Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Don't even know if this exists...

1. Senior Member

Don't even know if this exists...

Advertisements
    Is there something called semi permanant residency? My DB is in the air force, and I thought he could apply for this and be able to get stationed in the same place for longer than normal. I would like to finish school before he moves again.

I guess a better question would be how long do airman usually stay at the base they are assigned to until they get orders for their next move? Is there any way you can try and stay there longer?

Any help would be much apreciated!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Never heard of anything like that, at least not for that reason, or anything that wasnt a life or death situations (and even that is rare).... not sure how long airman are stationed at their places... I know army they try to keep you there 3-4 years... But with the military, you never know... and no matter what they tell you, it can be changed at any minute
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    You may be refering to homesteading.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    what is homesteading?
  5. Banned
    Banned
    homesteading is when you take different jobs in the same location- like in the navy it is possible to homestead if there is a big base- they just go from ship to shore to ship to shore-
    no can 'apply" to homestead- you just keep trying to get billets located where you want to stay.

it is getting increasingly harder and harder for members to homestead- with all the downsizing it is even more difficult than in previous yrs.

with any branch expect to move from every 2-4 yrs. and expect some of those moves to be international and or cross country moves.
  6. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I think it would be fairly easy to homestead in the AF but it may depend on your job. We're trying to homestead here. It's fairly easy for us since he can go battalion to battalion.
  7. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.
    Tell your DB to try to go into a rare job field, or get under something like the SOW. That will at least limit the bases he can go to, but it still won't be a guarantee that he stays in one place.
    omnomnommynom
  8. Senior Member
    Unfortunatly, he picked the most deployable, most common job in the AF- security forces. At least that was what I was told.

9. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

AF usually move ever 2-4 yrs, however that totally depends on his job and unit and such. I know where we are, DH was told if he can't crosstrain into another career field, we could be here up to 6 or 8 yrs. A lot of the people I know have actually been here over 4 yrs. hope you can get what you want