Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of questions! Please Help!

1. Senior Member

Help Lots of questions! Please Help!

Advertisements
    EDIT:
    All my previous questions were answered
    BUT there is one at the bottom in the replies I still need help with.
    Please take a look and see if you can help me out!
    THANKS!!!!
    Last edited by foxytango; 01-09-2009 at 12:20 AM.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    BAH is a set amount, there is a link somewhere on here that can calculate it for you... its a set amount for the area that you live in... if you can find a place cheaper then that, you keep the extra, if you find a place more expensive then you pay out of pocket for the rest.

I personally wouldnt do a month to month because it can be alot more expensive then a regular lease. But you can ask the places that you are looking at if they have a military clause, if they dont... you can ask about them putting one into your contract.

I believe you should be backpaid any BAH, starting from the day you sign up for it (since it can take a little while to kick in). But I could be wrong
  3. Senior Member
    Your BAH is calculated by the zip code of your husband's duty station, which may or may not necessarily be the same zip code you live in, if you chose to live away from base. It kicks in pretty quick once all the paperwork is straightened out. Monthly rentals can be very expensive and not many places offer them, however you might be able to do a 6 month lease, with a military clause enabling you to break the lease early to move on base without penalty. Short term leases usually do not allow pets, don't know if that's an issue.

And on a side note, my husband's pay has been messed up on several occasions over the years. It happens, keep a constant eye on it whenever you're making changes, especially things like marriage, adding BAH etc.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    OHA is the housing allowance that is rent amount only- BAH is a flat rate based on with or with out dependants and rank and is based on duty location.

you will be paid BAH dated to the marriage date only- and of course currently.

bah is paid retroactively - feb 1st BAH is actually for jan 15-31- feb 15th BAH for 1=15th and so on.

now to throw a wrench in your plan- ft Drum is a critical housing location- meaning civilian housing is in short supply- you may be able to get on the housing list before you get there- he needs to call up there to find out-
    also have him ask about th extended TLE for the location- it is from 10 days to 20 due to the housing shortage.
    before deciding on a month to month- find out what the BAH rate is and then go on line and look at the online newpaper and craigslist and www.apts.com for rentals to be sure you can afford to rent month to month-
  5. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    BAH is a set amount, there is a link somewhere on here that can calculate it for you... its a set amount for the area that you live in... if you can find a place cheaper then that, you keep the extra, if you find a place more expensive then you pay out of pocket for the rest.

I personally wouldnt do a month to month because it can be alot more expensive then a regular lease. But you can ask the places that you are looking at if they have a military clause, if they dont... you can ask about them putting one into your contract.

I believe you should be backpaid any BAH, starting from the day you sign up for it (since it can take a little while to kick in). But I could be wrong

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  6. Senior Member
    Thanks for all the help.
    We already calculated the amount he would get for BAH.
    However, we just recently found out that we will not be able to afford an apartment unless we are drawing BAH, which could be a problem if BAH takes a while to kick in.
    The apartments are outrageous!

Here's a question I need an answer to though....

Since I live quite a ways away from base (3 hours) it's hard for for us to figure out what is going on.
    I want to call housing, explain our situation and see if we can be put on the waiting list for on base housing and when one opens THEN move up to fort drum. I dont know if they allow that or not.
    DH says that if we do that they may tell him he has to leave the barracks since he is now married.
    I just can't see how that is possible.
    I figure they are there to help us and we should just call and explain everything and see what our best plan is. They must deal with things like this all the time.

Any Advice on that ladies?!?!
    Please help and thanks again for the previous replies!

oh also, if anyone is from Drum could you tell me the average wait perhaps? Or how long your wait was?
    Last edited by foxytango; 01-09-2009 at 12:02 AM.
  7. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post

I really wouldn't go to a place that is month to month. It defies logic.
  8. Senior Member
    BUMP
    I need an answer to the question I posted as a reply in the bold please!
    I hope someone can help!
    Thanks!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    To your second question... I believe he can call and ask to be put on the list, as long as he has orders to go there... He will need to be there by the date that he needs to report, no if ands or butts about it... I believe they can put him in the barracks if they have space, since he needs to be there, or he may need to stay in the base hotel until housing opens up...

It wont hurt to call and ask, it varries depending on your situation, and what the housing situation is on base
  10. Senior Member
    He's already stationed at Fort Drum. He is currently on his leave which ends towards the end of this month. He is already in the barracks, but we were hoping we could get a place to live soon. We were looking at apartments off base, but now we were kind of hoping that we could just put our names on list, have him stay at the barracks, and then me move up there when our names get to the top of the list...hoping that it doesn't take too long.
    were going to call housing tomorrow and see what can be done, but he is worried that once he tells them he is married they will boot him out of the barracks..??
    Do they let you put your name on the list and still stay at the barracks? And can I stay here and then when our names come up move there?
    I'm so confused!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast