in advance- so if you move in say MAr 1st the BAH that is paid on march 1st is actually for feb 15-30 march BAH is then paid in 1/2 on the 15th of march with the balance paid april first.

I am not sure why they told you you would get reimbursed when you paid your rent- I do not see how that is possible-

your Dh will have to stay with someone or get a hotel room until you guys get housing.
    to all of the above!

He can no longer stay at the barracks free of charge, it sucks but that's what happens when too many people abuse the system.

Do they have geo bachelor barracks there?
    Or Temporary lodging, it's cheaper than a hotel.
  8. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.
    He'll have to move into the bachelors quarters which can range from $8-$20 a day.
    He can see into becoming a Geo bachelor until you get your house situated, that usually goes around $150 a month.

He basically just needs to talk to his command and let them know what's going on. Usually command is sympathetic and will assess each situation individually.

You will get back paid for BAH. If push comes to shove, go to the Navy Relief Society (not sure what its called in army but they're on each base) and they can lend you money for the month of without interest.
    boop boop boop boopy boop.
  9. Senior Member
    DH says there is no way around this one.
    two options-
    stay at a hotel for situations like this ($25 a day)
    or live with his friend
    but it would be cheaper to live with his friend
    plus he doesn't have a car and his friend can drive him to work if he lives there

eh, it will be challenging, but we will figure it out.
    welcome to the life of an army wife huh? lol

thanks for helping out though!
  10. Senior Member
    DH didn't have to leave the barracks until I got out here, about a month and a half. We also didn't have to pay our balance to housing until like 2 weeks after we moved in. that you are able to get things figured out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast