Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First PCS...

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Help First PCS...

Advertisements
    Ok, it's official, we are going from National Guard to active duty next month. I don't know where our duty station will be, and I won't know until DH goes to MEPS. Here's my situation....

We live in a 3 bedroom mobile home right now. When Dh goes to the duty station me and the kids are going to be staying with my dad until Dh finds us a place to live or housing becomes available. If I'm not doing a DITY move will the movers come and pack our things and store them until we have a place or should we pack it ourselves and put it in storage then have the movers come get it when we're ready??
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    any advice?? anyone??
  3. Missing you more each day...
    Missing you more each day...
    Was the process long to go back active? Dh really wants to go back active when he gets back but I heard they loose rank He's not to happy in the gaurd and misses being AD. Since he's deployed right now he's not getting much info but he has a little over a yr left on his contract. If you can give me any info it would be great thanks.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    As long as you guys are married now, they should move you guys when you are ready. I am not sure if there is a time limit on it though. Have your DH ask when he goes to MEPs.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't think the movers will put your stuff in storage but I'm not sure.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by letgo0527
    Ok, it's official, we are going from National Guard to active duty next month. I don't know where our duty station will be, and I won't know until DH goes to MEPS. Here's my situation....

We live in a 3 bedroom mobile home right now. When Dh goes to the duty station me and the kids are going to be staying with my dad until Dh finds us a place to live or housing becomes available. If I'm not doing a DITY move will the movers come and pack our things and store them until we have a place or should we pack it ourselves and put it in storage then have the movers come get it when we're ready??
    You should be able to have your husband choose the move date, & pick one kind of far in advance so he has time to find y'all a place to live. I always let the movers pack for us becasue if you pack the stuff yourself you will need to put numbers on the boxes & have a list of whats in all of them. If you dont they will have to open everything & make a list themselves. They may have to open the boxes anyways just to make sure nothings in there that they're not allowed to transport is in the boxes. They wont be accountable if anything is broken if you do pack yourself though, so i would suggest just letting them do it.

Quote Originally Posted by shelle_02 View Post
    Was the process long to go back active? Dh really wants to go back active when he gets back but I heard they loose rank He's not to happy in the gaurd and misses being AD. Since he's deployed right now he's not getting much info but he has a little over a yr left on his contract. If you can give me any info it would be great thanks.
    Honestly your best bet would be to wait until his contract is up, then go into a recruiting station the next day & they can give him his options. Its alot easier. DH ended up doing that since to get out of the guard he was told it was at least a 6mo. long process once paperwork was started, plus he would most likely would have been required to deploy first for them to release him. He didnt lose rank though
  7. Banned
    Banned
    if you pack anything they are required to unpack and repack- and they can store your stuff for up to 90 days free- but they have to pick it up and take it the new duty station.

there is also a weight limit based on rank and with or with out dependants- if you go over it can be pretty costly.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle_02 View Post
    No it wasn't long at all. He actually started talking about it mid November. As long as you jump on it and get all the right paperwork in it's a breeze. The toughest part is getting his unit to release him, sometimes they're a pain in the ass about it. His recruiter told him he might lose rank, which sucks because he just got promoted at the beginning of this month to SPC. But his civilian job is about to go under because of the economy so we have to do something quick.

ALSO if your dh got a bonus from the National Guard for joining you'll want to wait 6 months or longer to go active because if you do it less than 6 months the Guard will probably ask for the bonus back.
  9. Missing you more each day...
    Missing you more each day...
    Quote Originally Posted by letgo0527 View Post
    No it wasn't long at all. He actually started talking about it mid November. As long as you jump on it and get all the right paperwork in it's a breeze. The toughest part is getting his unit to release him, sometimes they're a pain in the ass about it. His recruiter told him he might lose rank, which sucks because he just got promoted at the beginning of this month to SPC. But his civilian job is about to go under because of the economy so we have to do something quick.

ALSO if your dh got a bonus from the National Guard for joining you'll want to wait 6 months or longer to go active because if you do it less than 6 months the Guard will probably ask for the bonus back.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes he did get a bonus but his contract is almost up with them. He tried going active before but his unit wouldnt let him go and then they were stop lose I hope it doesnt take to long when he does it. He doesnt want to wait till his contract is up cause he's trying to see if he can get a reenlistment bonus while being deployed .