Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this whole thing... need some help!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help New to this whole thing... need some help!

Advertisements
    hello there,

I am new to this whole thing. My hubby is already on base in Yuma, AZ. We are waiting for housing to give us the house. We are staying on base. How does the whole moving company thing work? They came to your home and pack everything?... how long does it take to get to the new location? What will happen if I get there before my stuff?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    The government will contract with a moving company to get your Household Goods. Your husband will need to initiate that process, but assuming he's already listed as having a family, they should be telling him what he needs to do (go to the HHG office, make an appt, etc).

If you and the HHG are someplace separate from him right ow (as in, maybe he's coming from training?), then he needs to give you Power of Attorney and he needs to cntact the HHG office on his base so they can tell you what you need to do.

the move itself is easy- whichever moving company is contracted will send someone out to estimate size/weight of your HHG. The movers do everything; you don't have to pack anything (in fact, you shouldn't pack anything). They'll set up a date to move your things; it could be a one-day or a two-day operation. When the HHG shipment gets to Yuma, you'll be notified by the HHG office on base to make an appointment for delivery. It could take a week, it could take a month for delivery.

There is also an option to do an Express Shipment of the things you'll absolutely need, but the weight on that is very limited. Before committing to an Express Shipment, find out if there is a Lending Closet on the base for you to borrow kitchen supplies, a few pieces of furniture, maybe a TV, etc.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Eelo: to clarify the express shipment is only available for OCONUS moves- it cannot be used for conus to conus moves.

but OP you have the option of doing a PARTIAL PPM and getting reimbursed for bringing stuff with you in your vehicle. your DH will have to apply for this at the time he does his initial paperwork.

he will also need to ask for the DLA , per diem, Malt and TLE if you are planning to use it.
  4. Senior Member
    We did a DITY move of my belongings and my husbands were moved by the shipping company because they had previously been put in storage. I just thought I'd comment mostly because the movers didn't get here with DH's stuff until we had been here for a month.

Our neighbors did what you are doing from TX to here and they too, were here for 1 month ( a little more actually ) before their stuff got here. They just packed the basics in their car with them for the most part and lived without everything else until it got here.

Definitely find out if there is a place on base (our's is the Airman's Attic) where you can get things for free that you might need - furniture, tv, kitchen stuff. You can keep these things for as long as you need and most will give them back to help someone else when they have no use for them.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    hi, thanks for writing back.
    I am soooo confused, LOL all the HHD,OP, DH.. all new to me...sorry. HHG? Power of Attorney.. I don't have that. I am right now in Florida and he is already at the base. Ihav 2 little ones that still sleep in cribs.. how will that work? I need all their toys and play pin... The Lending place... how can I find out more about it?

My hubby told me that they would fly me out there instead of me having to drive. Would my mother in law be able to go with me until we settle down.. so she can help me out with the kids?
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by angie24 View Post
    I am soooo confused, LOL all the HHD,OP, DH.. all new to me...sorry. HHG? Power of Attorney.. I don't have that. I am right now in Florida and he is already at the base. Ihav 2 little ones that still sleep in cribs.. how will that work? I need all their toys and play pin... The Lending place... how can I find out more about it?

My hubby told me that they would fly me out there instead of me having to drive. Would my mother in law be able to go with me until we settle down.. so she can help me out with the kids?

first of all take a deep breathe-- really take a deep breath RIGHT now!! LOL

as for the HHG= household goods

power of attorney- you will need this in order to conduct any business on his behalf including doing anything with the PCS -

as for the cribs: welcome to military life; you can see if there is a lending locker that has cribs or pack and plays you can borrow.

yes you can fly- yes they will pay for you to fly- but you will only be allowed one checked bag per person, and each child will get a seat:

how they will figure the cost for the flight is by taking the per diem x the number of authorised travel days: if you have 8 days to get from FL you will get 109 per day for you= 872.00 81.25 for each child 650 each and then (guess) 2400 miles for mileage at 24 cents a mile= 576: so in all you would be entitled to 2748.00 to drive- so they would pay for your tix 100% to fly- but you will not get any money that is left over.

if you want your MIL to go you will pay for that out of pocket.

disclaimer: this is only an estimate and without knowing the exact number of travel days and authorised miles I cannot give a anything more than that.

otherwise HTH's
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

HHG- Household Goods (I meant to put that in the post, sorry)
    DH/DB/DD/DS/ODD- family members; 'dear' (or pick another work) husband, daughter, son, stepson, older dear daughter, etc.
    OP- Original Poster/Original Post

I think there's a sticky somewhere on the site about military acronyms.

