Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What can we pack and not pack?

  1. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    JustMrsJoann's Avatar
    JustMrsJoann is offline
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lusby, MD
    Posts
    5,383
    Blog Entries
    3
    #1

    What can we pack and not pack?

    Advertisements
    When we move? We are having military move us and flying over.. so what can we pack and can't we?

    Can we pack cleaning supplies?

    Or is there a master list someone can show me?
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  2. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    PeppermintRei's Avatar
    PeppermintRei is offline
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    6,744
    #2
    Your local JPPSO or moving office on base should have a list about what you can and can't pack. Give them a call.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  3. Senior Member
    navyaowife2005's Avatar
    navyaowife2005 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,148
    #3
    I believe you have to pack your cleaning supplies because they wont. Well when we moved they didnt. Plus you have things like guns and ammo, you have to pack those too.
  4. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #4
    if you pack it they will either not insure it or will repack it- my suggestion do not pack anything.

    they will not take anything flamable or liquid. no candles, no shampoo, not nail polish not liquid cleaners of any kind, no propane tanks, no batteries, no lighters or lighter fluid.

    no hairspray, airolsol cans of any kind.

    no opened boxes of food nothing perishable.

    you should be able to get a full list from your transprtation office

    editing in to ask if you have told them you are wanting to fly instead of drive, have they gotten your tix yet?
    are you going to have to ship a vehicle?
  5. Senior Member
    Heather's Avatar
    Heather is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    My little house on the prairie
    Posts
    18,789
    #5
    Don't bother packing anything before hand. The movers will come in with boxes and do everything for you. Some moving companies are different than others. I've had one that wouldn't pack any of our shampoos or soaps and took all the batteries out of my kids toys and only packed limited pantry items. Another moving company packed up just about everything in the house including some cleaning supplies, shampoo, batteries and some other things they normally wont pack.

    We always drove from place to place. I ALWAYS took all our pictures with us. Not the framed ones though. Sadly we had a whole box of framed pictures get lost. Some of the only ones we didn't have copies of. I bring along diplomas, birth certificates, Marriage license, SS cards, a copy of his orders, any papers we get from the movers, anything else I can think of that might be had to replace if its lost. I bring along all mine and my daughters jewelry. More clothes than I think we will need because I never know exactly how long we'll be without our stuff.
  6. Senior Member
    BlueBird's Avatar
    BlueBird is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,084
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    Don't bother packing anything before hand. The movers will come in with boxes and do everything for you. Some moving companies are different than others. I've had one that wouldn't pack any of our shampoos or soaps and took all the batteries out of my kids toys and only packed limited pantry items. Another moving company packed up just about everything in the house including some cleaning supplies, shampoo, batteries and some other things they normally wont pack.

    We always drove from place to place. I ALWAYS took all our pictures with us. Not the framed ones though. Sadly we had a whole box of framed pictures get lost. Some of the only ones we didn't have copies of. I bring along diplomas, birth certificates, Marriage license, SS cards, a copy of his orders, any papers we get from the movers, anything else I can think of that might be had to replace if its lost. I bring along all mine and my daughters jewelry. More clothes than I think we will need because I never know exactly how long we'll be without our stuff.
    Would you take all pictures with you if you were moving overseas too? I'm worried about that kind of thing when we move over to England. I think I've decided to take everything out of the frames in case the frames get lost but I would be devastated if we lost our photos.
  7. Senior Member
    Emmy's Avatar
    Emmy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,634
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SrahsCat View Post
    Would you take all pictures with you if you were moving overseas too? I'm worried about that kind of thing when we move over to England. I think I've decided to take everything out of the frames in case the frames get lost but I would be devastated if we lost our photos.
    Take anything in your carry-on or luggage that you couldn't risk losing. If you have no copies of the photos, I would take them. We just had one backpack full of all our important documents and photos and jewelry and never let that out of our sight.
  8. Senior Member
    BlueBird's Avatar
    BlueBird is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,084
    #8
    Thanks for the info. It might be time to start getting copies made and stored at my parents' house! We're doing that with our back ups of digital pics already in case of loss or damage or a bad tornado season while we're stuck here.
  9. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    JustMrsJoann's Avatar
    JustMrsJoann is offline
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lusby, MD
    Posts
    5,383
    Blog Entries
    3
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    if you pack it they will either not insure it or will repack it- my suggestion do not pack anything.

    they will not take anything flamable or liquid. no candles, no shampoo, not nail polish not liquid cleaners of any kind, no propane tanks, no batteries, no lighters or lighter fluid.

    no hairspray, airolsol cans of any kind.

    no opened boxes of food nothing perishable.

    you should be able to get a full list from your transprtation office

    editing in to ask if you have told them you are wanting to fly instead of drive, have they gotten your tix yet?
    are you going to have to ship a vehicle?
    Yes, we did get our tickets already. Yes, we are also shipping our cars as well...

    I'll have to go to the transportation office tomorrow and pick up a list.

    Thank you!
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •