Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting married in Europe

1. One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.
    One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.

Getting married in Europe

Advertisements
    I just have a few questions...

My boyfriend is being re-stationed to England next month & we're talking about getting married around Christmas. We'd love to get married in England but not on base. How would we apply for an American marriage license? And would we need to contact the city we want to get married in since we're not British nationals?

Also, what paperwork does he need to do in order for me to move over there? What steps does he need to take & when should we start the process?

I know these are alot of questions but I'm so lost on what we need to do! Help!
  2. Epic
    Epic

I don't have any info about getting married in England because DH and I got married in Germany but I wanted to say congrats!

As for the paperwork, there is going to be a lot because he will already be over here and it can take a while depending on the time of year and how busy all the offices he needs to contact are. He will have to get you into deers, tricare, you will need an ID card, he will have to apply for command sponsorship, get his orders ammended to include you, you will need a medical and dental clearance, you will also need a no-fee passport and VISA.
  3. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    I want to comment on your plan to get married in England. It's easier to be processed into military life if you get married by Americans with an American wedding certificate. It can cause delays by getting married in a foreign country because there is a lot of extra paperwork to have the certificate recognized by the American government. You might consider doing a JOP wedding in the states before your ceremony in England.
    Last edited by PeppermintRei; 01-19-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: grammar
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  4. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    http://travel.state.gov/law/family_i...riage_589.html website from the state department about getting married abroad. You have to have your marriage certificate authenticated before you can turn it in for DEERS. If you want to move to join him as quickly as possible I highly recommend an American wedding first.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  5. Senior Member
    Torie just got married in Denmark, she may be able to help.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    England marriage laws are difficult. You have to establish residency for a few weeks. We looked into it. If I were you two, I'd do a quick legal American wedding and then do your vows in England.
  7. Senior Member
    Also is it possible for you to get married by a Chaplain on base?
  8. One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.
    One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.
    I was thinking about that! Could we just get married on base by a Chaplain? I didn't know how that worked either. If we want to get married in December, when should we start the paperwork process? Like what month?

Thanks girls for all of your help!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    To get married in the UK you have to reside there for at least two weeks and you have to have your documents authenticated by a notary before turning in your paperwork. This is a fairly easy process and the base should be able to provide guidance for this. If you let me know where you want to get married I can find the govt. website you'll need to apply for the marriage licence. You might have to go back to the US for a period of time until the paperwork is processed by the military to enable you to live legally in the country. I think the limit for your stay (with a visa waiver) is 90 days.
  10. Epic
    Epic

Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    I want to comment on your plan to get married in England. It's easier to be processed into military life if you get married by Americans with an American wedding certificate.
    That isn't true. I have a German marriage certificate and the Air Force had no problems with it. Right after DH and I got married we went to MPF and I got my ID card and all my other Air Force paperwork changed with no hassle at all. 2 of our friends have been married here in England and the neither one of them had issues. The worst part for both of them was getting command sponsored.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast