Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What can we pack and not pack?

1. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries

What can we pack and not pack?

Advertisements
    When we move? We are having military move us and flying over.. so what can we pack and can't we?

Can we pack cleaning supplies?

Or is there a master list someone can show me?
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  2. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Your local JPPSO or moving office on base should have a list about what you can and can't pack. Give them a call.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  3. Senior Member
    I believe you have to pack your cleaning supplies because they wont. Well when we moved they didnt. Plus you have things like guns and ammo, you have to pack those too.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    if you pack it they will either not insure it or will repack it- my suggestion do not pack anything.

they will not take anything flamable or liquid. no candles, no shampoo, not nail polish not liquid cleaners of any kind, no propane tanks, no batteries, no lighters or lighter fluid.

no hairspray, airolsol cans of any kind.

no opened boxes of food nothing perishable.

you should be able to get a full list from your transprtation office

editing in to ask if you have told them you are wanting to fly instead of drive, have they gotten your tix yet?
    are you going to have to ship a vehicle?
  5. Senior Member
    Don't bother packing anything before hand. The movers will come in with boxes and do everything for you. Some moving companies are different than others. I've had one that wouldn't pack any of our shampoos or soaps and took all the batteries out of my kids toys and only packed limited pantry items. Another moving company packed up just about everything in the house including some cleaning supplies, shampoo, batteries and some other things they normally wont pack.

We always drove from place to place. I ALWAYS took all our pictures with us. Not the framed ones though. Sadly we had a whole box of framed pictures get lost. Some of the only ones we didn't have copies of. I bring along diplomas, birth certificates, Marriage license, SS cards, a copy of his orders, any papers we get from the movers, anything else I can think of that might be had to replace if its lost. I bring along all mine and my daughters jewelry. More clothes than I think we will need because I never know exactly how long we'll be without our stuff.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    Don't bother packing anything before hand. The movers will come in with boxes and do everything for you. Some moving companies are different than others. I've had one that wouldn't pack any of our shampoos or soaps and took all the batteries out of my kids toys and only packed limited pantry items. Another moving company packed up just about everything in the house including some cleaning supplies, shampoo, batteries and some other things they normally wont pack.

We always drove from place to place. I ALWAYS took all our pictures with us. Not the framed ones though. Sadly we had a whole box of framed pictures get lost. Some of the only ones we didn't have copies of. I bring along diplomas, birth certificates, Marriage license, SS cards, a copy of his orders, any papers we get from the movers, anything else I can think of that might be had to replace if its lost. I bring along all mine and my daughters jewelry. More clothes than I think we will need because I never know exactly how long we'll be without our stuff.
    Would you take all pictures with you if you were moving overseas too? I'm worried about that kind of thing when we move over to England. I think I've decided to take everything out of the frames in case the frames get lost but I would be devastated if we lost our photos.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SrahsCat View Post
    Would you take all pictures with you if you were moving overseas too? I'm worried about that kind of thing when we move over to England. I think I've decided to take everything out of the frames in case the frames get lost but I would be devastated if we lost our photos.
    Take anything in your carry-on or luggage that you couldn't risk losing. If you have no copies of the photos, I would take them. We just had one backpack full of all our important documents and photos and jewelry and never let that out of our sight.
  8. Senior Member
    Thanks for the info. It might be time to start getting copies made and stored at my parents' house! We're doing that with our back ups of digital pics already in case of loss or damage or a bad tornado season while we're stuck here.
  9. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    if you pack it they will either not insure it or will repack it- my suggestion do not pack anything.

they will not take anything flamable or liquid. no candles, no shampoo, not nail polish not liquid cleaners of any kind, no propane tanks, no batteries, no lighters or lighter fluid.

no hairspray, airolsol cans of any kind.

no opened boxes of food nothing perishable.

you should be able to get a full list from your transprtation office

editing in to ask if you have told them you are wanting to fly instead of drive, have they gotten your tix yet?
    are you going to have to ship a vehicle?
    Yes, we did get our tickets already. Yes, we are also shipping our cars as well...

I'll have to go to the transportation office tomorrow and pick up a list.

Thank you!
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.