Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about Short tours and follow on base

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Jump for Joy Question about Short tours and follow on base

Advertisements
    My hubby is volunteering for his short tour and we are wanting to move prior to him leaving, he hasn't been selected yet. I am just trying to see if I can get an idea of how things will work. We REALLY want to move before he goes so we can buy a house... If any of you have done a PCS like this Please Share your knowledge..
  2. Senior Member
    You should get notice of your base around time you get an assignment or orders (we're Air Force). If its an OCONUS you obviously wouldn't be able to move... otherwise they will pay for you to live wherever your addy is... and depends on the command if they will pay to move you or not according to DH.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks so much for the advice... We are wanting to stay state side, my mom has been sick and I really am tired of being on the other side of the country.. We put in for a humanitarian but since she is married they didn't approve it.. So here we are.. I have heard of people moving before a short tour i just want to know if there are any tricks to it..
  4. Banned
    Banned
    you cannot move until the member has official orders- and for the short tour- he must have in the orders the follow on- when the orders are issued you can then set up to do the move.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    How soon after orders come down are you usually able to move.. In other words I am trying to figure out how much unpacking I will be doing on my own, again...
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfinley View Post
    How soon after orders come down are you usually able to move.. In other words I am trying to figure out how much unpacking I will be doing on my own, again...

as soon as you can set up the move- if you are doing a full PPM ( DITY) then as soon as you rent a truck and get it packed. if you are doing a GV move as soon as they can get the movers out- I have seen it done it 3 days after reciept of orders. and as long as 30 days, alot depends on the TMO office and how busy the moving co is.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks so much for all of your help... Military moves are not anything new but I have never moved to a new base just before a deployment and with us wanting to buy a house am probably getting ahead of myself... We have been stationed places we haven't picked for 7 years now and I am looking forward to the idea of being at least on the side of the country I want to be on..