Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to first duty station? Help

1. simply_sweetx0
    simply_sweetx0

Help Moving to first duty station? Help

Advertisements
    Any advice on PCSing? DH and I are moving soon and I need advice on what to do?

Since we do not have alot of stuff we were just going to pack a uhaul. We are getting on base housing.

DH and I are pcsing when he comes back home from tech school to our first base.

I am sooo new to this. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank You In Advance!
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

even though you may not have much stuff, I would still get the millitary to move you. We did a partial DITY move when we cam to Utah and I hated it, it is soo much easier and less stressful just letting them do it, JMO. How far are you moving?

3. simply_sweetx0
    simply_sweetx0
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykay View Post
    even though you may not have much stuff, I would still get the millitary to move you. We did a partial DITY move when we cam to Utah and I hated it, it is soo much easier and less stressful just letting them do it, JMO. How far are you moving?
    only 5 hours !
  4. Senior Member
    I would gget a bigger uhaul then you plan, and make sure you have base housign before you get there. We have always had a little wait to get into housing up to a long wiat, you need to factor all that in when planning a uhaul rental so you don't have to move to storage then to another uhal then to housing.

Where are you going,? Is it privitaized? Make sure you knwo about pet deposits etc..
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by yaya03 View Post
    only 5 hours !
    that's not too far. Do you have a house yet? or know how long it will take to get into one? I would take that into consideration as well. I think Uhal charge by the day and distance or something so if you can't get into somewhere quickly it may be costly.

6. Aplatel87
    Psssh if it's only 5 hours I think you did good just renting the Uhaul! I think you may have to weigh it once its all loaded. I know we did a partial DITY move and they told us to weigh the car empty and then with everything we were taking in the car. Im not so sure about the UHaul though. He should talk to his commander about it! Or hell call the TMO office at Lackland or your new base and ask for advice from them. Try to enjoy this time! Lord knows you'll do pleeeeeenty moving in the next few years!
  7. Aplatel87
    Quote Originally Posted by amazinggrace View Post
    I would gget a bigger uhaul then you plan, and make sure you have base housign before you get there. We have always had a little wait to get into housing up to a long wiat, you need to factor all that in when planning a uhaul rental so you don't have to move to storage then to another uhal then to housing.

Where are you going,? Is it privitaized? Make sure you knwo about pet deposits etc..
    We had to wait about a week to get into a base house but they put us up in a hotel on base for the time being. That might be a prob with the UHaul since you pay per day right???
  8. Aplatel87
    Man even Im starting to stress about this!
  9. Senior Member
    I have no clue... But good luck either way!!!!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aplatel87 View Post
    We had to wait about a week to get into a base house but they put us up in a hotel on base for the time being. That might be a prob with the UHaul since you pay per day right???
    each base is diffrent we have waited as long as 6 months to get on base. With all the privitzation going on they are tearing down houses on base adn not finished building new ones so the housing can be limited.

You do pay uhaul by the day, so that can add up fast.

You get hotel/hotel on base for 30 days when you move, so that is not a problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast