Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hawaii Move Experts!!! Proof for me please?

1. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries

Hawaii Move Experts!!! Proof for me please?

Advertisements
    Ok, I wrote this super long winded thing to send out to families, and I'm scared to send it out without some proofing for errors. If anyone who knows about moving to Hawaii would check it for me, I'd really appreciate it!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With the Holidays behind us, and the Change of Homeport getting closer, I thought it would be a good time to send out some general info and resources. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer, I'll try to find someone who does.

Bear with me - there is a lot of info below. If you find any discrepancies, please let me know.

Just a reminder - the Command is hosting a Family Boat Night at (*&(*&(*&(*&(*&(*, where most of this information and more will be discussed. The Fleet and Family Support Center will be there with a presentation on making an Overseas Move. We are hoping that a representative from Personnel Support Detachment will be there as well to explain the allowances involved in moving overseas.

ANIMALS AND HAWAII
    I probably sound like a broken record, but I want to stress again that if you are moving to Hawaii and you have pets, please start that process immediately if you haven't already. Dogs and cats have to go through a tedious entry process to avoid a 120-day quarantine and hefty fees. The process typically takes about 6 months from beginning to arrival. Other pets have their own requirements, and some aren't allowed on Island at all, so please check to make sure you are prepared.

The website for information regarding pet entry to Hawaii is:
    http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info

If you are travelling with pets, make your hotel arrangements as soon as possible. There are not many TLA approved hotels that allow pets, so plan early. The Navy Lodge has 4 rooms that allow pets and they fill up fast.

If you decide to board them instead, the Army MWR offers a reasonably priced kennel service.
    http://www.mwrarmyhawaii.com/leisure.../mwrkennel.asp

GENERAL HAWAII INFO
    Moving to Hawaii can be fun and adventurous, but it can also be a culture shock. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the area and all its benefits before arriving. There are plenty of ways to do that, but here are just a few.

Military One Source is full of information. Look up each base on Oahu - they might all have different tidbits about the area. Start with Pearl Harbor, but also check out Kanoehe Marine Corp Base, Schofield Barracks, and Hickam Air Force Base. This page has a ton of links about moving in the military. From here, you can research all the areas, bases, etc. as well as find resources on moving in general.
    http://www.militaryonesource.com/ski...d-cd7199006508

The Pearl Harbor Fleet and Family Support Center is another way to learn about what's available to you on the Island.
    http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/agenc...ly+support+ctr)
    Once you are on Island, the FFSC is also a great resource while you get settled. There are computers available to spouses for email, job searches, etc. Just check in at the reception desk to get set up.

HOUSING
    It's a good idea to research housing options and different areas of the island before you arrive and have to make a decision. Keep in mind though, whether you want Navy housing or Civilian Housing, you MUST check into the housing office within 72 hours of your arrival on island!

Navy housing is wonderful on Oahu, and it's all privatized now through Forest City. Their website is http://www.fcnavyhawaii.com/.

Housing has a two pet limit, with breed restrictions, so plan for that if you are taking pets.

If you would rather live out in town, check out www.ahrn.gov for rental listings. You can also check out www.hicentral.com or www.militarybyowner.com, though we can not endorse those websites, and mention them for your information only.

If you run into trouble finding housing, contact the Civilian Housing Referral Office on Fort Shafter for a referral. You can call them at 808-483-1518. But please remember to only do this AFTER checking into the Pearl Harbor Housing Office.

Make sure that your Page 2 is up to date before you move. If you have any changes to your family, they must be reflected on your Page 2 for housing to accommodate you. (For example, if you have a baby between now and then, you will not qualify for a 3 bedroom if the baby is not listed on your sailor's Page 2.) If you will be arriving when your sailor is not on island, please make sure to have the proper Power of Attorney to be able to make changes yourself. This will also enable you to start the proper pay and allowances for being in Hawaii with dependents. Having specific Powers of Attorneys that may never get used is better than not having them when you need them!

Housing wait times are not as bad as they used to be, and if you apply in advance, the housing office will be prepared for you. Most families are offered a home within a week of arriving on Island! So even if you think you might try for civilian housing, get that Housing Application in early just in case. Also, make your housing appointment as soon as you get your flight information. The appointment needs to be within the first 72 hours you are on Island, but set it up as soon as possible.

If you have an Exceptional Family Member, please give housing a heads up ASAP so they can be prepared for your arrival.

PLANNING YOUR MOVE
    As you probably know, the Change of Homeport has been authorized, and your sailor should be getting his individual Change of Homeport Letter shortly after stand down ends on January 5th. Once you have that letter, you should be able to start making the preparations to move. There are three move periods authorized spanning the first half of the year. Please check with your sailor so find out which period you should plan for.

There are two main ways to start planning your move - by attending an Overseas Move Briefing in person, or on the Internet with Smart Web Move.This briefing is NOT the same as the presentation at the Family Boat Night. If your sailor has never been stationed overseas, it is strongly advised by the Personal Property Office that you attend the Overseas Move Brief. Or, if your Household Goods will be shipped from somewhere other than Hampton Roads, such as a Home of Record, then you will need to attend the brief as well. If you've been stationed overseas before and you have no special circumstances, then you can choose to do it online via Smart Web Move. You can NOT do both.

To make an appointment for the Overseas Move Brief with Personal Property after receiving your Homeport Change Letter, go to:
    http://www.timetrade.com/navy/index.asp

To access Smart Web Move to start the process without the brief, go to:
    http://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/swm/index.jsp

For more general info on moving, visit:
    http://www.lifelines.navy.mil/lifeli...tion/index.htm

Between Lifelines and Military One Source, there are a ton of checklists and calendars to help you plan your move. They are great resources to make things easier!

Plan to use the Express Shipment Option. Officially, the travel time for your regular household goods shipment is 51 days. You can send an Express Shipment of limited weight ahead of that, which takes closer to 35 days. It is recommended to send important items, favorite toys, etc in the Express Shipment, so you can have your comfort items in the new place. There is a lending locker for basic items at the Fleet and Family Support Center, and furniture can be borrowed from The Housing Office while you wait for your regular Household Goods.

VEHICLES
    The Navy is only going to ship one vehicle for you. You can choose to ship another at your cost. Operation Opportune Lift has been mentioned at previous FRG meetings as a possible option for your 2nd vehicle. However, it turns out you have to pay to store the vehicle while it waits for shipment, so it is not as economical as we previously thought. There is also no guarantee that it will ever be shipped.

According to the FFSC in Hawaii, vehicles are much more expensive on Island. So much so that people can usually order a vehicle from the West Coast and pay to ship it to the Island for a total cost less than buying the same vehicle on Island. Keep this in mind when making decisions about keeping/selling/shipping vehicles.

If you choose to ship a 2nd vehicle, you can do so for a reasonable rate from the West Coast. One main company for this is Matson. You can learn more at http://www.matson.com/pov/booking/shipping_rates.htm. Also, if you choose to ship from the West Coast, you can request a per diem and mileage allowance for your cross country travel.

Horizon ships from the East Coast for considerably more, but it's certainly more convenient. You can get a quote online at http://www.horizonautoservices.com/.

TRICARE
    When you arrive on Island, you should change your Health Care Region as soon as possible to TriWest. You can do this on base. There is a Benefits office just inside the Makalapa Gate, across the parking lot from the Makalapa Clinic.

Plan for prescriptions and routine care ahead of time, so you will be covered during the move.

If you or a family member needs care during the move, consider these two policies:
    1. Emergency care for life, limb, or sight is authorized.
    2. Urgent care for all other reasons should be preauthorized by your current region.

Also, if you will make a stop of greater than 30 days outside of our current region, before arriving in Hawaii, please change your region accordingly for that time period, and then change again when the move is complete.

To plan ahead, you can access www.triwest.com.

Finally, make sure you update DEERS when you get to Hawaii. You can do so at:
    http://tricare.mil/mybenefit/Profile...bility%2FDEERS

FINANCES
    The cost of an overseas move is high, no matter how well planned. The Navy has a set of allowances to help you make this move.

The Dislocation Allowance is a set amount to help offset the cost of obtaining new housing, etc.

The Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) is to help offset the costs of temporary lodging when you arrive on Island. Please make sure to pick a TLA approved hotel, and ask for the TLA rate when making reservations. Once housing offers you a house, you will lose your TLA, even if you turn the house down. Checking into housing is critical to receiving your TLA benefit. When picking a hotel, keep traffic in mind for your commute to base. What might look really close on a map could actually take over an hour to drive, especially with rush hour or if you're in Waikiki!

In Hawaii, you will receive COLA (Cost of Living Allowance), but please keep in mind that living in Hawaii truly is more expensive, so build the COLA into your budget wisely. To receive the correct COLA amount, make sure your Page 2 is correct and get your Change of Homeport Letter authorized as soon as possible when you get to the Island. If your sailor arrives before you do, he will receive the single COLA rate until you arrive. Also, your page 2 location will dictate the BAH rate, so make sure to update that once you arrive as well.

There is much more to know about the financial aspects of an overseas move, and I hope that we receive a lot of info at the Family Boat night! As I gather more information about the allowances, etc. I'll be sure to pass it along.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    it is great- however you may want to add that the military will reimburse for pet quarentine fees up to 550 dollars per PCS. you can find that info in the FAQ section of the per diem website.
  3. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    it is great- however you may want to add that the military will reimburse for pet quarentine fees up to 550 dollars per PCS. you can find that info in the FAQ section of the per diem website.
    HOLY CRAPAROONIES! I did not know that! Thank you so much!!!!!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    LOL your welcome!!!
  5. Senior Member
    also with the vehicle stuff if they don't currently own the car they need to have it released from the finance company to you (or the shipping company not sure which one) before they'll ship it...also check to make sure that taking it to the island doesn't void the warranty...I dont' think it does with Military moves, but my parents had to find a loop hole in their brand new car because they were going to tell them that taking it to the island would void out the warranty even though they were still in the US.
  6. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mackenziesmommy View Post
    also with the vehicle stuff if they don't currently own the car they need to have it released from the finance company to you (or the shipping company not sure which one) before they'll ship it...also check to make sure that taking it to the island doesn't void the warranty...I dont' think it does with Military moves, but my parents had to find a loop hole in their brand new car because they were going to tell them that taking it to the island would void out the warranty even though they were still in the US.
    Thanks! That's crazy about the warranty. Niether of ours are under warranty anymore, so I would never have thought of that.
  7. Junior Member
    What's the deal with the pets? I don't want to quarantine her so I'd like to start early. We're going overseas in June. I just had her go to the vet. What else do I need to do?
  8. Senior Member
    Oh boy, there's an extremely weird and long process, but if you follow that link she posted it will tell you what needs to be done in order to avoid the quaratine on the island. Save yourself a couple thousand dollars as well.