Your mother is law can go with you, but that would be at your expense (and I certainly recommend it- she'd be a great help).

There should be a website for the base that can help you with more information. Here's a start: http://www.yuma.usmc-mccs.org/
    but that's more about the recreational services available.

Military One Source is a great place for information: http://www.militaryonesource.com/skins/MOS/home.aspx
    They have a moving/relocation page that should be helpful, and they have a page specifically about Yuma: http://www.militaryinstallations.dod...e=50&x=30&y=11
    On that page, you can check out inbound HHG (you will be 'inbound,' you're just getting there).

They also have a link for their Loan Closet.

You'll be fine!
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    thanks!
    I took a really long deep breath! lol

sooo, i'm really nervous about the whole moving thing. i wanna be ready... but I'm not getting anywhere, my hubby is as clueless as me. either that or he's not giving me all the 411 that i need. stuff like this i really don't want surprises, i wanna be ready.

thank you so much for all the info that you have given me so far. i hope i am not bugging you... but can we start over?
    whats the first step i need to do right now?

housing has contacted him telling him that your place is ready.
    he is going monday to the office to see what he has to do in order to get me over there. whether i'm driving or flying. after he find that out... i'll tell you but... but should be the first step?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    thanks!
    I took a really long deep breath! lol

sooo, i'm really nervous about the whole moving thing. i wanna be ready... but I'm not getting anywhere, my hubby is as clueless as me. either that or he's not giving me all the 411 that i need. stuff like this i really don't want surprises, i wanna be ready.

thank you so much for all the info that you have given me so far. i hope i am not bugging you... but can we start over?
    whats the first step i need to do right now?

housing has contacted him telling him that your place is ready.
    he is going monday to the office to see what he has to do in order to get me over there. whether i'm driving or flying. after he find that out... i'll tell you but... but should be the first step?
    He has to go to Housing on Monday, that's good. They may give him an actual checklist of things to do. If he's already there and you're still in FL, he might need to get a Special Power of Attorney so that you can be the one to sign for the HHG and the movers. That way, you can call the hHG office at the closest military base where you are in FL and tey can work directly with you. They're accustomed to working with first-timers, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Now, if you fly, how will your car get there? Is there someone who can drive it for you? It might actually be better if you were able to drive with your MIL. You'll get a substantial amount of money for mileage and per diem for you and the two children (not for MIL), and that should be enough to cover your traveling expenses. With two drivers it shouldn't be so bad, and there are ample places to stop for the night along the way.

I'm not sure if the government will pay to ship a vehicle while you're INCONUS (within the Continental united States), so he will need to check on that too.

The nice thing is, you'll have housing waiting for you at the new base. That's very good; not everyone is so lucky. This means that when the long-distance movers get to Yuma with your stuff, they can unload it directly into your house rather than put it with a local short-term storage company. This means you'll only have to deal with one moving company, not two.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    the first thing he has to do for the movers is go to the bases TMO ( transportation management office) also known as TO ( transportation Office) depending on branch. while there they will go over his PCS options - GOV procured move, full PPM and Partial PPM ( PPM= personal procured move)
    then the TMO office will contact the movers for where you are to set up the appt to do a walk thru- they will come and walk thru estimating what you have and estimating the weight you have. then they will come back out , usually with in the same week and will spend 1-2 days packing and loading your stuff- some times they can do it in 1 day- sometimes packing on day 1 and loading on day 2- all depends on how much you have.

depending on time of yr- will decide how long your stuff will get to AZ- could be as little as 2 weeks or as long as 4 weeks. alot also depends if they have other stuff to pick up or drop off along the way.
    you will hear some families getting thier stuff in a few days even cross country- this does happen but usually only when they have a full trailer or almost full trailer already.

if you have a house waiting for you- contact the new base's lending locker to see what they have- I would do this before deciding to drive or fly- if they do not have the stuff you need you may be better off driving and bringing the 2 pack and plays for the kids to sleep in- along with everything else you will need right away.

the first move is always the worst and just know everyones first move is basically the same!

here is a booklet from the army/CG that might help :
    http://www.fincen.uscg.mil/HHG_files...Move_Sep07.pdf
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast