Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Car Registrations and Moving

1. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries

Car Registrations and Moving

Advertisements
    So, it's annoying the bejeebus out of me that I have to re-register the Jeep two weeks before we ship it... and now I can't remember what we need to do in Hawaii. Can I leave it registered in VA until it's about to expire??? Why am I having brain issues today?
  2. Senior Member
    Thats a really good question! I hope you can leave it that way until it expires. Our is registered in Mississippi and we live in California.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I need to know too. I don't want to renew my florida registration in February if I'm just going to have to get a California tag come march.
  4. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Hawaii is VERY specific about this, unlike most states.

Do you want to keep your car registered in VA? Or change it to HI? HI has very cheap registration rates, which is why most military change it, but if you just paid VA then you might want to keep your VA tags for a year until they get closer to expiring and then get HI tags. We kept our FL tags the first 2 yrs and bought a car here and got HI tags that way.

To keep out of state tags you'll need the papers listed below (bring a POA if he's not there!) and you'll pay $5 to get a lovely blue sticker for your car.

This is from DH's command's website:

Each service member is authorized to ship one privately owned vehicle at government expense. Check with your current Household Goods Officer for information regarding shipping times and locations. Before shipping your vehicle, you must have permission from the lien holder to transport the vehicle to Hawaii. If the vehicle is co-registered, you must also show that person's permission to ship the vehicle. If you are shipping a privately owned vehicle (POV) it will require approximately 60 days from the East Coast or 21 days from the West Coast to reach Oahu. All personal vehicles must be safety inspected within 10 days after arrival on the island.

NOTE: The "10 day" rule applies only to vehicles with valid and current registration and license plates. Otherwise, the vehicle must be registered immediately.

To register your car in Hawaii, your are required to have the following documents:

Proof of ownership and/or certificate of registration

Shipping documents

Hawaii no-fault insurance coverage (You must specifically have a Hawaii automobile insurance card. Email and Xerox copies will not be accepted- Ensure you call your insurance agency before you arrive in Hawaii to obtain proof of insurance. )

Proof of completed Hawaii safety inspection (vehicle owners whose cars have minor modifications, including mag wheels, must have a reconstruction permit from the Honolulu Police Department and display the reconstruction decal on the vehicle. You can get this done at the MWR Auto Hobby Shot near Makalapa gate.).

Valid Military identification card

If you are not a Hawaii resident you must obtain the following from our admin department.

Non-resident Certificate Form DFL50 (to be signed by the commanding officer verifying your home of record as reflected in your service record).

Once you have all these forms, you may obtain your registration by presenting the documents to any Satellite City Hall (Ala Moana Center, Downtown, Kailua, Kalihi/Kapalama, Kaneohe (Windward Mall), Wahiawa, Waianae, Waipahu) Monday through Friday (7:45 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.).

Back

DOD Decals

To obtain DOD decals, you have to go the decal office right next to the main Nimitz gate. You will need the following documents:

1) Registration

2) Hawaii no fault insurance (mentioned above)

3) Safety Check

4) Driver's License

5) Military ID.

Hawaii no fault insurance is different from insurance in other states, but it should be offered by most nationwide insurance companies.
  5. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Do you need to have the car in HI already to get all of their inspections? It would be nice if you could register in HI those two weeks prior but I'm guessing you would need to have your car inspected there first.
  6. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Yes the car has to be in HI to be inspected. You have to take it to certain inspection places. Some hate tint, so sometimes it's good to get a 2nd opinion.

Bad timing...personally I'd keep the VA tags/registration, depending on the cost. It's only $5 to get the blue out-of-state sticker and keep the VA tags.
  7. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Somehow I missed these responses. So a belated thank you is in order! I appreciate the info!